28mm diorama Shiloh 62

Leigh Cole

Private
I am learning how to scale down my dioramas. This one is based on a well known painting of the battle. All the figures are from Perry. The ground work is AK product. The trees come from Hobby Lobby.

Shiloh 62.jpg

Shiloh 62 2.jpg

Shiloh 62 3.jpg

Shiloh 62 4.jpg

Shiloh 62 5.jpg

Shiloh 62 6.jpg

DSC07264.JPG

You put that on public display somewhere - anywhere - and you'll create countless new (young) students of the War.

I know this *because*

PS - you know these guys are local to you? https://museumandcollector.com/
No doubt the NPS' motive for this 1950's one of Union troops in the Hornet's Nest in the Visitor Center at Shiloh NMP.

DSC07265.JPG

Image (3).jpg

I am learning how to scale down my dioramas. This one is based on a well known painting of the battle. All the figures are from Perry. The ground work is AK product. The trees come from Hobby Lobby.
My first attempt was supposed to be Shiloh too, but it was on a sheet of plywood covered with sand from my sand pile and populated mainly with approximately 54 mm Louis Marx toy Union and Confederate soldiers that I painted myself; of course you can see that this was in 1961 during the Civil War Centennial and I was then fourteen when I built it!

Looks good. Much easier to find a spot to display this scale.
There's a trick to pack more into a display using different scales.
I think it was the Imperial War Museum in London that did it, called "forced perspective" where the figures in the foreground were large (say 54mm/32nd scale), followed by 48th then 72nd etc etc. They used fine wire mesh to simulate falling rain, too.

Maybe this? http://kathyamen.net/dream/london/museum/war/somme.jpg

There's a trick to pack more into a display using different scales.
I think it was the Imperial War Museum in London that did it, called "forced perspective" where the figures in the foreground were large (say 54mm/32nd scale), followed by 48th then 72nd etc etc. They used fine wire mesh to simulate falling rain, too.

Maybe this? http://kathyamen.net/dream/london/museum/war/somme.jpg
The Cyclorama in Atlanta does that well, too. Figures and painting….

I think it was the Imperial War Museum in London that did it, called "forced perspective" where the figures in the foreground were large (say 54mm/32nd scale), followed by 48th then 72nd etc etc.
When I was young I visited the museums in DC. There was one that had small windows you peered into to see some aircraft in history. But the models were distorted to give a depth of field perspective.

I do a lot of dioramas, but usally with armor in 1/35. Now I am getting into this 28mm. I have a couple in progress now, two Civil War, and one Wild west. The western figures are so fun to paint and just make for great dioramas. The hardest thing with 28mm is some of the uniforms like Zouaves and Union Cavalry jackets. Doing NCO stripes is not easy for me, either...

Great work. Those Perry figures are a perfect choice to recreate the painting. Did you buy the figures individually or as a set, also are the flags included?
These are all Perry figures, resin and metal. They come from several sets and I just noticed I basically had figures to represent all the key elements of the painting. I have painted up so many I probably got a few more in store. I do like finding a painting to work from. My next goal is to do Dale Gallon's "Custer at Hanover" if I can find a Custer that matches...or at least Custer at Gettysburg on horseback...

View attachment 407883

My first attempt was supposed to be Shiloh too, but it was on a sheet of plywood covered with sand from my sand pile and populated mainly with approximately 54 mm Louis Marx toy Union and Confederate soldiers that I painted myself; of course you can see that this was in 1961 during the Civil War Centennial and I was then fourteen when I built it!
I think it was awesome for a 14 year old!

View attachment 407883

James N. It does my heart good to find out there were other 14 year olds that were doing this stuff back then.

John
Include my 12 year old self in that club.

I tried to create the same.
I attempted to paint Marx figures, poured sand over a piece of scrap plywood smeared with Elmer's glue ....
And used twigs and grass from the backyard.

It looked horrendous, but was fun "creating".

The following year at 13, girls started to become much more interesting.
All attempts at diorama creation stopped a few months later.

:bounce:

I was in my mid 40's the next time I attempted even a
two figure vignette. 30 plus year later, that attempt was only slightly better at 1/72 scale.

Now I'll just buy a professionally painted figure every few years.

:smoke:

Back