3 Land Brothers Born In Kentucky, Two Yanks & 1 Reb

Screenshot (34).png

I Found these three Civil War Veterans years ago while researching my Kentucky ancestors. They may or may not be part of my family tree, but I thought their story was interesting and worth telling. The brother on the left and the one in the center fought for the Union. The one on the right was a Confederate. One of their direct descendants passed on the family story that on every annual 4th of July family gathering following the war, Judge, John Thomas Land (in the center), would have words with the ex-Confederate brother, with the other brother playing the part of peacemaker. All 3 were probably born in Madison County, Kentucky, where their parents were married in 1830. By 1850 the family had settled in Indiana. By 1860, I imagine the Rebel brother had probably made his way to Arkansas or Missouri Another name for the Civil War with some folks is "The Brother's War". This photo is certainly evidence of that.

William Jackson Land Residence Greensburg IN; Enlisted and mustered on 6/12/1861 as a Private into Company A 17th Indiana Infantry / 26th Indiana Light Artillery. He was Mustered Out on 5/22/1864. I believe he then: Re-enlisted and mustered on 2/1/1865 as a Private into "D" Co. Indiana 144th Infantry. He was Mustered Out on 8/5/1865. William died in Crawford County, Missouri, November 30, 1919

John Thomas Land Residence Charleston Illinois; Enlisted on 8/13/1862 as a Private. On 9/8/1862 he mustered into "E" Co. IL 97th Infantry. 31 years old, 5' 9, DARK HAIR, HAZEL EYES, DARK COMPLEXION, MARRIED, OCCUPATION FARMER, On 1/10/1865 he transferred into Veteran Reserve Corps. Mustered out at Washington, D.C. JUN 26, 1865. Post-war Lawyer and Judge. Member of GAR Post # 158 (Rose Hill) in Rose Hill, Illinois. Died 7/28/1927 in Jasper County, Illinois.

Ervin Milton Land Confederate 1st Sergeant Enlisted 4 Aug 1861 at Crane Creek, Missouri. Promoted 23 Feb 1863. Wounded 28 Jul 1864 at Ezra Church, Ga. On the hospital rolls at Meridian, Mississippi 4 Feb 1865. Died in Crawford County, Missouri, May 28, 1919.

william jackson land marker.jpg

In obtaining his pension, William's attorney was his brother.

william j. land pension.jpg

john thomas land marker.jpg

record-image_undefined.jpg

I was unable to locate a Confederate pension application for Ervin. No mention of his Confederate service on his marker.

e.m.land marker.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 308146

I Found these three Civil War Veterans years ago while researching my Kentucky ancestors. They may or may not be part of my family tree, but I thought their story was interesting and worth telling. The brother on the left and the one in the center fought for the Union. The one on the right was a Confederate. One of their direct descendants passed on the family story that on every annual 4th of July family gathering following the war, Judge, John Thomas Land (in the center), would have words with the ex-Confederate brother, with the other brother playing the part of peacemaker. All 3 were probably born in Madison County, Kentucky, where their parents were married in 1830. By 1850 the family had settled in Indiana. By 1860, I imagine the Rebel brother had probably made his way to Arkansas or Missouri Another name for the Civil War with some folks is "The Brother's War". This photo is certainly evidence of that.

William Jackson Land Residence Greensburg IN; Enlisted and mustered on 6/12/1861 as a Private into Company A 17th Indiana Infantry / 26th Indiana Light Artillery. He was Mustered Out on 5/22/1864. I believe he then: Re-enlisted and mustered on 2/1/1865 as a Private into "D" Co. Indiana 144th Infantry. He was Mustered Out on 8/5/1865. William died in Crawford County, Missouri, November 30, 1919

John Thomas Land Residence Charleston Illinois; Enlisted on 8/13/1862 as a Private. On 9/8/1862 he mustered into "E" Co. IL 97th Infantry. 31 years old, 5' 9, DARK HAIR, HAZEL EYES, DARK COMPLEXION, MARRIED, OCCUPATION FARMER, On 1/10/1865 he transferred into Veteran Reserve Corps. Mustered out at Washington, D.C. JUN 26, 1865. Post-war Lawyer and Judge. Member of GAR Post # 158 (Rose Hill) in Rose Hill, Illinois. Died 7/28/1927 in Jasper County, Illinois.

Ervin Milton Land Confederate 1st Sergeant Enlisted 4 Aug 1861 at Crane Creek, Missouri. Promoted 23 Feb 1863. Wounded 28 Jul 1864 at Ezra Church, Ga. On the hospital rolls at Meridian, Mississippi 4 Feb 1865. Died in Crawford County, Missouri, May 28, 1919.

View attachment 308147

View attachment 308148

View attachment 308149

View attachment 308163

I was unable to locate a Confederate pension application for Ervin. No mention of his Confederate service on his marker.

View attachment 308151
View attachment 308146

View attachment 308147

View attachment 308148

View attachment 308149

View attachment 308163

View attachment 308151
E.M. Land 2nd Ark. Mtd. Rifiles.jpg

Second Arkansas Mounted Riflemen

The Second Arkansas Mounted Riflemen was organized
in the summer of 1861, with James McIntosh, colonel;
Ben T. Embry, lieutenant-colonel; — Brown, major;
W. D. DeBerry, surgeon; W. A. C. Sayle, assistant sur-
geon. Colonel McIntosh was educated at the United States
military academy. He was impetuous to a degree that
scorned all caution. Being ordered by General McCulloch
into the Indian Territory against the Creek chief, Hopo-
eithleyohola, he dispersed the Indian Federal organiza-
tion. It is said his regiment was deployed in groups of
two for five miles, when he at its head began the attack
upon the Indian camp. He was speedily promoted to
brigadier-general, and Embry became colonel. The cap-
tains were Gibson, Parker, King, Arrington, Harris
Flanagin, Witherspoon, Brown and Gamble. General
McIntosh was killed at the battle of Elkhorn Tavern, or
Pea Ridge. The regiment was ordered to Mississippi
and was reorganized at Corinth, when Capt. Harris Flan-
agin was elected colonel; Maj. J. A. Williamson, lieuten-
ant-colonel; Capt. James P. Eagle, major. Colonel Flan-
agin being elected governor of the State, Williamson
became colonel and Eagle, lieutenant-colonel. Colonel
Williamson lost a leg at the battle of Resaca, May, 1864,
and J. T. Smith, appointed colonel, was killed in battle
July 28th, James P. Eagle then succeeding him as colonel
of the regiment. Ten years afterward, Colonel Eagle was
speaker of the house of representatives, and after another
decade was elected governor of Arkansas, as which he
served two terms. Captain Witherspoon became attorney-
general. The regiment took part in the battles of Oak
Hills and Elkhorn, and in the Kentucky campaign
under E. Kirby Smith. Among its battles were Rich-
mond, Ky., Murfreesboro, Jackson, Miss., Chickamauga,
Resaca, Atlanta, Ezra Church, Lovejoy's Station, Jones-
boro, Moore's Station, Franklin, Tenn., Nashville, Sugar
Creek, and Bentonville, N. C. It surrendered with
Johnston, April 26, 1865, at Greensboro, N. C.

My name is Glen Land. I am a direct descendant of Ervin Milton Land who is my great-great-grandfather. Ervin Milton, his son William Pleasant, and his grandson (my grandfather) Leon Holman Land are all buried in the Crossroads Baptist Church Cemetery 3.4 miles SE of Leasburg, Missouri. I have visited that cemetery many times. I would like to clear up some misinformation about Ervin. Nothing in the stories that have been passed down about Ervin suggest that he ever served in either the Confederate or Union armies. According to family tradition he actually paid another man to serve for him in the Union army. Nor would it make much sense for a man living in EC Illinois to go to SW Missouri to enlist in the Confederate army.
Ervin Milton Land.jpg

There is also a family tradition about William ("Uncle Billy") Land. It was said that Billy went to his grave hating rebels. When on his deathbed a family member asked the local Baptist minister (who fought for the Confederacy) to call on this unrepentant old sinner. The preacher asked him, "Billy, do you want me to pray for you?" Billy responded, "Hell no I don't want you to pray for me. If I wanted somebody to pray for me I'd get a reliable person, not some **** rebel!" As my late father always ended the story, the Devil had Uncle Billy before his feet got cold.

My name is Glen Land. I am a direct descendant of Ervin Milton Land who is my great-great-grandfather.
This post caught my attention because I have a LAND in my family tree. I will need to pull up my Tree.

My Gr-Grandfather, Sarah E. Land, was born in Mississippi in 1838 and married(1st) Benjamin F. Tucker, who died in Atlanta in 1864.

This post caught my attention because I have a LAND in my family tree. I will need to pull up my Tree.

My Gr-Grandfather, Sarah E. Land, was born in Mississippi in 1838 and married(1st) Benjamin F. Tucker, who died in Atlanta in 1864.
I am not aware of any relatives in Mississippi or Georgia, but one never knows.

Nor would it make much sense for a man living in EC Illinois to go to SW Missouri to enlist in the Confederate army.
Glen and I have the same first & last names. I spell Glenn with two "N's". We're probably distant cousins.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/30093931

Here's the entire record. It states he traveled 300 miles to enlist. (card # 2) looks like "Crane Creek Missouri".

View attachment 308146

View attachment 308147

View attachment 308148

View attachment 308149

View attachment 308163

View attachment 308151

That's interesting information to accompany the photograph of these three mature gentlemen. It adds a dimension and gives extra meanings.

My original post included a photo of three other Land brothers from Monroe County in East Tennessee, They were probably distant cousins of the first three, The brother in the center switched sides from Confederate to Union. The two on each end never returned to the Confederate Army following Vicksburg. Along with another brother not in the photo, three of the four relocated to Texas.

On my Mother's side of the family there were three brothers living in the hills of southeastern Kentucky. Two were in the Union Army and family lore says the third was in the Confederate Army. My searching to prove the story is inconclusive. The documents I have found leave me questioning the story, but not definitive enough to say for certain.

Ansil Gilliam enlisted in 1861 in the 7th Kentucky Infantry (US). He was discharged in May 1864 due to consumption. He died only a few days after arriving back home in Kentucky. His veteran headstone shows 7th Kentucky Infantry.

Cornelius Gilliam is listed on the 1890 Special Schedule of persons serving in the US army during the CW as enlisting in 1861 in the 7th Kentucky Infantry (US) and discharged in 1863. According to the pension index he re-enlisted in the 6th Kentucky Calvary (US). His veteran's marker also shows 6th Kentucky Cavalry.

Marion Gilliam has no records found to date with one exception. He is listed on the 1890 Special Schedule of persons serving in the US army during the CW. Unlike his brother Cornelius, the rest of the line showing rank, unit, enlistment/discharge dates, and length of service is blank. Why was it blank? Did he really serve in the Union army and simply did not provide the information or was he in the other army? His name is not in the pension index. No veterans marker at his grave. The mystery continues.

Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Kentucky spells their name as Gillum.

There was a Martin Gillum in Company H 18th KY Cavalry.

It's been my experience that family tradition seldom matches up with actual history. Family tradition said my Confederate 2 x great-grandfather was released from a Union prison in NY. and walked barefoot back to the mountains of NC. The historical record is, the Union Army provided him rail transportation probably as far as Wilkesboro. He then probably walked to his home in the Brushy Mountains of Wilkes County.

Something similar to your ancestors happened to a branch of my ancestors in East Tennessee. A 2 x great-granduncle that as far as I can tell, never served on either side. He had two brothers and a nephew that served in the Union Army and one brother in the Confederate. One Yankee brother and the Rebel brother died in the war. The Union widowed sister-in-law and the Union brother and nephew drew pensions, so Uncle Gus thought he'd apply for one too, but it didn't work!

The report that Ervin Milton Land did not serve in either army but instead paid a man to serve in his place in the Union Army was passed down by my late grandfather, Leon Holman Land (1897-1995) who heard it firsthand from Ervin himself. He was Ervin's grandson and was 22 years old when Ervin died. Since there's nothing particularly heroic about paying someone else to do your fighting for you, it doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be made up. Now if the story was that Great-Great-Grandpa Ervin once singlehandedly held off a cavalry church, then that would indeed be suspect!

The report that Ervin Milton Land did not serve in either army but instead paid a man to serve in his place in the Union Army was passed down by my late grandfather, Leon Holman Land (1897-1995) who heard it firsthand from Ervin himself. He was Ervin's grandson and was 22 years old when Ervin died. Since there's nothing particularly heroic about paying someone else to do your fighting for you, it doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be made up. Now if the story was that Great-Great-Grandpa Ervin once singlehandedly held off a cavalry church, then that would indeed be suspect!
Paying a replacement was something done by both sides, but it was rather costly. Usually reserved for the affluent of that day. $300.00 or about $5,000.00 in today's money. Sometimes the war is referred to as "rich man's war, poor man's fight".

Last edited:
Family tradition said my Confederate 2 x great-grandfather was released from a Union prison in NY. and walked barefoot back to the mountains of NC. The historical record is, the Union Army provided him rail transportation probably as far as Wilkesboro. He then probably walked to his home in the Brushy Mountains of Wilkes County.
By the time he got home it probably FELT like it had been all the way from New York :smile:

Back