33rd USCT 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Civil War uniform artist often include an illustration of this regiment. However, most artist stick to the blue frock coats and scarlet trousers. This illustration by Roger Sturcke for an uniform plate by Anthony F. Gero adds a few extra details of their uniforms. Period woodcuts and photos were used to provide the information. Note the black overcoat.
sc 77.jpg

The men and officer did not care for the scarlet trousers and asked for blue trousers. In a letter by Thomas Wentworth Higginson he tells of the blue trousers being dark blue. It appears that the author and artist also wanted to show light blue trousers and a sack coat being worn by the soldier on the left.

Civil War uniform artist often include an illustration of this regiment. However, most artist stick to the blue frock coats and scarlet trousers. This illustration by Roger Sturcke for an uniform plate by Anthony F. Gero adds a few extra details of their uniforms. Period woodcuts and photos were used to provide the information. Note the black overcoat.
View attachment 192273

The men and officer did not care for the scarlet trousers and asked for blue trousers. In a letter by Thomas Wentworth Higginson he tells of the blue trousers being dark blue. It appears that the author and artist also wanted to show light blue trousers and a sack coat being worn by the soldier on the left.

This is quite interesting. Do you know where this image is from?

- Alan

The image in post #1 was published in the fall 1977 issue of the Journal of the Company of Military Historians with the color plate published in black and white. The large 14 by 11 inch color was available to Company members for an additional costs in 1977.

Anthony F. Gero is a well-known author of articles and books about U.S. uniforms. He is known for New York uniforms, other eastern uniforms from the mid 1800s, and uniforms of black Civil War units.

The image in post #1 is now over 40 years old and one would think that others have studied the dress of this regiment so new studies should be available. Most uniform artist concentrate on the blue frock coats and red trousers which were only worn for a short time. I do understand that the red trousers are interesting, however, some people could assume that the regiment wore these uniforms for much of the War.

For members who do not recognize Antony Gero, he has contributed much information to the Journal of the Company of Military Historians on a wide range of subjects. This includes numerous articles and he authored 45 uniform plates which use the art of more than on artist. 14 of his uniform plates cover the Civil War with 7 of these covering black units from the Civil War.

As I said Gero has authored 14 uniform plates covering units is the Civil War with half of those being USCT. This is an article using a different artist. Note the drummer in the red fez is from the 33rd USCT 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry. I added this image to show the Zouave jacket and red fez worn by the drummer of the USCT 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry which was not include in the image in post #1. The use of the Zouave jacket and red fez on the drummer is interesting because it seems like the 33rd USCT 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry was perhaps seen as a semi Zouave units?
sc 1222.jpg

The others are: front left, 2d Regiment Louisiana Native Guards; front right, 79th USCT; second row left, white band leader 107th USCT; center, 107th USCT; second row right, Corps d' Afrique. The unit the dog was in is not given. Of interest is the scarlet trousers worn by the drummer of the 107th USCT.

Is the illustration #3 a movie poster? I seem to remember it from an old Clark Gable/Harry Bellefonte movie. I don't remember the name of trhe movie.

No? I think the image in post #3 is a Don Troiani painting.

Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting. I just happen to be doing some research on the 33rd as I have a 3x cousin who was a 2nd Lt Co D. One of my projects this year is putting together more information on the what and where of my ACW ancestors.

My father was Roger D Sturcke the researcher and artist of this plate and many other through the Company of Military Historians as a fellow here are the original art works I own. He has the most extensive library his work was very in-depth. He passed away May 2017 kidney cancer from when he was a marine at camp lejeune 55 years ago exposed to contaminated water. He and Anthony Gero were great friends and an amazing team. He is greatly missed.
AC3863B8-2A90-47D2-A7E7-789D5F590484.jpeg
CD2A99C1-6FBC-4856-8D0C-7501FB420C0A.jpeg
4638E4AA-3562-4E25-9D6D-B9DF7F5D9F27.jpeg

I am a member of the Company of Military Historians and met both of them. They contributed so much to the Company of Military Historians and certainly the Company would have been less with out them working as a team. Gerco is still a real assit to the Company. When every they published a uniform plate it was well done both from a historical perspective and an art perspective.

W have a discussion of the 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry and thought I might bump this fine discussion about their uniforms.

Back