2 small but important items of paper

General Butler

First Sergeant
2 framed items one of which surely graced many homes.
"Who will care for mother now?" The short poem of going into battle but soon to be marching with Angel's. I have for my country fallen...who will care for Mother now.

Item 2 could be a rare (ish) saves piece...a until USO production.
The Geary Thespian Corp from the 28th Reg, Penn Vols, Camp Goodman, Point of Rocks, MD, January 2q, 1862.
This spot is just across the river from Haprers Ferry. They did music, a comic song, a piece called Ethiopian Eccentricities, at called The Last Man, more music, a grenadier drill from Company K and ending g with a short act by the Company called The Toodles
Needless to say the female parts were played by men...much ribbing soon followed I suspect.
Sadly I am approaching the end of the items except for ltr covers and Butler paper.
Enjoy.

1597603527403446110492796512182.jpg

15976035535135978466838519578122.jpg

15976035805091915498121316340293.jpg

Thank you for posting these they are interesting. There is a lot of imagery in the "Who Will Care for Mother" item. Imagery in this kind of thing was intended to cause an emotional response. This allows us to better understand the people of the era.

Thank you for posting these they are interesting. There is a lot of imagery in the "Who Will Care for Mother" item. Imagery in this kind of thing was intended to cause an emotional response. This allows us to better understand the people of the era.
Visual also worked well for people who could not read but felt the pull of human loss. I do like the civil war USO show flier too as I have yet to see anything like it, though I suspect they are out there

The excerpt at the top, just above the actual poem sets the sad tone. I can see how this pulled on people's emotions during that time period

Back