2nd Manassas, General union attack instead of piecemeal

Noonanda

Private
2nd Manassas. 29 August, Day 2.
Pope was under the impression that Jackson was withdrawing. What if he had organized a general, but coordinated attack across the entire front of Jacksons lines on the morning of the 29th before Longstreet was able to take the field. Instead of the piecemeal attacks that pierce the lines at numerous times but were not able to exploit them due to Jackson having the ability to move reinforcements from "quiet sectors", what if pope had pushed the issue on day 2 when he still had a chance.

Jackson is my hero but from all the many accounts that I have read about 2nd Manassas had Pope made a determined attack not made in piecemeal fashion then he would have driven Jackson from behind the railroad cut. Jackson's men suffered immensely and many ran out of ammunition and began hurling rocks at the approaching federals. It was all that Jackson could do to hold the position until Longstreet arrived and swept the field.

I agree, if he had attacked on the morning of day 2 (with Porter or without) the battle would have turned out much different. And the implications for the war would have been different as well. Lee likely would not have went north into Maryland, so Antietam would not have been fought. Also Lincoln would have had his victory to announce the Emancipation proclamation, and there goes any chance of foreign recognition. But Lincoln would still have McClellan in charge of the AOP. But then again he might have transferred more of those forces to the AOV leaving little Mac a shell of an army.

The sector where the "Rockfight" happened is over on the SW edge of the unfinished railroad, that actually happened on day 3 when porter attacked. It is an impressive area, I cannot imagine walking into that hail of gunfire.

Related what if: Porter is allowed to remain where he is. I have yet to see it depicted on a map, but if I understood Hennessy correctly Porter was at an angle to Longstreet's front. Porter lacked the numbers and position to attack Longstreet where he was, but Longstreet could not move on the rest of Pope's left flank with exposing his own right flank to being rolled up by Porter.

Related what if: Porter is allowed to remain where he is. I have yet to see it depicted on a map, but if I understood Hennessy correctly Porter was at an angle to Longstreet's front. Porter lacked the numbers and position to attack Longstreet where he was, but Longstreet could not move on the rest of Pope's left flank with exposing his own right flank to being rolled up by Porter.
IIRC on the afternoon of the second day (29 Aug) Longstreet initially attacked (following an order from Lee) with Hoods Division. But they bumped into Reynolds and Schenks Divisions and got their noses bloodied and decided to wait, also because of Porters force located to the south

IIRC on the afternoon of the second day (29 Aug) Longstreet initially attacked (following an order from Lee) with Hoods Division. But they bumped into Reynolds and Schenks Divisions and got their noses bloodied and decided to wait, also because of Porters force located to the south

Hood's skirmishers collided with Reynolds's men, but there was no attack until the evening, when Lee and Longstreet wanted a reconnaissance in force for a possible attack the next day. Hood's men collided with Hatch's division of McDowell's corps in the dark and there was some fierce night fighting, but both Hatch and Hood were recalled into their own lines.

This is a very interesting what if. I've always thought that 2nd Bull Run very easily could have turned out very differently. Union attacks were uncoordinated and piecemeal. The problem was made worse because Pope didn't seem to have a clear grasp of what was going on.

If Pope had been even moderately successful on August 29, the biggest effect in my opinion is that he would have retained command. What would have happened to McClellan in that case? McClellan outranked Pope and would by virtue of seniority have assumed overall command of the combined armies. Or would Halleck have come out of Washington and have taken command?

Neither McClellan nor Halleck were known for their quickness -- in either case, I see a Confederate invasion of Maryland as an outcome anyway.

Back