28th Alabama Infantry reunion in Bham, Alabama 1908

AL_Infantry

Cadet
alabama28thregementtomemondsrenhanc.jpg

My Great Great Great Grandpa was in the 28th Alabama Infantry, Company D and was later moved into the 24th Alabama until he was paroled at the end of the war in Greensboro, North Carolina. He lived outside of Birmingham in Bessemer, Alabama and didn't die until 1930. Not sure if he attended this reunion or not but the picture is interesting none the less.

The man in the front row 2 men from the left with the hat on his knee looks a lot like my Great Great Grandpa, but I could never be sure of it. The Regimental flag had just been returned before this reunion took place to my knowledge.

Thought I'd give a little bit of history behind the picture anyway, make it a little bit more interesting. This is also my first thread, so if I did something wrong please tell me.

Great picture, thanks for posting it.
I have a picture of my great grandfather from this reunion, I would use it as my avatar if I knew how.:eek:
In 1908, he was living in B'ham with his daughter and son-in-law, my grandparents. He told my father a lot of stories, some about Shiloh.

Again, thanks for the post.

Hello,
I am researching the Ensign {color bearer} of the 28th Alabama Infantry whose name is Columbus R. Abercrombie. I have all the fold3 information and ancestry information however, he seems to disappear in 1864. In one ancestry post, they say he died in 1864 but no documentation to verify where and how. I have also checked Find a grave, with no results. My guess is he was killed at Franklin, Nashville or Spring Hill in 1864. My gut feeling was the night charge made by the 28th Alabama at Franklin is where it happened. He may be buried as an unknown at McGavock Cemetery. Does anyone have any information that will help me verify Mr. Abercrombie's death? I may be looking right at it in my research, but I have missed it if so. Thank You very much for any help you may be able to provide.

Back