Trivia 2-7-19 Say My Name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major General Israel Bush Richardson (December 26, 1815-November 3, 1862, whose nickname was "Fighting Dick", was born in Fairfax, Vermont, one of 23 West Point classmates who became a general; fought in the Second Seminole War and the Mexican-American War, became a farmer in Pontiac, Michigan; in the Civil War, he organized the 2nd Michigan Infantry; and wounded at Sharpsburg, Maryland, but pneumonia claimed his life.

I'm stymied.

I planned to start my search by looking for West Point classes that included 23 or more Civil War generals. However, the result of my search indicated that the largest number of Civil War generals included in any single West Point class was 20, which happened in 1841 and 1846, so I couldn't find a class with 23 generals.

Then I tried looking through the lists of both Union and Confederate Civil War generals for someone who died of pneumonia in 1862, but the only one I could find was Confederate John Bordenave Villepigue, who was not a Vermont native and did not fight in either the Mexican or Second Seminole War.

But he's all I've got, so I'll say his name. It was pronounced VIL-uh-PIG. I suppose his nickname could have been "Piggy."

Edit - It appears that nobody else had trouble finding the correct answer to this question. It appear that multiple sources state that the West Point Class of 1841 included 23 Civil War generals, though none of the sources that were cited give the names of all 23.

If anyone can find a site listing the names of all 23 Civil War generals who graduated with the Class of 1841, please send me a conversation and let me know where to find it.

hoosier

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back