1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 2-24-17 The wrong man on the right side at the wrong place to the wrong time

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

The question is way too mystical for a correct answer, but a shot in the dark, I have no clue answer would be John Aaron Rawlins.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Friday: Have to give up on this one. I'll be visiting today and traveling tomorrow, so out of time. Have some ideas but can't find them online and am away from home. Some I got. The wizard is of course Forrest and the war horse is of course Longstreet. I believe they were in one place only at Chickamauga (Forrest left Bragg right afterwards and Longstreet was sent to Knoxville). Our person died in 1869 (although technically the 4 years after the end of the war would be April 1869 through March 1870). The great ape is Lincoln (that's what McClellan called him).

DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 7 others like this.
  4. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Oops, strange computer, hit wrong key! I looked up a bunch of names on both sides who were at Chickamauga, but the death dates are wrong, except Gen. Thomas, who doesn't fit most of the other criteria. Well, I tried!

Friday answer is therefore :banghead:. I'll be interested to see who this person is and who got enough of the riddle to find out!

DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 8 others like this.
  5. Nayinpa

Nayinpa Private

Bonus: Thomas Morris Chester

DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 9 others like this.
  6. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Friday question - I have no idea

Bonus - Thomas Morris Chester

7. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

No idea

Thomas Morris Chester

DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 9 others like this.
  8. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal

The Great Ape was from the Cornerstone Speech ,
    possibly flag ofTtexas or possibly flag of Virginia.

Edit - The Cornerstone Speech was given by Alexander Stephens in March of 1861. Not sure whether it contains a reference to a great ape, but it doesn't fit the rest of the clues.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
    DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 6 others like this.
  9. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal

hit wrong button....to add to my last post, Just a confused Canadian on that one.

DBF, JohnW., FarawayFriend and 2 others like this.
  10. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Brigadier General James G. Spears.
    Bonus: Thomas Morris Chester.

11. 57th Indiana Infantry

57th Indiana Infantry Corporal Trivia Game Winner

James G. Spears (very good question).

Bonus:

Thomas Morris Chester

DBF, JohnW., sarladaise and 10 others like this.
  12. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

Brig. Gen. James Gallant Spears

Spears (1816-1869) was a farmer and politician from Bledsoe County in East Tennessee. He was a delegate and vice president to the 1861 East Tennesse Convention; and when the (Confederate) authorities wanted to arrest him he went to Kentucky. He left his kids, among those James Jr., John Brown and Napoleon Bonaparte, and became Lt. Colonel of the 1st (Union) Tennessee Infantry Regiment. Spears was made a Brigadier General in March 1862 and commanded a brigade in the Army of the Ohio and later in the Army of the Cumberland. In 1863, seen as incompetent, tyrannic and cruel to both his men and civilians, he lost his command and went before a court-martial but was aquitted. After his return he threatened to arrest every officer who tried to resign - resulting in 27 of them petitioning Rosecrans for his removal again (the petition is available in the ORs). However the course of war forced this to rest. His brigade guarded Lookout Mountain against Forrest's cavalry after Chickamauga and was a part of the relief expedition to Knoxville when it was besieged by Longstreet. When Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation Spears was strongly against it - being a slaveowner himself. Speaking out publicly about his feelings towards it he was accused of disloyalty. He was court-martialed, refused to resign and accordingly was dismissed on August 30, 1864. He returned to his farm near Pikeville in Bledsoe County and died there in 1869, being interred in the city cemetery.

bonus Answer: Thomas Morris Chester. In 1864 the Philadelphia Press hired Thomas Morris Chester, son of an ex-slave, to report on black troops on the Virginia front. The only black correspondent for a major daily during the Civil War, Chester reported from Richmond the final year of the war. He provided readers with first-hand experiences of black soldiers. Chester described the responses of Confederate troops and civilians to encounters with black soldiers, as he joined the black troops of the 25th Army Corps as they led the victorious Union forces into Richmond.

Waterloo50 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.