Trivia 2-22-17 Sanitary Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the list of members who retained their positions for the duration of the war seems to includes only one name that is the same as a US President, I think the answer you are seeking is William H Van Buren?

The Standing Committee initially consisted of five commissioners who retained their position for the entire war: Henry W. Bellows, George Templeton Strong, William H. Van Buren, M.D., Cornelius R. Agnew, M.D., and Wolcott Gibbs. Charles J. Stillé of Philadelphia joined the Standing Committee in 1864. http://archives.nypl.org/mss/3101

Actually two members shared the last name of two different vice-presidents. Standing Committee commissioners William H. Van Buren (Martin Van Buren 1833-1837) and Cornelius R. Agnew (Spiro T. Agnew (1969-1973).

"The demands of the war soon required more frequent decision-making. This led to the creation of the Standing Committee, which met on a nearly-daily basis in New York City where most of its members resided. The Standing Committee initially consisted of five commissioners who retained their position for the entire war: Henry W. Bellows, George Templeton Strong, William H. Van Buren, M.D., Cornelius R. Agnew, M.D., and Wolcott Gibbs. Charles J. Stillé of Philadelphia joined the Standing Committee in 1864."
United States Sanitary Commission Records, 1861 - 1879

united states supreme court

according to this list there were five judges who had taken oath before 12 april 1861 and stayed in office after 9 may 1865 (which is the first of two requirements) - these judges were:

john caltron
nathan clifford
robert cooper grier
samuel nelson and
james moore wayne

none of wich fullfills the 2nd condition, the closest vice president would be nelson a. rockefeller (but that's his given name)

united states sanitary commission

established 18 june 1861 it's contradicted by retained my committee position for the entire war, as it didn't exist for the entire war. however, wikipedia claims:

The Standing Committee initially consisted of five commissioners who retained their position for the entire war: Henry W. Bellows, George Templeton Strong, William H. Van Buren, M.D., Cornelius R. Agnew, M.D., and Prof. Wolcott Gibbs., M.D.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Van_Buren
if i go with wikipedia i find two vice presidents with similar last names (martin van buren and spiro t. agnew), which means the person looked for would be either william h. van buren or cornelius r. agnew.

all other usscs i find got nothing to do with the civil war

oops :banghead: i just read the title after i had writen this stuff, so my final answer is

cornelius r. agnew (spiro is simpy the more colourful of those two vice-presidents)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back