22nd KY Infantry Muskets.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

huskerblitz

Captain
It probably will not be until tonight I will be able to get those to you. But I would love to help out if I'm able. I can also get you the companies that actually participated at Middle Creek and those wounded from the 22nd.

Bootsie363

Cadet
It probably will not be until tonight I will be able to get those to you. But I would love to help out if I'm able. I can also get you the companies that actually participated at Middle Creek and those wounded from the 22nd.
thank you!

huskerblitz

Captain
From the Louisville Daily Democrat 03-20-62 (Sorry, these are out of order. There are six screenshots total. If you want, I can send you the entire page or you can go to Archive.org and search for the Louisville Daily Democrat and you can find the March 20, 1862 edition on that site.)

LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 1.png
LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 2.png
LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 3.png
LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 4.png
LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 5.png
LDD 03-20-62 Middle Creek 6.png

Last edited:

huskerblitz

Captain
There is also a small booklet called The Fight For Middle Creek by Richard Reid. I don't know if you can find a copy of it, but I wouldn't pay the $40 price tag, but it's good to get a broad overview of the battle. It's only 46 pages cover to cover. I actually bought my copy from a guy on this site.

huskerblitz

Captain
The battle’s turning point came when Garfield ordered Lt. Colonel George W. Monroe and a detachment of the 22nd Kentucky to charge up the steep ridge opposite Graveyard Point and drive the Confederate sharpshooters back to their main line. Monroe was a born fighter, and his heroic charge decided the battle’s outcome.

While Moore’s Virginians were contesting Pardee’s advance, several companies of the 5th Kentucky moved down the spur opposite Graveyard Point towards Garfield’s main position. The Kentuckians raked Graveyard Point with heavy rifle fire until a sharp volley from Garfield’s reserves drove them back.

While the battle was in progress, Cranor’s 40th Ohio arrived at Graveyard Point. Selecting 150 men from his Ohio regiments and the 22nd Kentucky, Garfield ordered Cranor to lead them across the creek and reinforce Pardee. Then he selected 120 Kentuckians, assigned them to Monroe, and ordered him to drive the rebel sharpshooters from the ridge opposite Graveyard Point. It was Kentuckian against Kentuckian as Monroe and his men fought their way up and along the narrow ridge towards the crest.

Following Monroe's example, the men of the 22nd Kentucky fought Indian-style, moving from tree to tree. "Every man to a tree" shouted their commander. Ahead of them, posted behind a huge boulder, a large detachment of the 5th Kentucky stubbornly contested their assault. Monroe ordered his men to make a bayonet charge, and with loud yells they sprang up the hill and over the rocks. Three Union soldiers leaped upon the boulder as the Confederates fell back toward their main line. A flurry of parting shots brought down two of the trio, including Private Nelson Boggs of the 14th Kentucky, who fell dead with a ball through his brain.

Though the Confederates stubbornly resisted the assault, the steady pressure from Union rifles slowly forced them to withdraw. The fighting ceased around 5 p.m., following Marshall’s order that the position be abandoned.

http://www.oocities.org/rlperry.geo/MonroesBayonetCharge.html

huskerblitz

Captain
Monroe's action at Middle Creek. Louisville Daily Journal 02-03-62. I also have a scan of Monroe's letter where he sends this cannonball to Orlando Brown of Frankfort. His son, Orlando Brown, Jr., was also a member of the 22nd Ky.

Monroe Action at Middle Creek LDJ 02-03-62.png

huskerblitz

Captain
I find this one a tad humorous. "Humphrey Humping Himself" What makes this even funnier is I believe the author, "S" is Samuel Sumner, the CHAPLAIN of the 22nd Ky and strict Unionist. :bounce:

LWJ 01-21-62 Sumner Maybe 1.png
LWJ 01-21-62 Sumner Maybe 2.png
LWJ 01-21-62 Sumner Maybe 3.png

LWJ 01-21-62 Sumner Maybe 4.png

huskerblitz

Captain
What a wealth of obscure tidbits! All this is gonna really help me.
Awesome! I really didn't know if this was the type of stuff you were looking for or not. I haven't had a chance to check letters I have, which honestly isn't a lot of them, but I will check on those.

About the book...has a lot of info. Because of the cost of available copies maybe I can get you some of the info another way.

Bootsie363

Cadet
What a wealth of obscure tidbits! All this is gonna really help me.
Awesome! I really didn't know if this was the type of stuff you were looking for or not. I haven't had a chance to check letters I have, which honestly isn't a lot of them, but I will check on those.

About the book...has a lot of info. Because of the cost of available copies maybe I can get you some of the info another way.
That would be great! Anything and everything. The lack of newspapers, literacy, and photography in east ky during that time makes research rather difficult.

huskerblitz

Captain
That would be great! Anything and everything. The lack of newspapers, literacy, and photography in east ky during that time makes research rather difficult.
You're telling me. I've been researching the 22nd Ky for four years. I have accumulated over 1,000 search items relating to the regiment. I also started a Find-a-Grave virtual cemetery. Three trips to Kentucky, two visits to the Kentucky Military Museum, two to Washington, D.C. to the National Archives and a lot of other stops along the way.

If you haven't, check out my thread on the 22nd Ky I think was linked on the first page of this thread. That's just a fraction of my info.

If you represent a member of the 22nd Kentucky, I want to do everything I can to assist. My small contribution to honor the 22nd!

huskerblitz

Captain
Would anyone know what firearm the 22nd ky were issued or know where I can find such info?
So back to your original question, I will need to look through my photos of the records held at the Kentucky State Military Museum, which is quite a few photos, to see if there is an early mention of what arms those three companies had prior to getting the improved Springfields in March...after Middle Creek. That may be a weekend gig before I can look through all of those again.

Deleted User CS

Retired User
Welcome from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I would contact the Horse Soldier Shop in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania ask your questions. They are very good people to deal with and are very knowledgeable about anything militaria. Good luck. David.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!