20th Louisiana Infantry

Rusty_S

Cadet
I know there is a post already about the 20th Louisiana Infantry and I have read it but it doesnt provide much for what my goals are.

Below is what I currently have.

20th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry often times called the Lovell regiment was assembled and mustered into Confederate service at Camp Lewis, Louisiana, in February, 1862. Some of the men were recruited in Orleans Parish. The unit participated in the conflicts at Shiloh and Farmington, shared in the Kentucky Campaign, then was assigned to D.W. Adams and Gibson's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. It was consolidated with the 13th Louisiana regiment from December, 1862 to April, 1864. The unit fought with the army from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, served with Hood in Tennessee, and ended the war defending Mobile. At Shiloh this regiment took 507 men into action, but only 289 moved to Farmington. The 13th/20th reported 20 killed, 89 wounded, and 78 missing at Murfreesboro, lost 43% of the 289 engaged at Chickamauga, and totaled 191 men and 71 arms in December, 1863. The 20th had 59 effectives in November 1864, and surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. The field officers were Colonels Augustus Reichard and Leon Von Zinken, and Lieutenant Colonels S.L. Bishop, Samuel Boyd, and Charles Guillet.

Outside of this for my relative this is what I have.

Enlisted : Dec 21, 1861 @ Camp Lewis / Company F, 20th Louisiana Infantry
March/April 1862 : Absent (sick with leave)
May/June 1862 : Absent (wounded at Shiloh & Sent to New Orleans) - nature of wound : severely foot

I do not have a discharge date persay but I do have a regimental return slip dated May/June 1862 and under remarks I cant quite make it out but it looks like it says _______ from the roll, I dont know what the word they used was but I assume discharge was May/June 1862.

So with that said I am looking for more information pertaining to the 20th Regiment Louisiana Company F between December 21, 1861 and May/June 1862. Photos would be welcomed as well as I have had way better luck finding these surviving slips than I have on finding photos of these specific regiments/companies let alone finding confirmed images of battle flags for said regiments.

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
A name would be helpful. There are 194 documents for the 20th La but here all for Co. F. Also, here is a photo of where they were at Chickamauga.
20th la inf.png
Unit Information(10).jpg
Unit Information(9).jpg
Unit Information(8).jpg
Unit Information(7).jpg

20th la inf-1.png

Unit Information(6).jpg

Unit Information(5).jpg

Unit Information(4).jpg

Unit Information(3).jpg

Unit Information(2).jpg

Unit Information(1).jpg

Unit Information.jpg

Rusty_S

Cadet

Name would be Frank Ollre. Below is all of his specific papers I was able to find. Doesnt help tell me about what his regiment/company did before Shiloh.

Page 1 Civil War Service Records (CMSR) - Confederate - Louisiana - Fold3 and 21 more pages - ...png

Page 1 Civil War Service Records (CMSR) - Confederate - Louisiana - Fold3 and 21 more pages - ...png

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
I know there is a post already about the 20th Louisiana Infantry and I have read it but it doesnt provide much for what my goals are.

Below is what I currently have.

20th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry often times called the Lovell regiment was assembled and mustered into Confederate service at Camp Lewis, Louisiana, in February, 1862. Some of the men were recruited in Orleans Parish. The unit participated in the conflicts at Shiloh and Farmington, shared in the Kentucky Campaign, then was assigned to D.W. Adams and Gibson's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. It was consolidated with the 13th Louisiana regiment from December, 1862 to April, 1864. The unit fought with the army from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, served with Hood in Tennessee, and ended the war defending Mobile. At Shiloh this regiment took 507 men into action, but only 289 moved to Farmington. The 13th/20th reported 20 killed, 89 wounded, and 78 missing at Murfreesboro, lost 43% of the 289 engaged at Chickamauga, and totaled 191 men and 71 arms in December, 1863. The 20th had 59 effectives in November 1864, and surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. The field officers were Colonels Augustus Reichard and Leon Von Zinken, and Lieutenant Colonels S.L. Bishop, Samuel Boyd, and Charles Guillet.

Outside of this for my relative this is what I have.

Enlisted : Dec 21, 1861 @ Camp Lewis / Company F, 20th Louisiana Infantry
March/April 1862 : Absent (sick with leave)
May/June 1862 : Absent (wounded at Shiloh & Sent to New Orleans) - nature of wound : severely foot

I do not have a discharge date persay but I do have a regimental return slip dated May/June 1862 and under remarks I cant quite make it out but it looks like it says _______ from the roll, I dont know what the word they used was but I assume discharge was May/June 1862.

So with that said I am looking for more information pertaining to the 20th Regiment Louisiana Company F between December 21, 1861 and May/June 1862. Photos would be welcomed as well as I have had way better luck finding these surviving slips than I have on finding photos of these specific regiments/companies let alone finding confirmed images of battle flags for said regiments.
Its 2 Colonels were both Prussians, Colonel Reichard being the Prussian ambassador in New Orleans when the war began. Leon von Zinken led the consolidated 13th/20th Regiment until he lost a limb at Ezra Church, being assigned to Post duty at Columbus, Georgia, where he was Howell Cobb's 2nd in command opposing Wilson at the last battle there in 1865.
I do not know the make up of the Regiment, if it just happened to have 2 German colonels, or if it had a large section of German americans serving in the unit.