2nd Manassas on Foot

StraboSE

Cadet
Hi all, as my profile implies, I currently live in DC. I am planning to attend the "Guns of '61" evet at Manassas National Battlefield Park on Saturday July 18 that commemorates the 160th anniversary of Bull Run. I bought a VRE day pass to Manassas, only to realize that the trains don't run on Saturdays. I have since found a ride with a friend, so no worries there. However, the ticket can be used any day, and seeing as I don't have class or work on Monday, I may as well still go down there. I do not want to "spoil myself" for Guns of '61 so I want to get the experience of the sights of 2nd Manassas while there. I have heard that 2nd Manassas was fought over a much wider area than Bull Run, so is it possible to see the major sites of the battlefield sans car? I have all day and I am a 20 something in decent shape, so I would welcome a hike (and an escape from the chaos of DC urbanism), but I am concerned I would not be able to see it all in a day time wise on foot. Also, how are the ABT Battle Apps? I have downloaded the ones for Bull Run and 2nd Manassas, but have yet to really look at them. Using the 2nd Manassas App would I be able to give myself a decent tour? (I cannot stand audio tours.)

You'll need an automobile. And be prepared to dress properly. Have a wide brimmed hat on and douse yourself with tick repellant. The battlefield park is loaded with deer ticks this time of year. You sure don't wanna get Lyme's disease. Lots of sunscreen also. Make sure you carry lots of water with you at all times. Late July in Manassas can be brutal weather wise. When the 150th anniversary of First Manassas was held here, the weekend the temps were 105 degrees.

Hi all, as my profile implies, I currently live in DC. I am planning to attend the "Guns of '61" evet at Manassas National Battlefield Park on Saturday July 18 that commemorates the 160th anniversary of Bull Run. I bought a VRE day pass to Manassas, only to realize that the trains don't run on Saturdays. I have since found a ride with a friend, so no worries there. However, the ticket can be used any day, and seeing as I don't have class or work on Monday, I may as well still go down there. I do not want to "spoil myself" for Guns of '61 so I want to get the experience of the sights of 2nd Manassas while there. I have heard that 2nd Manassas was fought over a much wider area than Bull Run, so is it possible to see the major sites of the battlefield sans car? I have all day and I am a 20 something in decent shape, so I would welcome a hike (and an escape from the chaos of DC urbanism), but I am concerned I would not be able to see it all in a day time wise on foot. Also, how are the ABT Battle Apps? I have downloaded the ones for Bull Run and 2nd Manassas, but have yet to really look at them. Using the 2nd Manassas App would I be able to give myself a decent tour? (I cannot stand audio tours.)
The Manassas Battlefield has one of the best networks of hiking trails.
Here is a link to the trail map.

https://www.nps.gov/mana/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMap-Accessible.pdf

You can definitely hike the 2nd Manassas battlefield by cobbling together sections of the different trails shown on the map. I started at the Brawner Farm, then went to Deep Cut and followed the Unfinished Railroad for a while, then backtracked and headed south to the Stone House, eventually picking up the trail to Chinn Ridge, then back to Deep Cut and back to the Brawner Farm. I am in my 60s and I do a lot of hiking, but if you are in your 20s and in decent shape, you can definitely do it! It is the best way to really appreciate the terrain. Enjoy.

Back