1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 3-1-17 Letter From Lincoln

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trivia Master

Trivia Master The Keeper of Knowledge Forum Host

Lincoln wrote a letter to the quartermaster general to introduce a person who had
    suggested to the president that earmuffs be provided to soldiers.
    Name the person.

credit: @sarladaise

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

Elizabeth Hutter

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 12 others like this.
  4. Reb

Reb First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter

Later in 1863, she presented Lincoln with a new type of earmuff for use of Union soldiers. On her behalf Lincoln wrote to Quartermaster General, Montgomery C. Meigs, asking him to "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." (October 16, 1863,

http://www.universityarchives.com/Find-an-Item/Results-List/Item-Detail.aspx?ItemID=60440

5. hughes

hughes Private

Ferdie Zeppelin

Edit - Ferdinand von Zeppelin did spend time acting as an observer for the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War, and is reputed to have gone up in a balloon during the Battle of Fredericksburg.

However, though that experience may have caused him to wish he had been wearing earmuffs, I can find no evidence that he ever suggested their use to Lincoln or that Lincoln wrote a letter introducing him to the quartermaster general.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
    JohnW., Copperhead-mi, DBF and 2 others like this.
  6. chellers

chellers Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter

7. 57th Indiana Infantry

57th Indiana Infantry Corporal Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter (1820-1895)

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 11 others like this.
  8. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

She was Elizabeth E. Hutter.

http://www.universityarchives.com/Find-an-Item/Results-List/Item-Detail.aspx?ItemID=60440

Later in 1863, she presented Lincoln with a new type of earmuff for use of Union soldiers. On her behalf Lincoln wrote to Quartermaster General, Montgomery C. Meigs, asking him to "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." (October 16, 1863, Collected Works, 6:519).

9. DBF

DBF Private Trivia Game Winner

Mrs. Hutter - the letter is short and sweet:

To Montgomery C. Meigs - October 16, 1863

Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service. . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked.

However I see that a patent did not get issued until 1877 - to a Chester Greenwood from Maine, so Mrs. Hutter never got any credit for what President Lincoln called “an invention of hers for the soldier’s comfort”.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/lincoln6/1:1075?rgn=div1;view=fulltext/
    http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/earmuff.htm

10. Brenal

Brenal First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

11. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Not quite sure if I understand the question properly. To me, two things seem to be mixed up?

From my source quoted below, Elizabeth Hutter is the one who had suggested the earmuffs. But Lincoln wrote the letter to the Quartermaster General to secure her brother, Jacob A. Shindel, a better position.

"Elizabeth Hutter was one of the most prominent Northern women in the fight to preserve the Union. During the Civil War, Elizabeth and her husband provided food and supplies to Federal recruits and volunteered at military hospitals [...]
    Elizabeth is known to have met and corresponded with Lincoln on a number of occasions. In 1863 she secured Lincoln’s endorsement of her proposed earmuffs to warm soldiers’ ears!
    [...]
    Mrs. Hutter visited Lincoln in the White House on November 4, 1864 to discuss her ideas about establishing homes for war orphans (Lincoln Day by Day). At that meeting she also intervened on behalf of her brother to secure him a better posting. This collection includes a note signed by Lincoln instructing Stanton to receive his friend, declaring, “I really wish Mrs. Hutter to be obliged in this case. She is one of the very best friends of the soldiers …” (item A). At the same time Lincoln submitted a document to the Quarter Master General’s office in support of the appointment (item C).

http://www.19thshop.com/book/a-supe...lincoln-and-relics-related-to-lincolns-death/

As the question is about the person who had suggested the earmuffs, Elizabeth Hutter will be my final answer.

12. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal

in 1863, she presented Lincoln with a new type of earmuff for use of Union soldiers. On her behalf Lincoln wrote to Quartermaster General, Montgomery C. Meigs, asking him to "Please see Mrs. Hutter, who has given most of her time to the soldiers, during the war, and who wishes to present an invention of hers for the soldier's comfort, which she would like to have introduced into the service . . . I certainly would prefer having it over my ears in cold weather, to their being naked." (October 16, 1863, Collected Works, 6:519).

Mrs. Elizabeth Hutter { university archives}

13. Stony

Stony 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

14. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth E. Hutter

15. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Mrs. Elizabeth E. Hutter

16. Student of Sherman

Student of Sherman Corporal

Elizabeth Hutter.

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 11 others like this.
  17. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter was one of the most prominent Northern women in the fight to preserve the Union. During the Civil War, Elizabeth and her husband provided food and supplies to Federal recruits and volunteered at military hospitals. After First Bull Run and Gettysburg, Elizabeth traveled to the battlefields to aid the wounded, once under a special pass courtesy of Lincoln. She co-chaired a committee of the June 1864 Great Central Fair to raise funds for the U.S. Sanitary Commission, raising $250,000 for Union military hospitals. Lincoln himself attended the grand event in Philadelphia. Elizabeth is known to have met and corresponded with Lincoln on a number of occasions. In 1863 she secured Lincoln’s endorsement of her proposed earmuffs to warm soldiers’ ears!
    Source: http://www.19thshop.com/book/a-supe...lincoln-and-relics-related-to-lincolns-death/

18. amweiner

amweiner Corporal

19. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Elizabeth Hutter.

20. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher Sergeant Major

elisabeth e. hutter, but then chester greenwood officially invented officially invented earmuffs in 1873 at the age of 15.

elisabeth e. hutton it is for the purpose of this trivia game, but i really liked to know which of those two is the urban myth

sarladaise, JohnW., amweiner and 8 others like this.
  21. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

My God it was hard to find information on this!! BUT.......
    the answer I believe is Elizabeth Hutter.

Elizabeth Hutter was one of the most prominent Northern women in the fight to preserve the Union. During the Civil War, Elizabeth and her husband provided food and supplies to Federal recruits and volunteered at military hospitals. After First Bull Run and Gettysburg, Elizabeth traveled to the battlefields to aid the wounded, once under a special pass courtesy of Lincoln. She co-chaired a committee of the June 1864 Great Central Fair to raise funds for the U.S. Sanitary Commission, raising $250,000 for Union military hospitals. Lincoln himself attended the grand event in Philadelphia. Elizabeth is known to have met and corresponded with Lincoln on a number of occasions. In 1863 she secured Lincoln’s endorsement of her proposed earmuffs to warm soldiers’ ears!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.