21st Regiment Virginia State Milita 1861 Impression Help

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
Can any of you guys point me to the right place to get a coat and trousers for my Virginia Milita Impression?

I found the regulations for the uniform but I'm not sure where I could get one or if I'd have to have it made.

https://sites.google.com/site/carolinacivilwar1/virginia-militia-uniform-regulations

Would the Virginia Milita frockcoat be the same as the one issued to the United States army?

What about the trousers, do I just get a dark blue pair?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The regulations say:

"All officers are to wear a frock coat of dark blue cloth; the skirt to extend from two-thirds to three-fourths of the distance from the top of the hip to the bend of the knee; single-breasted for captains and lieutenants; double-breasted for all other grades. For cavalry - Same color, material, &c. as above; collar and cuffs to be edged with a cord or welt of yellow cloth. For artillery - The same as for cavalry; trimmings of scarlet cloth. For infantry - The same as for artillery; trimmings of sky blue cloth. For riflemen - The same as for infantry; trimmings of emerald green cloth.

Buttons

For all ranks and corps - Gilt-device, arms of Virginia; sizes according to United States army.

Trowsers

To be of dark blue cloth, for all officers and for privates of volunteers, made without plaits. A gold cord, one-eighth of an inch in diameter, will be worn by general, field and mounted staff officers; for all corps, a welt or stripe, the color of the facings or trimmings of their respective corps."

I did some looking and I found the officer's uniform as described by the state regulations. (An original listed for auction)

downloadfile.jpg

Front

downloadfile-1.jpg

Back.

webfrock.gif

And I believe this is a private's uniform.

Not exactly regulation, but here is a possible Virginia militiaman photo sold by our own @Grayrock Volunteer from his website.

Last edited:
The regulations say:

"All officers are to wear a frock coat of dark blue cloth; the skirt to extend from two-thirds to three-fourths of the distance from the top of the hip to the bend of the knee; single-breasted for captains and lieutenants; double-breasted for all other grades. For cavalry - Same color, material, &c. as above; collar and cuffs to be edged with a cord or welt of yellow cloth. For artillery - The same as for cavalry; trimmings of scarlet cloth. For infantry - The same as for artillery; trimmings of sky blue cloth. For riflemen - The same as for infantry; trimmings of emerald green cloth.

Buttons

For all ranks and corps - Gilt-device, arms of Virginia; sizes according to United States army.

Trowsers

To be of dark blue cloth, for all officers and for privates of volunteers, made without plaits. A gold cord, one-eighth of an inch in diameter, will be worn by general, field and mounted staff officers; for all corps, a welt or stripe, the color of the facings or trimmings of their respective corps."

I did some looking and I found the officer's uniform as described by the state regulations. (An original listed for auction)

View attachment 342294
Front

View attachment 342295
Back.

View attachment 342296
And I believe this is a private's uniform.
Some great info and photos, thanks for posting it.

Back