2nd trip to White Oak Civil War Museum

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

zburkett

First Sergeant
The White Oak Civil War Museum is so overwhelming that on my first trip I just kind of wandered around in awe. On my second trip I could absorb much more and I hope can explain it better. First, 90% of the museum is articles dug from the encampments of the 130,000 Union soldiers camped across the Rappahannock River from Fredericksburg, Virginia in 1862/63. This covers the Battles of Fredericksburg, the "Mud March" and Chancellorsville. The museum has probably a couple of hundred thousand relics. Say you want to see what a real US buckle looked like, they have hundreds. In many cases they will have all the relics dug from one encampment displayed together so you can learn about that unit. Their Confederate display is less extensive but just as impressive. On this second trip I noticed the only original two piece VSS belt buckle I have ever seen and a real CS saddle shield that I had actually wondered if they really existed. I highly recommend that if you come to see the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Wilderness battlefields, make time for the White Oak Museum