200th Anniversary of the Importation of Guinness Stout to America

So, interesting British take on Guiness? Had two babies under the British Health System, married a Brit, lived there for quite awhile. Anyone who wishes to become embattled as to its merits, please think again.

They're huge on babies, child care, child safety and development. Hand's down, never in this country have seen anything close. Giving your newborn a bottle? They act like you're already in jail for child abuse. So in the hospital, during your two week, mandatory stay with a new born ( contrast that to our ' drop and punt outa there ' if you're lucky, one night ) , they bring around the med cart, in the ward.

What's on the cart for breastfeeding mothers? Guiness. Oh please, no one begin with adverse affects of alcohol. Any system taking such intricate care of babies and mothers knows what's up. Guiness!

When I was pregnant with my first baby in Ireland, the doctor advised me to drink Guinness :tongue: A glass a day, considered to be good for you because it contained iron and other things, good for mother and baby alike :wink: I did as the doctor ordered, of course, and she's the smartest one of all my kids...so no adverse affects there :tongue: They also had smoking rooms off the main ward in the hospital, so after giving birth you could enjoy a ciggie if you felt like one! Way to go Ireland with keeping those bad habits going as long as possible :tongue:

When I was pregnant with my first baby in Ireland, the doctor advised me to drink Guinness :tongue: A glass a day, considered to be good for you because it contained iron and other things, good for mother and baby alike :wink: I did as the doctor ordered, of course, and she's the smartest one of all my kids...so no adverse affects there :tongue: They also had smoking rooms off the main ward in the hospital, so after giving birth you could enjoy a ciggie if you felt like one! Way to go Ireland with keeping those bad habits going as long as possible :tongue:

I have heard about the high iron content in Guinness. In eras past it was quite common to drink during pregnancy and no one thought it unusual. While I certainly don't promote drinking while carrying a baby, so many children were born healthy back in the day that one would assume a drink here or there probably wouldn't cause any harm to the baby.

My pregnancies happened before there was any publicity about fetal alcohol syndrome, and none of my 4 were affected. I did cut way back, though, and even when not pregnant drank only on special occasions. Also, beer was suggested for breast-feeding mothers, to help them relax--by Dr. Spock, no less! Again, no effect on my 4.

Those were also the days when any mother wanting natural childbirth or breast-feeding had to fight with hospital and medical staff to do so. As far as I was concerned, the sooner baby and I got out of the hospital, the better!

@Pat Young and I don't agree often but on this one I know we are in TOTAL agreement on this one. Happy Anniversary Guinness. I do love Guinness but it has to be in Ireland not as stout over here.
guinness.jpg

Back