37th OVI (OVVI) Issued Arms?

treebie2000

Corporal
Can anybody tell me where I can find information as to what muskets were issued to the 37th OVI?
Interested in knowing both initial and subsequent issues.
My ancestors served in this regiment, and I'm thinking about buying an original of the type that they fought with.
Are there even any records for this type of information?
Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

The best way to find out is either thru a regimental history or looking at photos. Below are 2 and they have different weapons. You might also look in the Ohio archives for ordnance records as the state issued them.
1567902604010.png

1567902687347.png

Thank you very much for the reply.
No published Regimental History that I'm aware of, but I will try and find some kind of Ohio archives for ordnance records.
Any Buckeyes out there know how/where to access this kind of information?
@ucvrelics where did you find the photos?

No published Regimental History that I'm aware of, but I will try and find some kind of Ohio archives for ordnance records.
There is one in the Library Of Congress LOC.gov

In August-ish 1861, Ohio armed the 37th OVI (one of three Ohio German regiments) with 485 rifled muskets, caliber .69; 180 Springfield rifle muskets, and 180 Enfield rifle muskets. They received a subsequent issue of 100 Enfield rifle muskets. (Ohio. Executive Documents, "Annual Report of the Quartermaster General to the Governor of Ohio for the year 1862", (Columbus: Richard Nevins, 1863). These are the weapons that Ohio issued the regiment while it was at Camp Dennison and it is not clear if the .69 caliber muskets were M1842s or converted M1816s. At some point (you'll have to look at the quarterly returns in the National Archives to find out when) the federal government replaced the obsolete .69 caliber muskets with more modern rifled muskets, either Springfields or Enfields. Those returns are on microfilm and will tell you what the subsequent issue was.

Ohio Executive Documents

Annual Report of the Quartermaster General to the Governor of the State of Ohio for the year 1862. Columbus, Richard Nevins, State Printer, 1863

Report of the Superintendent of Arsenal

Total arms issued to Ohio troops

37th OVI - 485 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 180 Springfield rifle muskets, and 180 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 100 Enfield rifle muskets.

This was posted as transcribed documents on the Authentic Campaigner, back in July 2004.

The archives will be at the Ohio History Connection in Columbus, Ohio. They have an online catalog of their records. It's hard to tell exactly what you will find. Most likely, the information will be in one of the larger books that list arms issued. However, they did not always provide a lot of detail on the arms. If they were issued U.S. owned arms, they might have more details, if state owned arms, they might just be listed as "muskets". For instance, when the 8th Ohio Independent Battery ONG was deployed to Johnsons Island, they were issued "20 prussian muskets" .

you can get a library card at the front desk when you enter the building. there is no charge for access to the library. The library staff are very helpful.

http://catalog.ohiohistory.org/Presto/home/home.aspx

When they were mustered into service ( and where) may have a bearing on what they were issued. early in the war, the States Provided the arms and equipment, later on, the U.S. Gov. provided U.S. owned arms to the state arsenals to issue to troops entering federal service.
also, depending on availability of arms, they could have been mustered into service, then transported to a camp at some other location to receive arms and equipment. This happened with 1st Ohio Battery A - they were mustered into service, sent to a camp, and it was almost a month later before they received their guns.

Last edited:
Back