2nd Regiment Cherokee Mounted Volunteers

Whit793

Cadet
Based on my own research, I have found that my ancestor SJB Plemmons served in the 2nd regiment cherokee mounted volunteers (CSA), C company, as a 2 seargant (im assuming that means 2nd seargant?). He enlisted on July 4th, 1862 in Benton county, Arkansas by capt. JM Bryan for a period of three years. At the time of the roll call on June 30th, 1863, he was not present as he was detached with a Captain Harden. I know after the war he lived out his life in Texas, and was a member of the Oddfellows, Freemasons, and Knights Templar. I have been fortunate enough to see a picture of his grave, as well as read several Texas newspapers mentioning him.

However, that is as far as I have gotten. It is so hard to find information on Cherokee soldiers, and was wondering if anyone could give me some information. For example, what type of equipment he might have used, the units flag, whether or not he served under Stand Watie, etc.

On another note, I am also aware of numerous family members who fought in the Ozarks of Missouri, but to my understanding, as irregular forces (i.e. "Bushwackers")

Based on my own research, I have found that my ancestor SJB Plemmons served in the 2nd regiment cherokee mounted volunteers (CSA), C company, as a 2 seargant (im assuming that means 2nd seargant?). He enlisted on July 4th, 1862 in Benton county, Arkansas by capt. JM Bryan for a period of three years. At the time of the roll call on June 30th, 1863, he was not present as he was detached with a Captain Harden. I know after the war he lived out his life in Texas, and was a member of the Oddfellows, Freemasons, and Knights Templar. I have been fortunate enough to see a picture of his grave, as well as read several Texas newspapers mentioning him.

However, that is as far as I have gotten. It is so hard to find information on Cherokee soldiers, and was wondering if anyone could give me some information. For example, what type of equipment he might have used, the units flag, whether or not he served under Stand Watie, etc.

On another note, I am also aware of numerous family members who fought in the Ozarks of Missouri, but to my understanding, as irregular forces (i.e. "Bushwackers")
Confederate Military History, Vol. 7
MISSISSIPPI--BY COLONEL CHARLES E. HOOKER.
Confederate Military History, Vol. 7
MAJOR-GENERALS AND BRIGADIER-GENERALS, PROVISIONAL ARMY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES, ACCREDITED TO MISSISSIPPI.
[excerpt]
Brigadier-General Douglas H. Cooper, then a prominent citizen of Mississippi, in 1861 was sent by the Confederate government to secure the alliance of the Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw and Seminole tribes. He was successful in winning over portions of those tribes to the cause of the Confederacy and was commissioned colonel of the First Choctaw and Chickasaw regiment of mounted riflemen. Some of the Indians preferred allegiance to the United States government. Colonel Cooper determined to force these into submission or drive them out of the country; so he collected a body of troops, partly his own regiment and partly white troops. In November and December, 1861, he fought the battles of Chusto-Talasah and Chustenahla, defeating the Federal Indians and driving their armed bands of the Territory into Kansas. Besides his own regiment Colonel Cooper assisted Col. Albert Pike to raise two others. All these forces, under Gen. Albert Pike, participated in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, which was fought on the 7th and 8th of March, 1862. In August, 1862, General Hindman assumed personal command of the Confederate troops in northwestern Arkansas. These consisted of between 9,000 and 10,000 men, about 3,000 of whom were Indians under Colonel Cooper. On September 30th, Col. J. O. Shelby with 2,000 Missouri cavalry, and Colonel Cooper with about 4,000 Indians and mixed troops attacked and defeated Gen. Frederick Salomon near Newtonia. General Schofield, with a strong Federal force, then advanced upon the Confederates, who were obliged to retire before him. Blunt pursued Cooper and defeated him at old Fort Wayne, driving him back into the Indian country. Soon after the defeat of Banks in Louisiana in April, 1864, and that of Steele in Arkansas, General Price determined on another expedition into Missouri. The plan was for the Confederate troops under Cooper (now brigadier-general with commission dating from May 2, 1863), assisted by Maxey and Gano in Indian Territory and western Arkansas, to make demonstrations against Fort Smith and Fort Gibson and the line of communication between these points and Kansas; while another Confederate force was to threaten Little Rock, and Price with about 12,000 men, assisted by such gallant leaders as Fagan, Marmaduke and Shelby, was to march into Missouri. This was the last great military enterprise of the Confederate forces in the Trans-Mississippi. Price gained some important successes at first, but at last such overwhelming force was concentrated against him that he was compelled to retreat with heavy loss. This was the last operation of importance in which General Cooper participated during the war. His command consisted of the following troops: First Choctaw and Chickasaw regiment, Second Choctaw regiment, First and Second Cherokee regiments, and the First and Second Creek regiments, Choctaw, Seminole and Creek battalions, and Howell's Texas battery. After the war General Cooper continued to reside in Indian Territory, where he died in 1867.

Confederate Military History, Vol. 10
ARKANSAS
BY COL. JOHN M. HARRELL.
CHAPTER V.
THE FEDERALS OCCUPY BATESVILLE--GENERAL HINDMAN ASSIGNED TO THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DISTRICT-HIS ADMINISTRATION AD INTERIM--THE CAMPAIGN ON WHITE RIVER -- FIGHTING IN INDIAN TERRITORY--TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT CREATED--GENERAL HOLMES ASSIGNED TO COMMAND--GEN. ALBERT PIKE.

[excerpt]
At this period the forces under Brig.- Gen. Albert Pike, commander of the department of Indian Territory, as he >persisted in styling it, formed a considerable part of the troops apparently available. His return for May, 1862, showed an aggregate present of 3,453, out of an enrollment of about, 10,000. At Fort McCulloch, his intrenched headquarters, in a prairie on Red river, he had Colonel Alexander's Texas cavalry, Colonel Taylor's Texas cavalry, Captain Witt's Texas cavalry, Captain Corley's Arkansas cavalry, Colonel Dawson's Nineteenth Arkansas infantry, and Major Woodruff's battalion Arkansas artillery, fourteen guns. At Fort Washita was Captain Marshall's company. His further statement of troops was as follows: Choctaw nation--Colonel Cooper's First Choctaw and Chickasaw regiment, Colonel Fulsom's First Choctaw regiment, Major Fulsom's First Choctaw battalion; Creek nation--Col. D. N. McIntosh's First Creek regiment, Lieut.-Col. Chilly McIntosh's Creek battalion, Captain McSmith's Independence company; Chickasaw nation--Lieutenant-Colonel Harris' First Chickasaw battalion; Seminole country--Lieuten-ant-Colonel Juniper's First battalion; Cherokee country --Col. Stand Watie's First Cherokee regiment, Colonel Drew's Second Cherokee regiment.

CHAPTER VIII.
SCHOFIELD RETURNS TO FEDERAL COMMAND--COOPER AND CABELL IN THE NORTHWEST--ACTIONS NEAR HONEY SPRINGS AND BACKBONE MOUNTAIN--PROPOSITION TO ABANDON ARKANSAS--FEDERAL EXPEDITION AGAINST LITTLE ROCK--ACTION ON THE FOURCHE--DUEL BETWEEN MARMADUKE AND WALKER--EVACUATION OF LITTLE ROCK.
[excerpt]
Brigade of Brig.-Gen. D. H. Cooper: First Cherokee, Col. Stand Watie; Second Cherokee, Col. W. P. Adair; First Choctaw and Chickasaw, Col. Tandy Walker; First Creek, Col. D. N. Mcintosh; Second Creek, Col. Chilly Mcintosh; First Chickasaw battalion, Lieut.-Col. L. M. Reynolds; Osage battalion, Major Broke Arm; Seminole battalion, Lieut.-Col. John Jumper; Texas partisan rangers, Col. L. M. Martin; Twenty-ninth Texas cavalry, Col. Charles De Morse; Scanland's squadron, Capt. John Scanland; cavalry company, Capt. L. E. Gillett; Howell's Texas battery; Lee's light battery. Brigade of Brig.-Gen. W. L. Cabell: Carroll's Arkansas cavalry, Lieut.-Col. Lee L. Thompson; Dorsey's squadron, Col. John Scott; Hill's Arkansas cavalry, Col. John F. Hill; Monroe's Arkansas cavalry, Col. J. C. Monroe; Bass' Texas cavalry, Lieut.-Col. T. D. Taliaferro; Texas cavalry company, Capt. W. J. Coggins; Crawford's Arkansas cavalry, W. A. Crawford, organizing officer, Maj. John M. Harrell commanding; Hughey's Arkansas battery.

[excerpt]
Cooper's Indian cavalry division, Brig.-Gen. Douglas H. Cooper commanding, included: First Indian cavalry brigade, Brig.-Gen. Stand Watie--First Cherokee regiment, Col. Robert C. Parks; Second Cherokee, Col. William P. Adair; Cherokee battalion, Maj. Joseph A. Scales; First Creek, Col. Daniel N. Mcintosh; Second Creek, Col. Chilly Mcintosh; Creek squadron, Capt. R. Kenard; First Osage battalion, Maj. Broke Arm; First Seminole battalion, Lieut.-Col. John Jumper. Second Indian cavalry brigade, Col. Tandy Walker--First Chickasaw regiment, Lieut.-Col. Lemuel M. Reynolds; First Choctaw battalion, Lieut.-Col. Jackson McCurtain; First Choctaw and Chickasaw battalion, Lieut.-Col. James Riley; Second Choctaw, Col. Simpson N. Folsom; Reserve squadron, Capt. George Washington.

-end of excerpt-
-----------------------------------------

----------------

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 8 [S# 8]
NOVEMBER 19, 1861-JANUARY 4, 1862.--Operations in the Indian Territory.
SUMMARY OF THE PRINCIPAL EVENTS.
Nov. 19, 1861. -- Engagement at Round Mountain.
Dec. 9, 1861. -- Engagement at Chusto-Talasah (Bird Creek or High Shoal).
26, 1861. -- Engagement at Chustenahlah.
27, 1861. -- Skirmish with Creeks and Seminoles.
9, 1861-Jan. 4, 1862 -- Scout after Hopoeithleyohola.

[excerpt]
No. 17. -- Col. Stand Watie, Second Cherokee Mounted Rifles, of skirmish with Creeks and Seminoles.
No. 18. -- Maj. E. C. Boudinot, Second Cherokee Mounted Rifles, of skirmish with Creeks and Seminoles.
--------------------------------

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XIII [S# 19]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN MISSOURI, ARKANSAS, KANSAS, THE INDIAN TERRITORY, AND THE DEPARTMENT OF THE NORTHWEST FROM APRIL 10 TO NOVEMBER 20, 1862.
CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. -- #1

HEADQUARTERS TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DISTRICT,
Little Rock, Ark., May 31, 1862.
To the Soldiers and Citizens of the District:
I have come here to drive out the invader or to perish in the attempt.
To achieve success it is essential that the soldier and the citizen each shall do his whole duty.
In the army a discipline must prevail unexcelled among the troops of any Government, every officer executing the orders given him with promptness, fidelity, and courage; every soldier obeying the orders he receives without question and without murmur, whatever the hardships involved. In one word, there must be efficiency among officers of every rank and obedience among soldiers under all circumstances. Among citizens a determination must be evinced to contribute to the army's support even to the last dollar which they possess; to adhere to the Confederate cause under every difficulty; to sustain the Confederate currency; to crush out the spirit of extortion and speculation, and to
sacrifice for freedom's sake all property valuable to the enemy which may by possibility fall into his hands.
My purpose is to assume every responsibility necessary in the premises, relying upon the great Arbiter of Nations and the earnest and active support of every patriot.
T. C. HINDMAN,
Major-General.

Abstract from Return of the Department of Indian Territory commanded by Brig Gen. Albert Pike for May, 1862.
O Officers. A Aggregate present
M Men. B Aggregate present and absent
P Present for duty

------P----
Commands. O M A B

[excerpt]
CHEROKEE COUNTRY.(*)

Col. Stand Watie's First Cherokee Regiment .... .... .... 900
Colonel Drew's Second Cherokee Regiment.. .... .... .... 1,000

-------------------------------
APRIL 26, 1862.--Skirmish at Neosho, Mo.

No. 4.---Col. Stand Watie, Second Cherokee Mounted Rifles.

---------------
OCTOBER 22,1862.--Action at Old Fort Wayne, or Beattie's Prairie, near Maysville, Ark.
No. 6.— Col. Stand Watie, Second Cherokee Mounted Rifles.

--------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIV/2 [S# 62]
CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM JANUARY 1, 1864, TO MARCH 31, 1864.--#6
CHOCTAW ACADEMY, February 5, 1864.
General MAXEY, Commanding Indian Territory:
GENERAL: Col. Stand Watie requests me to say to you that he wishes to take a scout, say, of 1,000 men, in Southwest Kansas as soon as the grass would permit. His object is to create a diverson with the enemy at Fort Smith and Fort Gibson. This has been a favorite expedition with Colonel Watie for some time.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
W. P. ADAIR,
Colonel Second Cherokee Regiment.
--------
Many other reports are in the Official Records of the Rebellion, to which can be searched on the Internet, to which I prefer "E-History" site however, any site that is free will be available.

M. E. Wolf

You may have his Service Records but just for others, the records for the 2nd Cherokee Regiment can be found on Fold3 under the category "CSA".
Below is page 1 of the Unit History. This says the 2nd Regt Cherokee Mtd Vols was also known as Mounted Rifles. They were formed in Feb 3, 1863 by the addition of 5 companies formerly attached to the 1st Cherokee Regiment Mounted Rifles.

CSA_2CherokeeRgt_Pg01.jpg

Your ancestor's file---only 1 card.

CSA_Plemmons_2CherokeeRgt_Pg02.jpg

Whit793,

Here's the (very brief) historical listing for the regiment from the NPS's Civil War Soldiers and Sailors database (CWSS):

The 2nd Cherokee Mounted Rifles was organized near Fort Gibson, Cherokee Nation, in September, 1861. It served in the Department of the Indian Territory, then was assigned to D.H. Cooper's and Watie's Brigade in the Trans-Mississippi Department. The regiment fought the Federals in the Indian Territory. In September, 1864, the unit fought at Cabin Creek. Later it surrendered at Doaksville with other Indian forces. The field officers were Colonel William P. Adair; Lieutenant Colonel O.H.P. Brewer; and Majors Porter Hammock, J.R. Harden, and John Vann.​
http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-regiments-detail.htm?regiment_id=CCS0002R0T1I

In case you haven't seen these, here are some links to potentially useful sites:
1) The Civil War in Indian Territory -- http://rebelcherokee.labdiva.com/cwit/cwitintro.html
2) A Guide to Cherokee Confederate Military Units, 1861-1865 -- http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/history/CherConfed.htm
3) "Regiments in Indian Territory", OK Civil War Sesquicentennial -- http://www.okcivilwar.org/history/regiments
4) Cherokee Braves Flag -- http://www.civilwarvirtualmuseum.org/1861-1862/native-americans-in-the-war/cherokee-braves-flag.php
5) Compiled Service Records of Confederate soldiers who served in organizations raised directly by the Confederate government -- http://archive.org/details/compiledservicav0080unit
6) Confederate Cherokee General, Stand Watie - Civil War Regiment rosters. (includes a small bibliography) -- http://www.quillspirit.org/History/Civil_War_Data/Waties_Regiments/main.php
7) "Cherokees at Pea Ridge," article by Earl J. Hess for Civil War Trust -- http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/pearidge/pea-ridge-history-articles/cherokeespearidgehess.html

Thank you all so much for the information. Judging by the dates then, I think it would be safe to assume that he was originally in Company A under Bryan, as he enlisted before July 20th, 1862. This, along with 4 other companies, became Bryan's Battalion Cherokee Mounted Rifles/ Cherokee Partisan Rangers. Later, he was moved to Company C (Harden) in the newly formed 2nd Cherokee Mounted Volunteers, lead by Adair.

You may have his Service Records but just for others, the records for the 2nd Cherokee Regiment can be found on Fold3 under the category "CSA".
Below is page 1 of the Unit History. This says the 2nd Regt Cherokee Mtd Vols was also known as Mounted Rifles. They were formed in Feb 3, 1863 by the addition of 5 companies formerly attached to the 1st Cherokee Regiment Mounted Rifles.

View attachment 13422

Your ancestor's file---only 1 card.

View attachment 13423

This is All i could Locate on my GGGrandad,, no more no less..kitty

Back