Trivia 3-1-19 & bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
If all of Lincoln’s Presidential opponents in both the 1860 and 1864 election had all of their electoral votes combined, would there have been enough electoral votes to beat Lincoln in the election he received the fewest electoral votes? If so, which election?

credit: @SWMODave

bonus
Who is he?

• He was sworn in as a member of Company A, 5th Mounted Texas and served as a teamster.
  • His master was killed at Glorieta Pass.
  • He was wounded on the head by a piece of a shell.
  • He may be the only black that was entitled to a pension for service in the Confederate army, but he didn't get it.
  • He participated in various reunions and was treated with consideration by the veterans.
  • He requested to be buried in his uniform of Confederate gray.
credit: @luinrina

Lincoln received his least number of electoral college votes (180) in the 1860 Presidential Election. If you combine his opponents' electoral votes to include McClellan's in 1864, they still add up to less than what Lincoln received.

Bonus:

Robert "Bob" Shropshire. I am attaching his pension application along with the report of his death in the Times-Picayune.

shropshire pension.jpg

robert bob shropshire.jpg

Not sure if I have understood the question correctly. I think we have to compare electoral votes from the 1860 and 1864 elections.

According to Wikipedia in the 1860 election Lincoln got 180 votes, his three opponents got 72+39+12 = 123 votes.

In the 1864 election, Lincoln got 212(+17) votes, McClellan got 21 votes.

So, the combined opponent's votes are 123+21 = 144 votes.
That is less than Lincoln's 180 from 1860, so my answer is No.
(If my understanding of the question is correct)

If all of Lincoln’s Presidential opponents in both the 1860 and 1864 election had all of their electoral votes combined, would there have been enough electoral votes to beat Lincoln in the election he received the fewest electoral votes? If so, which election?

credit: @SWMODave
No. Lincoln received 180 Electoral Votes in 1860, 212 in 1864. His opponents received 123 Electoral Votes in 1860, 21 in 1864, for a total of 144.

bonus
Who is he?

• He was sworn in as a member of Company A, 5th Mounted Texas and served as a teamster.
  • His master was killed at Glorieta Pass.
  • He was wounded on the head by a piece of a shell.
  • He may be the only black that was entitled to a pension for service in the Confederate army, but he didn't get it.
  • He participated in various reunions and was treated with consideration by the veterans.
  • He requested to be buried in his uniform of Confederate gray.
credit: @luinrina
Robert Shropshire (1833?-1907), slave of Major John S. Shropshire (1833-1862).

Question
Interesting wording on the question. “Electoral votes” I would assume, would be votes counted by the electoral college, however, “electoral votes” I have seen defined as the choice expressed through the votes cast by the electorate, and it changes the answer in each case since President Lincoln did not receive the majority of popular votes in the 1860 election. Nevertheless I will go with electoral college votes:

Number to beat - 180 (1860 Election) [212 electoral votes in 1864]
Number of opponents total electoral count both election years - 144
Answer to 1st question - No
https://www.270towin.com/1860_Election/

Bonus
You Are: Robert (Bob) Shropshire (former slave of John Shropshire killed at the Battle of Glorietta, becoming the slave of his brother Ben). Wounded in head by shrapnel at Holly Springs. Died 1907 at 74 and reportedly buried in a Confederate gray uniform.
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc862736/m2/1/high_res_d/ELLIOTT-THESIS-2016.pdf
Pages 52-53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back