2nd Manassas 2nd Bull Run commemorated

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
Sesquicentennial of Second Battle of Manassas commemorated

By Jeremy Borden, Published: August 25

After dark had come, the cries of men fighting for their lives burst from the field hospitals, and the glow of distant lanterns floated over the battlefield.
As men picked their way among the bodies, looking for wounded on that night nearly 150 years ago, it must have seemed that only the very fortunate had survived unscathed the carnage of the Second Battle of Bull Run.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dae900-eee2-11e1-b0eb-dac6b50187ad_story.html

I was there along with a few others. Brawner's farmhouse is shown in the photo slideshow in the link. I got my bearings and proceeded towards Stoney Ridge and the Unfinished Railroad. We walked the full length of Jackson's 2nd Manassas line...in the rain. When we returned several hours later, my vehicle was the only one left in the overflow parking. Only the reenactors were still there. We took a few photos but the rain was so heavy at times we didn't get to take some that I wanted to.

Those dam* Black Hat fellers:

Expired Image Removed

This is taken from the Stonewall brigades position on the Unfinished Railroad. Porter's men would rise up the hill about 150 yards behind me on August 30, 1862. Yep, I'm soaking wet.

7879999414_7d4085c370.jpg

Back