Trivia 2-7-19 Say My Name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
A Vermont native, I was one of 23 in my USMA class to become generals during the Civil War. I served in the Second Seminole War, the Mexican War - where I got my nickname - as well as various frontier posts, before resigning my commission to become a farmer. At the start of the Civil War, I recruited and organized an infantry regiment. I was wounded during an 1862 battle and died a couple of months later of pneumonia.
Who am I?
What is my nickname?

credit: @sarladaise

MG Israel Bush "Fighting Dick" Richardson
Born in Fairfax, Vermont

He was a graduate of the USMC, class of 1841 – a class that contributed twenty-three generals to the Civil War.
He fought in the Second Seminole War in Florida. During the Mexican American War, he earned the nickname “Fighting Dick”
Richardson resigned his commission in 1855. For the next five years he lived life as a farmer.
On May 25, 1861, the 2nd Michigan Infantry was formed under his command.
Wounded in the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862
November 3, 1862, Israel Richardson succumbed to his injuries

http://www.civilwarmed.org/richardson/

Israel B. Richardson
nickname: "Fighting Dick"

Leading his men at Antietam, General Richardson pushed beyond Bloody Lane (Sunken Road) when he was struck by a shell fragment. Carried to the rear, Richardson was treated at a field hospital. His wound was not considered life-threatening, and he was given a room in Major General George B. McClellan's headquarters, the Pry House. President Abraham Lincoln paid his respects to the wounded Richardson during a visit to the battlefield in October. However, infection set in, and then pneumonia, which claimed the life of the popular general in early November.

A Vermont native, I was one of 23 in my USMA class to become generals during the Civil War. I served in the Second Seminole War, the Mexican War - where I got my nickname - as well as various frontier posts, before resigning my commission to become a farmer. At the start of the Civil War, I recruited and organized an infantry regiment. I was wounded during an 1862 battle and died a couple of months later of pneumonia.
Who am I?
What is my nickname?

credit: @sarladaise
Israel B. 'Fighting Dick' Richardson (1815-1862).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back