Official Muster 2020 Antietam Fall Muster Announced! October 9th -- 11th

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

BillH

Private
Anything in and out of Dulles IAD cost more according to AAA when they recently rated all the big airports around here. But Dulles is convenient to me being a half hour away (if the traffic is problem-free); the long term parking is cheaper compared to Reagan or BWI. Richmond might be better it you want to visit Luray and then drive up through the Valley.
Have been looking at Richmond for a base, with daily trips out to see as much as possible. Daily driving is good, but across the country, not so much. Planning continues. Thank you all again for the hints!

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Just found out the Longstreet Society is hosting their annual seminar October 10-11 at Antietam. They will be headquartered at the Hilton Garden Inn. This shouldn't adversely affect our CWT muster, but I thought I should mention it. We might even be able to partner with them for a presentation.
I'm sure you can be persuasive!

Podad

First Sergeant
Just found out the Longstreet Society is hosting their annual seminar October 10-11 at Antietam. They will be headquartered at the Hilton Garden Inn. This shouldn't adversely affect our CWT muster, but I thought I should mention it. We might even be able to partner with them for a presentation.
Did the person you communicated with mention anything about the visitor center?

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
Did the person you communicated with mention anything about the visitor center?
No. I'm a lifetime member of the Longstreet Society (no surprise there). I receive the monthly newsletter and the dates were announced in this month's publication. It's possible the organizers don't even know about the Visitor Center closing. I think Cory M. Pfarr, a CWT member (I think), may be presenting.

Drew

Major
It is not at all clear to me who is organizing this gathering. Some direction has got to be provided on where folks plant their feet at night.

Frederick and Hagerstown, MD both have plenty of hotels that are decent, affordable and within striking distance of major airports and along major interstates. Four hundred bucks a night in West Virginia for a lovely hotel room may work for some, but you've got to add the Uber bill to get there. It's a long way from anywhere.

I'm pretty much local and if there's anything I can do to help organizers, please let me know. This should be fun, let's make it easy on everyone, eh?

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
It is not at all clear to me who is organizing this gathering. Some direction has got to be provided on where folks plant their feet at night.
Patience my friend. Its 9 months and 9 days away- 283 days from now. @NH Civil War Gal and @Stone in the wall are organizing the event and they are working on the arrangements. As soon as they contract with a hotel, they will let us know. In the meantime, the dates are set so people can request vacation.

Stone in the wall

First Sergeant
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV

Frederick and Hagerstown, MD both have plenty of hotels that are decent, affordable and within striking distance of major airports and along major interstates. Four hundred bucks a night in West Virginia for a lovely hotel room may work for some, but you've got to add the Uber bill to get there. It's a long way from anywhere.

I'm pretty much local and if there's anything I can do to help organizers, please let me know. This should be fun, let's make it easy on everyone, eh?
Drew, I suggested the West Virginia area because it's much less driving time to Sharpsburg and Harpers Ferry. We can spend more time on the main sites and battlefields. Thanks again for the offer to help.

Last edited:

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I was up there before Christmas. They are planning to set the visitors center up in a trailer. The movie may even be available.
The very first time I visited the battlefield, back in 1961 during the Centennial, there was NO visitor center - one of the rooms in the Caretaker's Cottage beside the gate to the National Cemetery had a very few displays, plus a rack with the battlefield auto tour folders. I'm sure we can manage somehow without one if absolutely necessary.

Package4

1st Lieutenant
View attachment 339405

Thanks to @Stone in the wall for inadvertently posting a photo taken from just across the Potomac of the Bavarian Inn we've been discussing among prospective places to stay!
I'm a little late to the party, but know some of the people at the Bavarian Inn and can see what type of group rate we can get. My unit also does most of the CS artillery and infantry demos for the Park Service at "Sharpsburg" and might be able to put something together with NPS. The Visitor Center needs a drastic overhaul, we have been complaining about the displays for years, so you are not missing much. One of our members is a ranger at Monocacy and we are in the process of trying to get the Museum of the Confederacy, whoops I mean the museum of the American Civil War to loan items that haven't seen the light of day, for years, to both Sharpsburg and Monocacy.

Unfortunately I have to be in Las Vegas for a conference on the 11th so logistically I may have to bail early......

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
... The Visitor Center needs a drastic overhaul, we have been complaining about the displays for years, so you are not missing much. One of our members is a ranger at Monocacy and we are in the process of trying to get the Museum of the Confederacy, whoops I mean the museum of the American Civil War to loan items that haven't seen the light of day, for years, to both Sharpsburg and Monocacy...
The items displayed I most like are the Stonewall Jackson/Henry Kyd Douglas ones and the frock coat worn by the Union artillery officer in the adjoining case. The reproductions of the paintings of the battlefield done by the Union officer that surround the display are also very helpful in imagining what it looked like during the battle.

archieclement

Captain
I've been rather silent, its not a lack of interest. Next month have illeostomy reversed and should be wrapping up cancer treatment by end of Feb or mid March. So kinda waiting to see how it all goes and ends up.