20th Maine reunion photo at Devil's Den--October 1889

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Dugger

Banned
YES! He the one standing wearing the dress. Keb Burns (with fake beard) is behind Chamberlains's right shoulder. Or IS that Chamberlain in front (dont think so) or is it the tall guy standing further back on the right with lady seated beside him? I think that is him.

All that was disrepectful. Great pic. I have never seen it. Tks.

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Your last guess was your best!

According to the caption with it on the Tipton site I found it on, Chamberlain is the tall man standing to the right of the woman seated on a rock. The caption suggested that the woman is Fanny, his wife, and as she was losing her sight at the time, he might have wanted her to sit down for the pic. I don't know, though--she looks rather young to me, as compared to Chamberlain.

tmh10

Major
I enjoyed this picture. I couldn't pick out L Chamberlian, but given the 1889 date I could go with the opinion that is him next to the seated lady.

TDMaine

Cadet
At first glance, I remember thinking that the mustachioed fellow near the center is not Chamberlain. His face and eyes, among other things, are simply not the right shape. For the heck of it, I took details from two other photos taken at the same time (the "Maine Day" celebrations of Oct. 3, 1889). One at the 20th Maine reunion at their Little Round Top monument, and another with veterans of the 5th Maine Infantry near the Warren statue. In the attached photo, I point out just a few quick observations. I also note that the fellow to our left of Chamberlain in Devil's Den, about five or six people over, is deliberately holding an officer's hat with the symbol of a unit displayed. If someone has a higher resolution of the image they may be able to identify the unit pictured by the emblem.

Devils Den.jpg