26th Kentucky at Shiloh

Demaster30

Private
Is there any way to find out if a soldier was at the battle of Shiloh? My GG-Grandfather
Marcus R. Mills was in the 26th Kentucky but I don’t know for sure when he enlisted. I know the 26th came in with Buell but not sure if Marcus was there. Is there a list of soldiers.
My son and I visited Shiloh a few years ago and followed the fighting of the 9th Miss. and the 26th Kentucky. My GG-Grandfather Charles Thomas Barnes was in the 9th. If Marcus was there they would have fought probably with in 100 yards of each other. Their grand kids (my grandparents) married 52 years to the month after their grandfathers were fighting against each other.
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums. Im assuming you’ve checked muster rolls and also pension claims, I’m sure someone else much smarter than me will be along shortly to help.

Is there any way to find out if a soldier was at the battle of Shiloh? My GG-Grandfather
Marcus R. Mills was in the 26th Kentucky but I don’t know for sure when he enlisted. I know the 26th came in with Buell but not sure if Marcus was there. Is there a list of soldiers.
My son and I visited Shiloh a few years ago and followed the fighting of the 9th Miss. and the 26th Kentucky. My GG-Grandfather Charles Thomas Barnes was in the 9th. If Marcus was there they would have fought probably with in 100 yards of each other. Their grand kids (my grandparents) married 52 years to the month after their grandfathers were fighting against each other.
Thanks for any help.
Marcus R. Mills enlisted in the 26th Kentucky Infantry USA on Nov 16, 1861. But he was sick from that time through the end of April, 1862 and was not actually mustered into US service.
His records indicate that he was dismissed on May 06, 1862 but reenlisted August 01, 1862.
He deserted October 01, 1862. Later he did actually serve on active duty.

Charles T. Barnes was mustered into the 9th Mississippi Infantry CSA at Corinth Mississippi on February 20, 1861 His unit was sent to Pensacola and stayed until early 1862.
There is no record of his fighting in the Battle of Shiloh, but he most probably did.
He was wounded and sent to the Hospital on July 28, 1864 (the Battle of Ezra Church, outside Atlanta) and was surrendered with Gen J. E. Johnston's army on April 26, 1865 in North Carolina

Back