1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 3-17-17 Who Am I? & Bonuses!

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:00 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trivia Master

Trivia Master The Keeper of Knowledge Forum Host

I was named after a famous relative who had survived where no quarter was given. Having the military name I became a military man and rode into the sun. When the war began I, already resting, tried to stay out but of course couldn´t; my family being as divided as possible. When that grumbler marched through the blue grass I recruited for the gray that my strange brother and I chose while e.g. our most famous cousin wore blue. Later the devil took me under his wings and entrusted one of those to me. After the war I and my horses lived in the beautiful woods until tragedy after tragedy struck me and my family and finally I let a bullet strike me down. Who am I?

credit: @GELongstreet

Bonus: Who received the first Medal of Honor, measured by the date of the act for which the Medal was awarded, and not the date of the award itself, and what did he do?

credit: @BrianB

St. Paddy's Day Bonus: What Union general helped treat two assassinated U.S. presidents?

Credit: @57th Indiana Infantry

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    amweiner, William G Hendry and JohnW. like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher Sergeant Major

4. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher Sergeant Major

amweiner, JOHN42768, JohnW. and 4 others like this.
  5. Reb

Reb First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

1. Abraham "Abe" Buford II

2. Irwin, Bernard J. D.
    Rank and organization: Assistant Surgeon, U.S. Army. Place and date: Apache Pass, Ariz., 13-14 February 1861. Entered service at: New York. Born: 24 June 1830, Ireland. Date of issue: 24 January 1894. Citation: Voluntarily took command of troops and attacked and defeated hostile Indians he met on the way. Surgeon Irwin volunteered to go to the rescue of 2d Lt. George N. Bascom, 7th Infantry, who with 60 men was trapped by Chiricahua Apaches under Cochise. Irwin and 14 men, not having horses began the 100-mile march riding mules. After fighting and capturing Indians, recovering stolen horses and cattle, he reached Bascom's column and help break his siege.

https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/citations3.html

6. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Medal of Honor Bonus:

Recipient: Bernard J. D. Irwin volunteered to rescued 2nd Lt. George N. Bascom and 60 of his men who were trapped by Chiricahua Apaches in 1861, even before the Medal of Honor was created. He was awarded the MOH January 21st, 1894

Source:
    The earliest military action to be revered with a Medal of Honor award is performed by Colonel Bernard J.D. Irwin, an assistant army surgeon serving in the first major U.S.-Apache conflict. Near Apache Pass, in southeastern Arizona, Irwin, an Irish-born doctor, volunteered to go to the rescue of Second Lieutenant George N. Bascom, who was trapped with 60 men of the U.S. Seventh Infantry by the Chiricahua Apaches.
    [...]
    Although Irwin’s bravery in this conflict was the earliest Medal of Honor action, the award itself was not created until 1862, and it was not until January 21, 1894, that Irwin received the nation’s highest military honor.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-medal-of-honor-action

Reb, sarladaise, amweiner and 11 others like this.
  7. hughes

hughes Private

8. Reb

Reb First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Oops, didn't pay attention and realized now there were two bonus questions. Please add this as my answer to the bonus bonus St Patrick's day question....

Joseph K. Barnes

Please bring back the edit button !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it would make Hoosier's job a lot easier.

Edit - You're right. It sure would.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM
  9. Brenal

Brenal First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Main Question. Hopefully I'll get back to it.

Bonus : Colonel Bernard J.D. Irwin.
    February 13th 1861.

The earliest military action to be revered with a Medal of Honor award is performed by Colonel Bernard J.D. Irwin, an assistant army surgeon serving in the first major U.S.-Apache conflict. Near Apache Pass, in southeastern Arizona, Irwin, an Irish-born doctor, volunteered to go to the rescue of Second Lieutenant George N. Bascom, who was trapped with 60 men of the U.S. Seventh Infantry by the Chiricahua Apaches. Irwin and 14 men, initially without horses, began the 100-mile trek to Bascom’s forces riding on mules. After fighting and capturing Apaches along the way and recovering stolen horses and cattle, they reached Bascom’s forces on February 14 and proved instrumental in breaking the siege.

Although Irwin’s bravery in this conflict was the earliest Medal of Honor action, the award itself was not created until 1862, and it was not until January 21, 1894, that Irwin received the nation’s highest military honor.

Paddy's Day Bonus:
    Joseph Feis Barnes. Attended both Lincoln and Garfield

10. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

I am Abraham Buford.
    Bonus: Francis E. Brownell killed James Jackson on May 24, 1861, shortly after Jackson shot Colonel Elmer Ellsworth in Alexandria, Virginia.
    St. Paddy's Bonus: Surgeon General Joseph K. Barnes.

Reb, sarladaise, amweiner and 11 others like this.
  11. DBF

DBF Private Trivia Game Winner

1st Question:
    You are Abraham Buford II
    https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9507

2nd Question:
    Who received the first per the question: Colonel Bernard J.D. Irwin
    Date of the act: February 13-14, 1861
    Date of the award: January 21, 1894
    What did he do: Rank and organization: Voluntarily took command of troops and attacked and defeated hostile Indians he met on the way. Surgeon Irwin volunteered to go to the rescue of 2d Lt. George N. Bascom, 7th Infantry, who with 60 men was trapped by Chiricahua Apaches under Cochise. Irwin and 14 men, not having horses began the 100-mile march riding mules. After fighting and capturing Indians, recovering stolen horses and cattle, he reached Bascom’s column and help break his siege.
    http://armylive.dodlive.mil/index.php/2013/02/irwin/

Bonus Question;
    The Union General was Joseph K. Barnes - he was the 12th Surgeon General of the United States Army (1864-1882) and attended President Lincoln; and in 1881, he was one of the surgeons who attended President Garfield.
    https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5886836

Reb, sarladaise, amweiner and 12 others like this.
  12. hughes

hughes Private

I forgot the bonus part; Jake Parrot

Edit - Jacob Parrott was the first to receive the Medal of Honor, but the question did not ask about the first medal measured by the date when the medal was awarded, but about the first medal measured by the date of the act for which the medal was awarded. The Great Locomotive Chase was not the first action for which the Medal of Honor was awarded.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM
  13. hughes

hughes Private

Now, I see I forgot the St. Paddy's Day bonus: Jeb Baxter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    amweiner, JOHN42768, JohnW. and 2 others like this.
  14. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal

bonus= The Great Locomotive Chase or Andrews' Raid was a military raid that occurred on April 12, 1862,

First metal given to Jacob Wilson Parrott March 25 1863 { Wikipedia }

More to come,

Edit - See post # 11 above.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    amweiner, JOHN42768, JohnW. and 2 others like this.
  15. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

My efforts at trivia are weak and dying. Even my best days were labored and painful. I strive to find the answers but fail more often than not. My family has deserted and my dog snarls at me. The five-year-old neighbor kid and his little sister point at laugh when I go for my evening walk. The reflection in the mirror turns away in shame. I've been struck again by the dreaded cryptic question. Darn you dreaded cryptic question!

Bonus: The earliest actions for which the Medal was awarded took place before the Civil War had even begun, February 13-14, 1861 in what is now Arizona. Bernard J.D. Irwin was an Assistant Surgeon in the Army when he voluntarily led a command of troops to relieve a surrounded detachment of the 7th Infantry. Irwin’s Medal was not awarded until January 24,1894, over 30 years after he had performed his deed.
    http://www.cmohs.org/medal-faq.php

St. Paddy's bonus: I'm not Irish so I'm taking the easy way out and refusing to answer.

To those who consistently find the right answer and are at the top of the points list every month I tip my hat. I don't know how y'all do it.

16. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Friday: Abraham Buford Source: wikipedia article, "Abraham Buford II" This time, unlike the last riddle, I was pretty sure who it was, so just had to check the rest of the details (wing commander under Forrest was the clue, which I knew thanks to a recent chat session on Brice's Crossroads). Another good riddle, though!

Bonus: "The earliest military action to be revered with a Medal of Honor award is performed by Colonel Bernard J.D. Irwin, an assistant army surgeon serving in the first major U.S.-Apache conflict. Near Apache Pass, in southeastern Arizona, Irwin, an Irish-born doctor, volunteered to go to the rescue of Second Lieutenant George N. Bascom, who was trapped with 60 men of the U.S. Seventh Infantry by the Chiricahua Apaches. Irwin and 14 men, initially without horses, began the 100-mile trek to Bascom’s forces riding on mules. After fighting and capturing Apaches along the way and recovering stolen horses and cattle, they reached Bascom’s forces on February 14 [1861] and proved instrumental in breaking the siege."

Note that "this day in history" in the source is Feb. 13, but I went by the date in the article.

St. Patrick bonus: Joseph K. Barnes was Surgeon General 1864-1882, and was involved in the treatment of both Abraham Lincoln and James Garfield. Source: Wikipedia article, "Joseph Barnes"

17. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Bonus #1: Private Jacob Parrott was the recipient of the first MOH for his service and participation in the "Great Locomotive Chase" April 12th, 1862. The medal was awarded on March 25th, 1863.

[​IMG]
    Jacob Parrott
    Date of birth: July 17, 1843
    Date of death: December 22, 1908
    Burial location: Kenton, Ohio
    Place of Birth: Ohio, Fairfield County
    Home of record: Kenton Ohio

One of the youngest of the raiders, 19-year old Parrott was severely beaten after his capture in an interrogation. Despite his severe treatment, he remained silent. After the successful escape of 6 raiders, they became first to receive the Medal of Honor. Parrot was first of those 6, making his award the FIRST presentation in history. After the war he remained friends with fellow raider Wilson Brown. Parrott's only son John Marion Parrott subsequently married Edith Gertrude Brown, one of Wilson Brown's 8 children. In the early 1950s, Disney Studios released "The Great Locomotive Chase", a movie to herald the exploits of Andrew's Raiders.
    AWARDS AND CITATIONS
    [​IMG]
    Medal of Honor

Awarded for actions during the Civil War

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private Jacob Parrott, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on April, 1862, while serving with Company G, 21st Ohio Infantry, in action during the Andrew's Raid in Georgia. Private Parrott was one of the 19 of 22 men (including two civilians) who, by direction of General Mitchell (or Buell) penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Georgia, in an attempt to destroy the bridges and tracks between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

General Orders: Date of Issue: March 25, 1863

Action Date: April, 1862

Service: Army

Company: Company K

Division: 33d Ohio Infantry

Source: http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=1433

Edit - See post # 11, above.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM
  18. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

St. Paddy's Day Bonus: I'm sure this is wrong but how about Brigadier General Joseph Barnes, the 12th Surgeon General of the United States Army. He ministered to both Abraham Lincoln in 1865 and James Garfield in 1881.

Edit - No, your answer wasn't wrong.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:38 PM
  19. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Regular question: way too mystical and describes several hundred people...not even going to attempt a guess.

20. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Main to follow.

Bonus: Dr. Bernard J.D. Irwin on Feb.13th 1861

Event:
    Army Assistant Surgeon Bernard J.D. Irwin rescues the 60 soldiers of 2d Lt. George Bascom's unit at Apache Pass, AZ. Though the Medal of Honor had not yet been proposed in Congress (and actually wouldn't even be presented to Irwin until 1894, it was the First heroic act for which the Medal of Honor would be awarded). Feb. 13, 1861
    Source: http://www.cmohs.org/medal-history.php

St. Patrick Bonus: General Joseph K. Barnes Pres.A.Lincoln & Pres. James Garfield

21. Seduzal

Seduzal 2nd Lieutenant

IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0239.JPG Bonus question answer;

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.