1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 3-1-17 Letter From Lincoln

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher Sergeant Major

oops, there is officially one officially too many in my answer, please pretend to not have read it

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. hoosier

hoosier 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Elizabeth Hutter

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 12 others like this.
  4. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Per http://www.19thshop.com/book/a-supe...lincoln-and-relics-related-to-lincolns-death/
    "Elizabeth Hutter was one of the most prominent Northern women in the fight to preserve the Union. During the Civil War, Elizabeth and her husband provided food and supplies to Federal recruits and volunteered at military hospitals. After First Bull Run and Gettysburg, Elizabeth traveled to the battlefields to aid the wounded, once under a special pass courtesy of Lincoln. She co-chaired a committee of the June 1864 Great Central Fair to raise funds for the U.S. Sanitary Commission, raising $250,000 for Union military hospitals. Lincoln himself attended the grand event in Philadelphia. Elizabeth is known to have met and corresponded with Lincoln on a number of occasions. In 1863 she secured Lincoln’s endorsement of her proposed earmuffs to warm soldiers’ ears!" [italics mine]
    "Mrs. Hutter visited Lincoln in the White House on November 4, 1864 to discuss her ideas about establishing homes for war orphans (Lincoln Day by Day). At that meeting she also intervened on behalf of her brother to secure him a better posting. This collection includes a note signed by Lincoln instructing Stanton to receive his friend, declaring, “I really wish Mrs. Hutter to be obliged in this case. She is one of the very best friends of the soldiers …” (item A). At the same time Lincoln submitted a document to the Quarter Master General’s office in support of the appointment (item C)." [italics mine]

5. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter.

6. lelliott19

lelliott19 Sergeant Major Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

[​IMG]https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20490948
    The letter was sent from President Lincoln to Montgomery C. Meigs on October 16, 1863, for the purpose of introducing Mrs. Elizabeth Embich Shindel Hutter, who had designed some earmuffs she suggested be provided to the soldiers.

In part, the letter from Lincoln to Meigs:
    "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service. . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/lincoln6/1:1075?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

7. sarladaise

sarladaise First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Credit for question

8. bixby272

bixby272 Sergeant

Elizabeth Hutter

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 11 others like this.
  9. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

10. adisciu9

adisciu9 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 10 others like this.
  11. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

12. Nayinpa

Nayinpa Private

Elizabeth Hutter

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 11 others like this.
  13. CheathamHill

CheathamHill First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth E. Hutter, an influential Civil War nurse and fundraiser, described by Abraham Lincoln as "one of the very best friends of the soldiers"
    Later in 1863, she presented Lincoln with a new type of earmuff for use of Union soldiers. On her behalf Lincoln wrote to Quartermaster General, Montgomery C. Meigs, asking him to "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." (October 16, 1863, Collected Works, 6:519).

JohnW., amweiner, Brenal and 10 others like this.
  14. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.