Trivia 2-21-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was born in 1832 in LaGrange, Tn. into the Holcombe family. Our pre Civil War travel took us to St.Petersburg, Russia. While in Russia I had a daughter who was the Goddaughter of Czarina Cathrine. At the onset of the War, I used the jewels given to me by the Czar to outfit seven companies of infantry and one of cavalry. I was the only woman to be afforded this honor by the C.S.A..

Who am I and what was the Honor I received?

credit: @JOHN42768

Lucy Holcombe Pickens, wife of South Carolina Governor Francis Pickens during the Civil War and (the honor:smile: the only woman pictured on Confederate currency.

1550752953306.png

You are Lucy Pettway Holcombe Pickens

The honor you were afforded was that your picture appeared on several bills of Confederate currency

"her likeness appeared on three issues of Confederate currency–the one-dollar bills of 1862 and 1863 and the one-hundred-dollar bill of 1864–making her one of the few women whose likeness has appeared on a national currency, a tribute usually reserved for heads of state."
https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/lucy-pettway-holcombe-pickens/

"An advocate of secession, Lucy Holcombe Pickens was the only woman to be depicted on the currency of the Confederate States of America (three issues of the $100 CSA bill and one issue of the $1 CSA bill, which were printed in Columbia, South Carolina). She was also featured on one issue of $1,000 CSA loan certificates"
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lucy_Pickens&oldid=883749032

Lucy Holcombe Pickens, wife of the Governor of South Carolina. One of the state's units took the name Holcombe Legion in her honor, journalists dubbed her "Queen of the Confederacy" based on her dramatic dress, haughtiness, and previous residency in Russia while her husband was a diplomat. Her image was the only woman's image placed on Confederate notes, excluding an array of mythical goddesses.

1550758711795.png

I was born in 1832 in LaGrange, Tn. into the Holcombe family. Our pre Civil War travel took us to St.Petersburg, Russia. While in Russia I had a daughter who was the Goddaughter of Czarina Cathrine. At the onset of the War, I used the jewels given to me by the Czar to outfit seven companies of infantry and one of cavalry. I was the only woman to be afforded this honor by the C.S.A..

Who am I and what was the Honor I received?

credit: @JOHN42768
Lucy Holcombe Pickens, wife South Carolina governor of Francis Pickens. Known as the "Queen of the Confederacy" for her beauty. The only woman to have an army unit named for her -- Lucy Holcombe Legion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back