2019 Summer Trip

Yes, at least when we were there. I keep forgetting to ask what the river stage has to be when the road to Cobun is open. The floodwater was right up to the road going into the museum and you could see small pieces of debris still along the pavement from when it had been under water just a couple days before. Backroad into Grindstone Ford was under too - had to use Natchez Trace entrance and then hike a jungle path to get in there.

@alan polk you may be pleased to know that because of your influence, I got my own copy of the Struggle for Vicksburg magazine from Civil War Times. Good maps and good price...2.99! (and no duct tape!) And because of your recommendation, my wife ordered me a copy of Grabau's 98 Days. Looking forward to receiving that! I also picked Foote's Beleaguered City and a Mort Kuntsler book.

BUT....At Vicksburg National Park, they had a copy of the Vicksburg O.R. set (all 3 volumes) for $47. I snagged those up as well! Now my research shelf needs expanding!

And we did make it out to Central Market to try out that muffuletta. Wife thought it was okay, I wasn't much of a fan. But big sandwich.

@alan polk you may be pleased to know that because of your influence, I got my own copy of the Struggle for Vicksburg magazine from Civil War Times. Good maps and good price...2.99! (and no duct tape!) And because of your recommendation, my wife ordered me a copy of Grabau's 98 Days. Looking forward to receiving that! I also picked Foote's Beleaguered City and a Mort Kuntsler book.

BUT....At Vicksburg National Park, they had a copy of the Vicksburg O.R. set (all 3 volumes) for $47. I snagged those up as well! Now my research shelf needs expanding!

And we did make it out to Central Market to try out that muffuletta. Wife thought it was okay, I wasn't much of a fan. But big sandwich.
That’s awesome! Now, I did not know the Park had ORs there at that price! Were there anymore, or did you get the last of them? You say all 3 for 47 bucks? Or 47 each?

You’ll enjoy 98 days, especially when you get around studying McClernand’s movements. And now that you have been to those places, you’ll have a mental picture to go along with what he is explaining.

You didn’t find my duct tape on Struggle for Vicksburg too fashionable?

Well, at least now you can say you had a muffuletta from the place that invented it, although I think it is called Central Grocery. Same way you can now say you’ve been to that hippie joint on Hwy 61 in Vicksburg and had a BLT!

That’s awesome! Now, I did not know the Park had ORs there at that price! Were there anymore, or did you get the last of them? You say all 3 for 47 bucks? Or 47 each?
All 3 for 47. The lady actually commented she wondered who was going to snag the last set. They had two, first set sold a week or two before. The CW Book Exchange on Facebook never seemed to have the Vicksburg set. I got the 2 volumes for Chickasaw Bayou and Arkansas Post off there, but first time I ever came across the Vicksburg set.

You’ll enjoy 98 days, especially when you get around studying McClernand’s movements. And now that you have been to those places, you’ll have a mental picture to go along with what he is explaining.
Yes, and plenty of pictures! Between my wife and myself we took 900 photos over our entire trip. I still need to organize them a bit better but working on it.

You didn’t find my duct tape on Struggle for Vicksburg too fashionable?
It was a homely, working look! But hey, considering you needed to cover it tells me you use it a lot. So must be a good one. BTW...you didn't tell me they had a letter from Dr. Stevenson in the book!

Well, at least now you can say you had a muffuletta from the place that invented it, although I think it is called Central Grocery. Same way you can now say you’ve been to that hippie joint on Hwy 61 in Vicksburg and had a BLT!
The BLT was really good. We ate on Bourban Street and I had some sort of pasta with shrimp and alligator sausage. Man, that was GOOD. And we saw plenty of alligators on our 'swamp tour' which was more of a bayou tour, but seen several. So that was cool.

Contacted the Park and they don’t know if they’ll re-order any. They have such a bureaucracy there, they could not find out for me. They gave me the number to the publisher. The publisher told me I could get the three volume set for $150.00!! Dang!

If you ever want to get rid of Volume 24 of the series, I’ll buy it from you!

Contacted the Park and they don’t know if they’ll re-order any. They have such a bureaucracy there, they could not find out for me. They gave me the number to the publisher. The publisher told me I could get the three volume set for $150.00!! Dang!

There is a Facebook Civil War Book Exchange group that ORs will sometimes come up. That's how I got the Vol. 17 editions for $10 each. You can even request if anyone has any to sell.

There is a Facebook Civil War Book Exchange group that ORs will sometimes come up. That's how I got the Vol. 17 editions for $10 each. You can even request if anyone has any to sell.
Okay. I will try that. I didn’t know you could request such. I guess I did not pay close attention to making any requests on their cite when I was there before. Thanks!

Remember our (mis)adventure to Grindstone Ford? Well, I found this wartime sketch and thought of us tromping through that snake-infested jungle to find it:

DCBC7F72-9C07-40AA-99EF-57D0B7E85345.jpeg

I can’t remember if you or your wife took photos of the concrete structure we found in there. If you did, could you post it? I don’t know why I didn’t take a picture of it - guess I was worried about keeping my Nebraska friends from being attacked by cotton mouths!

Well, after a bit of badgering, I got a different lady at the Park who took my requests seriously and she ordered my set. They finally came in today! She saved me a hundred bucks!

48995765-454C-4305-AB70-02C6EA4E6677.jpeg

Back