Trivia 2-4-16 Who am I and What did I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in New York and graduated from West Point in 1861. My disastrous experience during the Chancellorsville Campaign initiated my development as the premier military theorist in the postwar United States. During the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign I was brevetted major general, and after the war I served as commandant of cadets at West Point.

1) Who am I?
2) What was the name of my book that was published after my suicide in 1881.

credit: @chellers
Emory Upton
The Military Policy of the United States

Emory Upton

Edit - Bowen, you are correct that Emory Upton was the person described, but this was a two-part question, which also asked for the name of the book.

Welcome to the trivia game. Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
You are Emory Upton, and the book was 'Military Philosophy'

Edit - Paul Granger, you are correct on the name of the person described, but incorrect on the name of the book.

Welcome to the trivia game and to CivilWarTalk. If you haven't done so already, you're invited to stop by the New Recruits Meet & Greet forum to introduce yourself to some more CivilWarTalkers.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

(1) Emory Upton
(2)The Military Policy of the United States from 1775
Source: Wikipedia article, "Emory Upton" (after looking up commandants of West Point to see who fit), and Shelby Foote vol. 3.

According to wikipedia (not always right!) and Shelby Foote (ditto!) it was Upton's attack on the Mule Shoe at Spottsylvania (a year after Chancellorsville) that started his reputation for innovative tactics.

BREVET Major General Emory Upton & the book is the "The Armies of Europe & Asia.

Edit - Shiloh62, you're correct on the name of the person described, but although he did write "The Armies of Europe & Asia," it was published in 1878, prior to Upton's death, so it is not the book that the question asked for.

Welcome to the trivia game. Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Emory Upton

Bonus- 2 books were published after Upton's suicide.
The Military Policy of the United States (posthumous, 1904) & Infantry Tactics in Use at the N.Y.S. Reformatory (posthumous, 1889)

Edit - It is correct that both of these were published after Upton's suicide. While most players' answers referred to the first of these two books, there's nothing in the question that would make the second book any less valid as a response. I'll accept either one.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back