Trivia 2-25-19 Meteorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is Bernard J D Irwin and he served as medical director under Major General William Bull Nelson. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions at Apache Pass against Cochise in 1861, however, the MoH wasn't created till 1862. In 1857, he donated a meteorite to the Smithsonian that became known as the Irwin-Ainsa.

Let me jog your memory, sir: You are Bernard John Dowling Irwin (June 24, 1830 – December 15, 1917), in 1862 you served as medical director under Major General William "Bull" Nelson*, and the meteorite you donated to the Smithsonian Institution is known as the Irwin-Ainsa (Tucson) meteorite.

* Subsequent CW career: Captured during the Battle of Richmond in August 1862, released in October 1862, became medical director in the Army of the Southwest, from 1863-1865 served as superintendent of the military hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

Source: Wikipedia

Bernard John Dowling Irwin (24 June 1830 – 15 December 1917)
Medical Director under Major General William "Bull" Nelson
The meteorite he donated to the Smithsonian became known as the Irwin-Ainsa (Tuscon) meteorite
wiki/Bernard_J._D._Irwin

Hard one to answer!! The Best I found.

Brig. Gen. Bernard John Dowling Irwin discovered the Ring Meteorite in Tucson while on assignment at nearby Fort Buchanan. He wrote:

“In 1857 I found the large meteorite lying on one of the by-streets, half buried in the earth, having evidently been there a considerable time. No person claimed it so I publicly announced that I could take possession of it on behalf of the Smithsonian, and forward it whenever the opportunity offered. Mr. Palatine Robinson, near whose house the iron was, assisted me in getting it to Humosilla [Hermosillo]. There was some expense attending its hoisting into the truck wagon that took it down to Sonora which I paid to Mr. Robinson. Mr. Agustin Ainsa agreed to take it or to have it taken to Guaymas, Sonora for fifty dollars.”

The general left Tucson for service as a medical officer in the Civil War and lost track of the meteorite for several years.

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/10/19/two-tucson-meteorites/

Edit - Welcome to the trivia game, Tut11. Sorry that the first time you played was on a question that won't be counted in the scoring.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
My responses are as follows: The individual's name is Dr. Bernard J.D. Irwin. He was the medical director under Major General William "Bull" Nelson and the name of the meteorite was Irwin-Ainsa (Tuscon). This question was rather tricky however when one has "talent on loan from GOD with one-half of their brain tied behind their back just to make it fair for everyone else", no trivia question is beyond my intellectual ability. David.

1) Bernard J. D. Irwin
2) Major General William Nelson
3) The Irwin-Ainsa meteorite

Source: Bernard J.D. Irwin - wikipedia

*so I accidentally posted the answer to this question on Thursday's answers. So I think everyone who answered should get credit :wink: But we will leave it to @hoosier to decide.

Edit - I entered my edit to the initial post at 7:27 PM Tuesday evening, letting everyone know that I did not intend to count this question in the scoring. I have no way of knowing how many people might have posted the correct answer late Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning if my edit had not discouraged them from doing so.

For that reason, I am standing by my decision not to count the question in the scoring. The new rule will apply from this point forward.

For those who might be curious, I would have accepted either "Tucson" or "Ring" as alternative names for the meteorite.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back