Trivia 3-19-2020 3 Parter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
When war came, I was 46 years old. I offered my services as a nurse to my country. I was assigned to an infantry regiment and served with them from June 1861 to Christmas 1865. I saw action at 1st and 2nd Bull Run, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. I was captured twice, but released both times due to my tending to the wounded of both Union and Confederate soldiers. In one instance, a high ranking officer authorized my return to my own lines. Years after the war, my portrait was hung in the State House of my state. I never married.

1: What is my name and what regiment was I assigned to ?
2: Who was the high ranking officer that authorized my return to my own lines ?
3: What was the significance of my portrait being hung in the Sate House of my state ?

credit: @warbird43

Edit - Actually, this is a 4 parter, since the first question requires two answers.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Harriet PTience Dame - 2nd New Hampshire
2) Stonewall Jackson
3) Dame was the first women to be honored by having her portrait to be hung in New Hampshire.

Gilman Marston wrote of her, “Miss Dame is the bravest woman I ever knew. I have seen her face a battery without flinching, while a man took refuge behind her to avoid the flying fragments of bursting shells. Of all the men and women who volunteered to serve their country the late war, no one is more deserving of reward than Harriet P. Dame.”

Source

When war came, I was 46 years old. I offered my services as a nurse to my country. I was assigned to an infantry regiment and served with them from June 1861 to Christmas 1865. I saw action at 1st and 2nd Bull Run, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. I was captured twice, but released both times due to my tending to the wounded of both Union and Confederate soldiers. In one instance, a high ranking officer authorized my return to my own lines. Years after the war, my portrait was hung in the State House of my state. I never married.

1: What is my name and what regiment was I assigned to ?
2: Who was the high ranking officer that authorized my return to my own lines ?
3: What was the significance of my portrait being hung in the Sate House of my state ?

credit: @warbird43

1: Harriet Patience Dame, 2nd New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry
2: Stonewall Jackson
3: First portrait of a woman to be hung in the N Hampshire State House.

1: What is my name and what regiment was I assigned to? Helen Patience Dame, 2nd New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry.
2: Who was the high ranking officer that authorized my return to my own lines? Stonewall Jackson.
3: What was the significance of my portrait being hung in the Sate House of my state? Her's was the first portrait of a woman to hang in the New Hampshire State House.

Corrected name. Sorry for the typo.

1: What is my name and what regiment was I assigned to? Harriet Patience Dame, 2nd New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry.
2: Who was the high ranking officer that authorized my return to my own lines? Stonewall Jackson.
3: What was the significance of my portrait being hung in the Sate House of my state? Her's was the first portrait of a woman to hang in the New Hampshire State House.

1) Harriet Patience Dame - 2nd New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry
2) Gen. Stonewall Jackson
3) It was the first portrait of a woman to hang there and the first portrait of a woman displayed in such a manner in New Hampshire.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Harriet_Patience_Dame&oldid=942012689

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back