CWT Presents 3/3/21 Wade Sokolosky - To Prepare for Sherman’s Coming: The Battle of Wise’s Forks, March 1865

Added to Calendar: 03/03/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1614611676425.png

CivilWarTalk Presents:
Wade Sokolosky
co-author of
To Prepare for Sherman’s Coming: The Battle of Wise’s Forks, March 1865
Wednesday, March 3, 2021, at 8:30pm EST

In A Live Video Presentation
The Battle of Wise’s (Wyse) Forks, March 7-11, 1865, has long been thought of as nothing more than an insignificant skirmish during the final days of the Civil War and relegated to a passing reference in a footnote if it is mentioned at all. Mark A. Smith’s and Wade Sokolosky’s To Prepare for Sherman’s Coming: The Battle of Wise’s Forks, March 1865 erases this misconception and elevates this combat, and its related operations, to the historical status it deserves.

Authors, Sokolosky and Smith, both career army officers, have used their expertise in military affairs to produce what is not only a valuable book on Wise’s Forks, but what surely must be the definitive study of one of the Civil War’s overlooked yet significant battles. Outstanding original maps by George Skoch coupled with period photographs reinforce the quality of this account and the authors’ commitment to excellence.

Our guest, Colonel (Ret) Wade Sokolosky, is a graduate of East Carolina University and a 25-year veteran of the U.S. Army. Wade is the co-author (with Mark A. Smith) of No Such Army Since the Days of Julius Caesar: Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign from Fayetteville to Averasboro, and the author of Final Roll Call: Confederate Losses during the Carolinas Campaign.

REGISTER NOW to reserve your seat.
Seating is limited! You don't need to be a CivilWarTalk member to attend.

Don't forget to mark the date on your calendar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to sharing the history of the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC), which was the first of four significant battles fought in the Old North State in March 1865 as part of Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's 1865 Carolinas Campaign. Two Weeks of Fury is how I describe these battles. Hope to see you online that evening.

After a break last week due to a cancellation, I know everyone is eager to get back together again!

Please plan to join us Wednesday, March 3rd at 8:30pm EST when our guest will be retired US Army Colonel Wade Sokolosky on the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC) which was part of Sheman's Carolinas Campaign. REGISTER

Looking forward to sharing the history of the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC), which was the first of four significant battles fought in the Old North State in March 1865 as part of Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's 1865 Carolinas Campaign. Two Weeks of Fury is how I describe these battles. Hope to see you online that evening.
Get 'er done Wade!

I just checked the registrations and WOW! Lots of people have already registered for Mr. Sokolosky's program tonight! If you haven't registered yet, don't worry. It's not too late!

Register now and plan to join us tonight Wednesday, March 3rd at 8:30pm EST when our guest will be retired US Army Colonel Wade Sokolosky on the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC) which was part of Sheman's Carolinas Campaign. REGISTER

I just checked the registrations and WOW! Lots of people have already registered for Mr. Sokolosky's program tonight! If you haven't registered yet, don't worry. It's not too late!

Register now and plan to join us tonight Wednesday, March 3rd at 8:30pm EST when our guest will be retired US Army Colonel Wade Sokolosky on the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC) which was part of Sheman's Carolinas Campaign. REGISTER
That's excellent. Looking forward to tonight.

There's still time to Register and plan to join us TONIGHT Wednesday, March 3rd at 8:30pm EST when our guest will be retired US Army Colonel Wade Sokolosky on the Battle of Wise's Forks (Kinston, NC) which was part of Sheman's Carolinas Campaign. REGISTER

Fantastic presentation tonight by Wade Sokolosky Thank you so much @CarolinasCampaign !

As promised, here are all the questions from the chat log. We were able to get to most of the questions during the Q/A. Just in case there were any that were missed or any that Mr. Sokolosky wanted to provide additional information for, I am including the entire content of the chat log below.

08:45 PM Timothy A. - Hi Mr. Sokolosky. have you ever heard of Joseph Crain Audenried. he was General Sherman’s Aide-De-Camp from the fall of 1863 till 1880 when Audenried dies in Washington DC. he is also depicted on the Sherman memorial in Washington. DC. i know its off the subject but he was my great great uncle. Thank You

08:48 PM @lelliott19 - Why didn't Sherman attack and capture Augusta? With the Arsenal and Powder Works there poorly defended, it seems like a much more important objective than some other places that he did select.

08:48 PM @Red Raider - What information did Bragg receive when he stopped Hill's attack on the Union flank and sent him North?

08:56 PM Ted K. - At what point in Sherman's Carolina Campaign was he most vulnerable to being stopped with no supply line?

09:02 PM @Red Raider - Is it possible to get copies of your map slides for future references?

09:08 PM Ted K. - Even after Ft. Fisher fell, Wilmington remained an important rail link (Wilmington-Manchester RR) between Richmond and points south such as Augusta which was site of a huge munitions plant.

09:08 PM @lelliott19 - Were the Tuscarora placed in their own companies of the 132nd NY? How many Tuscarora did you say there were?

09:10 PM Ted K. - This part of NC was the original homeland of the Tuscarora.

09:11 PM @jvarnell - Wade were the 71st NC Jr Reserves in Hoke's attack?

09:22 PM Ted K. - What was the fate of the captured Union troops?

09:24 PM Michael K. S. - Bragg supposedly sent D.H. Hill away during the battle, to confront a rumored Federal threat to the north. The intelligence proved faulty. In your research, did you unearth the origin of this information to Bragg? Great job, Wade! Thank you CivilWarTalk!

09:26 PM Kevin B. - So the Hoosier regiments basically saved the day (March 8 & 9)? Which Union state had the most troops present?

09:29 PM Patrick S - Thanks Wade. Great talk.

09:30 PM Allan P. - Great presentation. Thank you so much.

09:31 PM Ben A. - very interesting!!!

09:31 PM @NH Civil War Gal - Please consider joining Civilwartalk.com it's free. For as little as $12.00 a year, you can have a premium membership and have no ads!

09:31 PM Cindy C. - Thank you, Wade, for your presentation tonight! It was fabulous, and I learned quite a lot about these battles in North Carolina.

09:31 PM W Charles Y. - Great presentation! It is an equally great book. I highly recommend it!

09:32 PM Cindy C. - I look forward to reading your book.

09:33 PM @Dave DuBrucq - Ultimately, this battle had little effect on Sherman's Campaign, so how is this engagement important strategically, or was it?

09:33 PM Kevin B. - Colonel why are you interested in the Civil War and NC's participation in it? What did you do in the Army and your commissioning source as it relates to the War Between the States?

09:39 PM Michael C. - Been there a couple of times, by myself and with a tour group with Wade. Very well marked with a great auto tour brochure. And you can go to the museum there and see what’s left of the CSS Neuse! How did General George Greene get from Gettysburg to being on Cox’s staff?

09:40 PM @jvarnell - Cool, Bolen (Varnell) was in the 71st Jr Reserves....17 years old.

09:46 PM @A. Roy - About that question on the effect of Wise's Forks on Sherman's campaign: What difference did this battle make on the Battle of Bentonville and the way that battle went?

09:47 PM Michael K. S. - Main reason Sherman did not strike Augusta. He could not afford to delay his forces. The Confederate officials had taken the equipment apart and moved it westward via the rail.

09:47 PM @Dave DuBrucq - First rate presentation, thank you!

09:48 PM @Red Raider - I was in 327 Infantry at the 101st ABN DIV for close to 13 years from 2001-2013.

09:50 PM @VaMtLady - Great. This is the first I have heard much about the Carolina Campaign. Thank you.

09:50 PM @jvarnell - Well done Wade. Thanks!

09:51 PM Claudia H. - Great job as always Wade.

09:51 PM @A. Roy - Very exciting -- thanks, Wade!

A great presentation -- and excellent job by CWT staff!

@lelliott19, you had asked about the Raleigh powder mill explosion, which I was pretty sure was earlier in the war than Wise's Forks. The history Wake: Capital County of North Carolina, by Elizabeth Reid Murray, dates that explosion in June 1862; it partially destroyed the powder works on House Creek and killed four employees. The works were re-established nearby on Crabtree Creek. These kept operating until Union forces destroyed them after the occupation of Raleigh in April 1865. (Pages 469, 521)

Al Roy

Last edited:
A great presentation -- and excellent job by CWT staff!

@lelliott19, you had asked about the Raleigh powder mill explosion, which I was pretty sure was earlier in the war than Wise's Forks. The history Wake: Capital County of North Carolina, by Elizabeth Reid Murray, dates that explosion in June 1862; it partially destroyed the powder works on House Creek and killed four employees. The works were re-established nearby on Crabtree Creek. These kept operating until Union forces destroyed them after the occupation of Raleigh in April 1865. (Pages 469, 521)

Al Roy
Thank you for the kind words.

Back