2nd Illinois Cavalry virtual cemetery

Paul Gillette

Private
I thought I'd put this together on Find A Grave. Someone had already done a small virtual cemetery just on Co. A, so I have expanded that and will now try to do the entire unit, over 2000 names. I've found over 100 so far. I'm surprised by the fact that, so far, I have close to a 50% success rate in finding these veterans on Find A Grave. I was thinking that a 10% success rate would be outstanding.

My great great grandfather, Thomas Hill from Co. F, was with the 2nd Illinois Cavalry and I've always been interested in this unit because of him. Wounded at Holly Springs, Mississippi on Dec. 20, 1862. Discharged due to "inability to endure fatigue", as a result of those wounds in Aug. 1863, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=vcsr&GSvcid=741680

Excellent. I've created one or two very small virtual libraries.
I'm trying to recall the history of the 2nd Illinois Cavalry fought and if they were in my neck of the woods.

Excellent. I've created one or two very small virtual libraries.
I'm trying to recall the history of the 2nd Illinois Cavalry fought and if they were in my neck of the woods.

They most certainly were in Tennessee. They basically shadowed Grant, a few companies were at Shiloh. They followed the 13th Corps into Vicksburg, fired some of the first shots at Champions Hill. After the surrender of Vicksburg they were transfered to the Dept. of the Gulf. Many skirmishes in Louisiana and took part in the Red River campaign. Mustered out in Texas, at the conclusion of the war. A hard-fighting unit.

Thanks. Some Illy cavalry stayed in Memphis with the XVI Corps, such as the 7 Illinois Cavalry. Sounds like they weren't in any of the battles in North Mississippi but maybe passed through at some time. I've read reports of various units that passed along M&C RR or the roads that paralleled it.

Thanks. Some Illy cavalry stayed in Memphis with the XVI Corps, such as the 7 Illinois Cavalry. Sounds like they weren't in any of the battles in North Mississippi but maybe passed through at some time. I've read reports of various units that passed along M&C RR or the roads that paralleled it.

They fought in Northern Mississippi, they were the only Federal unit to put up a fight when Earl Van Dorn raided Holly Springs and torched Grant's supply depot. December 20th, 1862.

Back