1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 3-10-17 Who Am I?

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Regular question : no clue
    Bonus : definitely no clue

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. DBF

DBF Corporal Trivia Game Winner

Who Am I - Lieut. Col. Joseph Blackburn

The General - Assault and battery upon Joseph Wheeler, ex C. S. A. general, at City Hotel, Nashville (Portions of Report - August 21, 1865)
    “Mr. Wheeler, as a paroled prisoner, is justly entitled to protection, instead of being exposed to assault, and his position, by virtue of his parole, an unarmed man and hence without means of defense, should have been and must in future be respected, and not only in his case but in the cases of all other persons occupying a similar position
    You will convey to Lieut.-Col. Blackburn and to Capt. Quinn, of the Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, the notification of the displeasure and reprimand of Maj.- Gen. Thomas for their un-officer like and highly reprehensible conduct, and say to them that the muster out of the service of their regiment has been the only reason for their not being subjected to arrest and trial by court-martial. Their conduct at the time of the assault, as well as subsequently, has been an insult and a disgrace for the uniform they wore and is justly discountenanced and frowned down upon by every honorable and high-minded officer and enlisted man in the service.”
    http://www.artcirclelibrary.info/Reference/civilwar/1865-08.pdf

The Captured: Champ Ferguson (Confederate Guerrilla)
    “The four-year quasi-military career of Champ Ferguson came to an end on May 26, 1865, when he was taken into Federal custody in Sparta. Ferguson claimed he had surrendered, while Colonel Joseph Blackburn of the 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry claimed to have captured him.”
    http://www.historynet.com/champ-ferguson-an-american-civil-war-rebel-guerrilla.htm

4. hoosier

hoosier 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Main question: After diligent searching, I found that Benjamin Pritchard was lieutenant colonel of the 4th Michigan Cavalry at the time when they captured Jefferson Davis. However, I can't find any indication that Pritchard got into any dustup with any general in August 1865, so he is probably the wrong answer.

Bonus: I'm probably wrong again, but my guess is that this is Napoleon Bonaparte Buford

Edit - Yep, I'm wrong.

When presented with a picture of a Union general, my hithertofore tried-and-true, if somewhat plodding, method has been to go to the Wikipedia article with the list of American Civil War generals (Union) and go down the list, looking for someone whose picture matches the one in the question.

This time it didn't work, because the Wikipedia list does not include Daniel McCallum. :banghead:

I wonder why they omitted him.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. sarladaise

sarladaise First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

You are Lt. Col. Joseph H. Blackburn, you attacked Gen. Joseph Wheeler in Nashville on August 21, 1865,
    and you captured Champ Ferguson.

Bonus: Daniel Craig McCallum

6. amweiner

amweiner Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

7. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Regular question:

Although details are given and the question seems to be fair enough I could not come up with an answer within a reasonable amount of time.
    So again sadly I have to pass.

8. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Friday question--finally found it! This was definitely a learning experience, both for searching and about this incident!
    Per http://civilwartalk.com/threads/pos...nfederate-gen-joe-wheeler-august-1865.130509/, I am Lt. Col. Joseph H. Blackburn, USA, the general (whom I attacked in his hotel room August 21) was Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, CSA, and the person I had earlier captured was the notorious Confederate guerilla Champ Ferguson.

Additional sources:
    Capture of Ferguson:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=R...I#v=onepage&q=Col. Joseph H Blackburn&f=false

Confirms that Blackburn was a Lt. Col. (some sources say Col.) and was mustered out Aug. 23, 1865: http://civilwardata.com/active/hdsquery.dll?SoldierHistory?U.&2404584
    From ORs: reprimanding Blackburn for attack on Wheeler, but dated after Blackburn's mustering out:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...&q=Blackburn attack on Joseph Wheeler&f=false

9. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Re the source for the capture of Ferguson--it's Thomas D. Mays, Champ Ferguson's Civil War, p. 132, a couple of pages past where the URL will take you.

10. kholland

kholland Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner Retired Moderator

You are Joseph Hayes Blackburn and you were reprimanded by Major General George Thomas for a "highly reprehensible attack" on CSA General Joe Wheeler in a Nashville hotel. You were best known for the capture of Confederate guerilla chief Champ Ferguson.

Bonus: Brigadier General Daniel Craig McCallum (brevetted Major General on March 13, 1865)

11. Mustang Cdr

Mustang Cdr Private

Bonus: Gen. Daniel Craig McCallum

12. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Main: Guess--- Lt.Col. William C. Starr captured Confederate Spy Nancy Hart . Part of Gen .P. Sheridan's Troops

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  13. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Bonus: Daniel Craig McCallum

14. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Disregard previous post and let me hazard a S.W.A.G at the regular question.

I believe the answer is Joseph Hayes Blackburn who was reprimanded by Major General George H. Thomas USA for an unprovoked attack on Major General Joseph Wheeler CSA on August 21, 1865 in a Nashville, TN hotel. He was honorably mustered out of the service on August 23, 1865. Blackburn is most famous for capturing Confederate guerrilla leader Champ Ferguson on May 28, 1865.

15. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

... indefinately

chellers, amweiner and JohnW. like this.
  16. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

Answer: I am Lt. Col. Joseph Blackburn, 4th Tennessee Mounted Infantry, USA who assaulted Gen. Joe Wheeler, CSA, in a Nashville hotel. I am credited for the capture of Champ Ferguson.

bonus - Daniel Craig McCallum

Col. McCallum (1815- 1878) was a Scottish-born railroader who also was a noted engineer, architect, organizer and management pioneer. During the war he became Superintendent of the U.S. Military Railroads. Mostly planning and managing from the rear, he acted as liaison between the government and the numerous civil railroad companies and manufacturers. He was the steady pillar for his deputy, the more famous Herman Haupt, who supervized the operations in the field. McCallum was brevetted to Brigadier General in 1863 and to Major General in 1866 he returned to his civil life afterwards.

amweiner, JohnW. and William G Hendry like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.