Status
Not open for further replies.

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
If you're interested in going to this event, please RSVP in the module at the top of the thread! Get your RSVP in before September 25th!

CivilWarTalk
Fall Muster, October 9th - 11th, 2020
“Antietam in the Autumn”

itinerary
To be Determined!

Friday, October 9
Saturday, October 10
Sunday October 11

host hotel: hampton inn
157 Pimlico Drive
Charles Town, WV 25414

304-725-2200
www.charlestownsuites.hamptoninn.com

RESERVE YOUR ROOM & GET THE GROUP DISCOUNT!

You will have to call them to book your room at the discount rate… 304-725-2200
Be sure to tell them your with the CivilWarTalk Group

Use Code: CWG

Or -- you can book on-line at www.charlestownsuites.hamptoninn.com, enter the dates and Convention / Group Code CWG.

Please note cut-off date for reservations is 9/12/2020.

Room Rates: If you want to come in early and stay later, we have these rates:
(it’s over Columbus Day weekend so it gets a bit complicated.)

Wednesday/Thursday October 7th and 8th, rate is $109.00 (+tax)

Friday/Saturday – October 9th and 10th, rate is $151.00 (+tax)

Sunday, October 11th, rate is $126.00 (+tax)

Guarantee & Payment:
Individual credit cards are required when making reservations.

Cancellation Policy:
Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid charges to credit card.

Check-in Time:
3:00 pm and checkout is 11:00 am each day. Early check-ins and late checkouts are extremely difficult to arrange and as such we cannot guarantee their availability.

Cut-off Date for Reservation: 9/12/2020
After this date, rate quoted and availability cannot be guaranteed and reservation will still be accepted on a “space available” basis only by dialing hotel directly.

We have 25 double/queen rooms in total - if we get 15 reservations, we get the "War Room" for free!

The Fall Muster will be at Antietam on October 9th, 10th, 11th, 2020.
Make plans now to attend.
If anyone is willing to do a presentation please PM me @NH Civil War Gal and @Stone in the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that some of you may be surprised but I am 71 be 72 June 2020. I am a morning boy get up early if I sleep later than 6 a.m. then I am sick.. had to be at work by 4:30 a.m. when I was younger. Now that I am retired I still get up early today up at 3 a.m. getting ready to go deer hunting. Deer season started November 23 d, ends January 1st. On what I call a normal week; Monday through Friday up by 4 have coffee breakfast, do my bible reading, get dressed, help get my wife off to work then I leave to go hunting. Walking or fishing. Don’t hunt when raining cold weather does’t stop me from hunting or fishing.
Get home from at time various and have supper on the table when she gets home from work.
During Spring - Summer months after she gets off to work I go walking at least 4-5 miles. Maybe go fly fishing, working in yard cutting grass etc. Life to short have fun!

Age is honestly a state of mind. My granddad and his son-in-law, my dad, both shod horses in their 70's and 80's. Daddy was still surreptitiously getting on horses up to the day he died (my mom watched him take a bronc to the ground after he'd had two heart attacks and wasn't having it). But old basketball/riding injuries sure can make you miserable...

I priced that Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown. Dates for the days specified are to wit: 2 nights in a room with one king bed and a sofa bed with the cheapest view was $420.00. I assume that means $210.00 a night. Of course you have to add the additional taxes, surcharges and questionable fees that most hotels tack on to your bill.

This Bavarian Inn is real posh and swanky and I can see why it would cost someone so much to stay there. Some of us may not want to spend that kind of money.

I priced that Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown. Dates for the days specified are to wit: 2 nights in a room with one king bed and a sofa bed with the cheapest view was $420.00. I assume that means $210.00 a night. Of course you have to add the additional taxes, surcharges and questionable fees that most hotels tack on to your bill.

This Bavarian Inn is real posh and swanky and I can see why it would cost someone so much to stay there. Some of us may not want to spend that kind of money.

Yeah..........that wouldn't exactly be kind on my wallet. lol

This link shows a map that says the Shenandoah Valley has peak fall colors between October 10-20.👍👍👍

Give or take on the weather.

Look at that map again. They misaligned the date range labels so that they are in the wrong location with respect to the 3 regions of Virginia. The October 10-20 dates of peak foliage colors actually correspond to the western most region of the state. The central region of Virginia should be labeled as October 15-25 for peak colors. It's difficult to make out what the dates for the eastern region would be since the white font is over a white background, but it turns out to be Oct. 20-31. Therefore, we will be looking at mostly green trees during the Antietam weekend.

Look at that map again. They misaligned the date range labels so that they are in the wrong location with respect to the 3 regions of Virginia. The October 10-20 dates of peak foliage colors actually correspond to the western most region of the state. The central region of Virginia should be labeled as October 15-25 for peak colors. It's difficult to make out what the dates for the eastern region would be since the white font is over a white background, but it turns out to be Oct. 20-31. Therefore, we will be looking at mostly green trees during the Antietam weekend.

To sort of paraphrase General Lee from the movie Gettysburg, "Behind, in front: The leaf color does not matter." We'll enjoy the color we're given even if it's green. :giggle:

Last edited:
Has anyone been to the Clarion Inn at Charlestown? 2.1 miles from Harpers Ferry.
Looking forward to this and prime motorcycle weather. Bringing big touring bike. Back seat will be open. No better way to tour the field other then by horse.
I did that several years ago and it works out real good, and you probably won't have to kick start yours every time you stop!

After sitting in traffic with with all the rubberneckers, I hit the back roads.
Traffic
Little ways upriver from bridge
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG

I guess that some of you may be surprised but I am 71 be 72 June 2020. I am a morning boy get up early if I sleep later than 6 a.m. then I am sick.. had to be at work by 4:30 a.m. when I was younger. Now that I am retired I still get up early today up at 3 a.m. getting ready to go deer hunting. Deer season started November 23 d, ends January 1st. On what I call a normal week; Monday through Friday up by 4 have coffee breakfast, do my bible reading, get dressed, help get my wife off to work then I leave to go hunting. Walking or fishing. Don’t hunt when raining cold weather does’t stop me from hunting or fishing.
Get home from at time various and have supper on the table when she gets home from work.
During Spring - Summer months after she gets off to work I go walking at least 4-5 miles. Maybe go fly fishing, working in yard cutting grass etc. Life to short have fun!
Well, I've got you beat by two years, as of last May. Actually, I've had 39 birthdays -- that last one has been repeated 34 times now. And, sometimes I don't get to sleep until after 4 a.m., then maybe 3 or 4 hours until the cat sits on my head telling me its time to feed her -- maybe take a nap later. I envy you your strength and energy ... mine's kaput!

I'd love to be able to make the Antietam gathering, but my health just doesn't allow it (I'm feeling great, but a trip like that just might be enough do me in -- probably before the first day ended). I was there twice some 30 years ago (seems like yesterday), but would love to go again, especially with all of you good folks.

I lead an outdoor youth group and our winter hike was supposed to go across that very bridge. Hopefully they can get the passenger walkway up and running again by the end of winter.
Surprised me it happened. Doesn't seem like that long ago the river was at or close to flood stage, and they parked a train on it for weight. They'll fix it pretty quick. B&O doesn't like to loose money or customers.

Not sure how I made duplicates? The stone building was a woolen mill near Hillsboro Va. I believe this is the last remaining example of "The Burning" in Loudon county.
great pics, I pass through Hillsboro on the way to our cabin. Rt 704 off Rt 15 to Rt 9 up to the mountain top and then down to Mission Rd on the left. Where exactly is this stone house structure?? Back in '92 I visited a farm outside the town of Hillsboro cause I knew Mosby had passed through several times during the course of the War. I was told I could ride one of their old gray mares since I'd never been on a horse before aside from riding ponies or on the merry-go-round. So I had on what I considered a half-way good impression of one of Mosby's rangers. They didn't girth the saddle right, the old lady had lungfulls of air when they tightened it up. I got up on the saddle; it twisted right over and onto the ground I went. Good thing I didn't break my neck or get seriously injured. Falling off a horse either standing still or when you're riding it is no fun at all. I went on to ride around for a few hours. The horse was very gentle and I barely got off to a gallop. By the way this was October of 92, the leaves were changing colors as you can see....
img20191222_12381686 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Have been looking a
great pics, I pass through Hillsboro on the way to our cabin. Rt 704 off Rt 15 to Rt 9 up to the mountain top and then down to Mission Rd on the left. Where exactly is this stone house structure?? Back in '92 I visited a farm outside the town of Hillsboro cause I knew Mosby had passed through several times during the course of the War. I was told I could ride one of their old gray mares since I'd never been on a horse before aside from riding ponies or on the merry-go-round. So I had on what I considered a half-way good impression of one of Mosby's rangers. They didn't girth the saddle right, the old lady had lungfulls of air when they tightened it up. I got up on the saddle; it twisted right over and onto the ground I went. Good thing I didn't break my neck or get seriously injured. Falling off a horse either standing still or when you're riding it is no fun at all. I went on to ride around for a few hours. The horse was very gentle and I barley got off to a gallop. By the way this was October of 92, the leaves were changing colors as you can see....View attachment 339476
I like your pictures. We need to hook up I live about 3/4 mile off Mission road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back