Trivia 3-1-17 Letter From Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per http://www.19thshop.com/book/a-supe...lincoln-and-relics-related-to-lincolns-death/
"Elizabeth Hutter was one of the most prominent Northern women in the fight to preserve the Union. During the Civil War, Elizabeth and her husband provided food and supplies to Federal recruits and volunteered at military hospitals. After First Bull Run and Gettysburg, Elizabeth traveled to the battlefields to aid the wounded, once under a special pass courtesy of Lincoln. She co-chaired a committee of the June 1864 Great Central Fair to raise funds for the U.S. Sanitary Commission, raising $250,000 for Union military hospitals. Lincoln himself attended the grand event in Philadelphia. Elizabeth is known to have met and corresponded with Lincoln on a number of occasions. In 1863 she secured Lincoln’s endorsement of her proposed earmuffs to warm soldiers’ ears!" [italics mine]
"Mrs. Hutter visited Lincoln in the White House on November 4, 1864 to discuss her ideas about establishing homes for war orphans (Lincoln Day by Day). At that meeting she also intervened on behalf of her brother to secure him a better posting. This collection includes a note signed by Lincoln instructing Stanton to receive his friend, declaring, “I really wish Mrs. Hutter to be obliged in this case. She is one of the very best friends of the soldiers …” (item A). At the same time Lincoln submitted a document to the Quarter Master General’s office in support of the appointment (item C)." [italics mine]

Expired Image Removedhttps://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20490948
The letter was sent from President Lincoln to Montgomery C. Meigs on October 16, 1863, for the purpose of introducing Mrs. Elizabeth Embich Shindel Hutter, who had designed some earmuffs she suggested be provided to the soldiers.

In part, the letter from Lincoln to Meigs:
"Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service. . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/lincoln6/1:1075?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

Elizabeth E. Hutter, an influential Civil War nurse and fundraiser, described by Abraham Lincoln as "one of the very best friends of the soldiers"
Later in 1863, she presented Lincoln with a new type of earmuff for use of Union soldiers. On her behalf Lincoln wrote to Quartermaster General, Montgomery C. Meigs, asking him to "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." (October 16, 1863, Collected Works, 6:519).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back