2018 Summer Trip

Made it to Frankfort. I've had a devil of a time keeping Frankfort and Lexington separate for some reason. Frankfort was our intended destination. Paying respects to two of the Colonels of the 22nd Ky buried in the city (as well as Daniel Boone's grave) before hitting Fort Hill, which we missed last time because it opens so late.

Final day of our vacation. One more planned stop to see the Steamboat Arabia museum in Kansas City then the final few hours to drive home.
Sounds awesome. I’ve always wanted to go to the Arabia museum. I hope you take pics of it and post a few here. Have fun and be safe!!

The Arabia was awesome. Anyone with an interest in steamboats or even frontier life will love it. Best of all, their displays use a either a glass or good lighting where you get virtually no glare taking photos of the displays. Wished more places did that.

My wife and I will be taking another trip east the first couple of weeks of July. We have a stop in eastern Kentucky before heading up to Gettysburg, then down to Washington, DC so I can hit the research room at the National Archives. Our main destination is Charleston, SC so she can see family.

My first question is this (I'm sure I will have more): After visiting Manassas, which would be the better stop; Fredericksburg or Appomattox? Stopping at both isn't probably an option due to time constraints.

I'd vote Fredericksburg as well. My recommendation there, take the walk up Marye's Heights...we ended up spending a TON of time up there, it was well worth it. Chancellorsville is interesting because of the main roads that cut through but when you get to the area that Jackson came flying out of the woods at the 11th corps...that place is really cool. Looks like fields but read up on it, listen to a tour, something to set the sense of what happened. I'd return to Chancellorsville to stand in that field again.

Time was limited, but we did driving tours of Gettysburg, Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania Court House, Wilderness, Jackson's Shrine and Richmond. We stopped at a battlefield in North Carolina but it was closed on Monday.

It is. Also trying to be fair to my wife. She likes going to these places too but also likes other things. So even though she lets me plan out the trip I don't want to overdo the 'me' part of the trip.
We’re you able to take any pictures of Arabia? I sure would love to see some?

It is. Also trying to be fair to my wife. She likes going to these places too but also likes other things. So even though she lets me plan out the trip I don't want to overdo the 'me' part of the trip.
I know all about that.

Back