22nd KY Infantry Muskets.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

redbob

Captain
Welcome to the group from middle Alabama. The 22nd was a Union Regiment that served among other places in the Vicksburg Campaign and perhaps the Kentucky Historical Society could help.

Last edited:

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host

Bootsie363

Cadet
Hi Bootsie363, I’m paging @huskerblitz. He is the expert here on the 22nd Kentucky and should be able to help you. I’m sure he’ll be along a bit later.
Awesome, thank you so much! Doing alot of research for possible upcoming immersion event. The 22nd and the 5th ky csa ended up being pitted against eachother at the battle of middle creek ky. Many companies from both regiments were raised in the same region. One of largest instances of family against family in the war.

huskerblitz

Captain
Yes, they were issued 1862 Springfields, but this was after Middle Creek. As you may know, only part of the 22nd was involved at Middle Creek because a good portion of the regiment actually had no arms yet. But the three companies that did participate had Springfields as well, as best I can tell. I have no QM records that early in the war.

I have a few records and newspaper clippings if you require them.

Last edited:

huskerblitz

Captain
I think I have some info on their uniforms from that period as well. IIRC they had light blue pants early on.

I have quite a bit other info about the Middle Creek battle, please don't hesitate to ask. And if you have anything unique, I'd be more than interested in knowing what information you have on the regiment.

Bootsie363

Cadet
That would be great! Any info will be of help. I had a lot of family in the 39th and 14th Ky. I had one cousin in the 22nd, William James, he transferred to the 39th after his 50plus yr old father Abner joined. William died at Ashland hospital within a couple months of joining the 39th.

huskerblitz

Captain
That would be great! Any info will be of help. I had a lot of family in the 39th and 14th Ky. I had one cousin in the 22nd, William James, he transferred to the 39th after his 50plus yr old father Abner joined. William died at Ashland hospital within a couple months of joining the 39th.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 1.13.49 PM.png

Assuming you have the info already. But this is what I have on William James.

Attached is a newspaper clipping from the Elyria Democrat 07-30-62 that mentions the new rifles.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 1.16.29 PM.png

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!