Status
Not open for further replies.

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
If you're interested in going to this event, please RSVP in the module at the top of the thread! Get your RSVP in before September 25th!

CivilWarTalk
Fall Muster, October 9th - 11th, 2020
“Antietam in the Autumn”

itinerary
To be Determined!

Friday, October 9
Saturday, October 10
Sunday October 11

host hotel: hampton inn
157 Pimlico Drive
Charles Town, WV 25414

304-725-2200
www.charlestownsuites.hamptoninn.com

RESERVE YOUR ROOM & GET THE GROUP DISCOUNT!

You will have to call them to book your room at the discount rate… 304-725-2200
Be sure to tell them your with the CivilWarTalk Group

Use Code: CWG

Or -- you can book on-line at www.charlestownsuites.hamptoninn.com, enter the dates and Convention / Group Code CWG.

Please note cut-off date for reservations is 9/12/2020.

Room Rates: If you want to come in early and stay later, we have these rates:
(it’s over Columbus Day weekend so it gets a bit complicated.)

Wednesday/Thursday October 7th and 8th, rate is $109.00 (+tax)

Friday/Saturday – October 9th and 10th, rate is $151.00 (+tax)

Sunday, October 11th, rate is $126.00 (+tax)

Guarantee & Payment:
Individual credit cards are required when making reservations.

Cancellation Policy:
Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid charges to credit card.

Check-in Time:
3:00 pm and checkout is 11:00 am each day. Early check-ins and late checkouts are extremely difficult to arrange and as such we cannot guarantee their availability.

Cut-off Date for Reservation: 9/12/2020
After this date, rate quoted and availability cannot be guaranteed and reservation will still be accepted on a “space available” basis only by dialing hotel directly.

We have 25 double/queen rooms in total - if we get 15 reservations, we get the "War Room" for free!

The Fall Muster will be at Antietam on October 9th, 10th, 11th, 2020.
Make plans now to attend.
If anyone is willing to do a presentation please PM me @NH Civil War Gal and @Stone in the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything in and out of Dulles IAD cost more according to AAA when they recently rated all the big airports around here. But Dulles is convenient to me being a half hour away (if the traffic is problem-free); the long term parking is cheaper compared to Reagan or BWI. Richmond might be better it you want to visit Luray and then drive up through the Valley.

Have been looking at Richmond for a base, with daily trips out to see as much as possible. Daily driving is good, but across the country, not so much. Planning continues. Thank you all again for the hints!

Just found out the Longstreet Society is hosting their annual seminar October 10-11 at Antietam. They will be headquartered at the Hilton Garden Inn. This shouldn't adversely affect our CWT muster, but I thought I should mention it. We might even be able to partner with them for a presentation.

I'm sure you can be persuasive!

Just found out the Longstreet Society is hosting their annual seminar October 10-11 at Antietam. They will be headquartered at the Hilton Garden Inn. This shouldn't adversely affect our CWT muster, but I thought I should mention it. We might even be able to partner with them for a presentation.
Did the person you communicated with mention anything about the visitor center?

Did the person you communicated with mention anything about the visitor center?

No. I'm a lifetime member of the Longstreet Society (no surprise there). I receive the monthly newsletter and the dates were announced in this month's publication. It's possible the organizers don't even know about the Visitor Center closing. I think Cory M. Pfarr, a CWT member (I think), may be presenting.

It is not at all clear to me who is organizing this gathering. Some direction has got to be provided on where folks plant their feet at night.

Frederick and Hagerstown, MD both have plenty of hotels that are decent, affordable and within striking distance of major airports and along major interstates. Four hundred bucks a night in West Virginia for a lovely hotel room may work for some, but you've got to add the Uber bill to get there. It's a long way from anywhere.

I'm pretty much local and if there's anything I can do to help organizers, please let me know. This should be fun, let's make it easy on everyone, eh?

It is not at all clear to me who is organizing this gathering. Some direction has got to be provided on where folks plant their feet at night.
Patience my friend. Its 9 months and 9 days away- 283 days from now. @NH Civil War Gal and @Stone in the wall are organizing the event and they are working on the arrangements. As soon as they contract with a hotel, they will let us know. In the meantime, the dates are set so people can request vacation.

Frederick and Hagerstown, MD both have plenty of hotels that are decent, affordable and within striking distance of major airports and along major interstates. Four hundred bucks a night in West Virginia for a lovely hotel room may work for some, but you've got to add the Uber bill to get there. It's a long way from anywhere.

I'm pretty much local and if there's anything I can do to help organizers, please let me know. This should be fun, let's make it easy on everyone, eh?
Drew, I suggested the West Virginia area because it's much less driving time to Sharpsburg and Harpers Ferry. We can spend more time on the main sites and battlefields. Thanks again for the offer to help.

Last edited:
The latest I've seen on the visitor's center is that it may close in July and will remain closed for up to 2 years !
I was up there before Christmas. They are planning to set the visitors center up in a trailer. The movie may even be available.

Here is an update: we received the contract from the hotel just before Christmas, literally. We are still looking at it as it is a number of pages and they want certain guarantees some of which needs to be discussed with the hotel.

I was up there before Christmas. They are planning to set the visitors center up in a trailer. The movie may even be available.
The very first time I visited the battlefield, back in 1961 during the Centennial, there was NO visitor center - one of the rooms in the Caretaker's Cottage beside the gate to the National Cemetery had a very few displays, plus a rack with the battlefield auto tour folders. I'm sure we can manage somehow without one if absolutely necessary.

For those planning to come you will see some of these markers. About 25 are in Jefferson County marking ACW sights This one is about a mile from my home. It marks where Blazer's scouts suprised companies A&B 43rd Battalion. Just so you'll know what they are.
IMG_0207.JPG

View attachment 339405

Thanks to @Stone in the wall for inadvertently posting a photo taken from just across the Potomac of the Bavarian Inn we've been discussing among prospective places to stay!
I'm a little late to the party, but know some of the people at the Bavarian Inn and can see what type of group rate we can get. My unit also does most of the CS artillery and infantry demos for the Park Service at "Sharpsburg" and might be able to put something together with NPS. The Visitor Center needs a drastic overhaul, we have been complaining about the displays for years, so you are not missing much. One of our members is a ranger at Monocacy and we are in the process of trying to get the Museum of the Confederacy, whoops I mean the museum of the American Civil War to loan items that haven't seen the light of day, for years, to both Sharpsburg and Monocacy.

Unfortunately I have to be in Las Vegas for a conference on the 11th so logistically I may have to bail early......

... The Visitor Center needs a drastic overhaul, we have been complaining about the displays for years, so you are not missing much. One of our members is a ranger at Monocacy and we are in the process of trying to get the Museum of the Confederacy, whoops I mean the museum of the American Civil War to loan items that haven't seen the light of day, for years, to both Sharpsburg and Monocacy...
The items displayed I most like are the Stonewall Jackson/Henry Kyd Douglas ones and the frock coat worn by the Union artillery officer in the adjoining case. The reproductions of the paintings of the battlefield done by the Union officer that surround the display are also very helpful in imagining what it looked like during the battle.

For those planning to come you will see some of these markers. About 25 are in Jefferson County marking ACW sights This one is about a mile from my home. It marks where Blazer's scouts suprised companies A&B 43rd Battalion. Just so you'll know what they are.

Thanks for the heads up! For those of us who will be there for the very first time, is there a website or someplace we can find out what all the different markers signify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back