1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trivia Question 2-17-17 Who Said That & Bonus

Discussion in 'War Between the States Trivia Game' started by Trivia Master, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Jeb Stuart said "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously” about his father-in-law, Philip St. George Cooke.

Bonus:
    1. In Medical Recollections of the Army of the Potomac, page 158, Jonathan Letterman wrote:
    On that day (July 6, 1863) and the next the Army moved toward the Potomac. As I was obliged to leave with the Commanding General, I placed the wounded under the general charge of Surgeon Henry Janes, US Volunteers. Assistant-Surgeon [Jeremiah B.] Brinton was directed to act as Medical Purveyor....."
    https://archive.org/stream/medicalrecollect00lettuoft#page/180/mode/2up/search/gettysburg

2. In his official report, dated CAMP NEAR CULPEPPER C.H., VA., October 3, 1863, Letterman wrote:
    "The reports of Dr.[Jeremiah B.] Brinton and Dr. Taylor show that I ordered more supplies than were used up to the 18th of July, when the hospitals were taken from under my control." http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/civil/Gettysburg/Gettysburgrpt.html

Surgeon Henry Janes remained in charge of the wounded and hospitals until at least end of Nov.1863 when the last wounded were removed. As for US General Hospital Camp Letterman: "Construction began on July 16 and the facility opened on July 22 in charge of a 10th Massachusetts doctor, C.N. Chamberlain....Officially, Letterman Hospital closed at the end of that month [Nov.], but a skeleton staff remained under Surgeon [Henry] Janes to break up the camp, and send off all government supplies and material. " http://npshistory.com/series/symposia/gettysburg_seminars/6/essay9.htm

Further corroboration that Henry Janes remained "Surgeon in Charge of Hospitals" and that C N Chamberlain remained "Surgeon in Charge General Hospital" [US Genl Hosp. Camp Letterman] can be found in this source where both men appear as signatories to a letter dated "Near Gettysburg, Sept. 26, 1863" recognizing the contributions of the Sanitary Commission.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=1...ge&q=surgeon "J D Osborne" gettysburg&f=false

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. hoosier

hoosier 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Main question: J. E. B. Stuart said it about his father-in-law, Philip St. George Cooke, after learning that Cooke had chosen to remain in the U. S. Army instead of joining the Confederate forces.

Bonus: Part 1 - Letterman left Dr. Henry Janes in charge.
    Part 2 - Harder to find a reference with a specific answer for this part, but my best guess is Maj. John McNulty, Medical Director of XII Corps.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Regular question: J.E.B. Stuart said it about his father-in-law Union brevet Major General Phillip St. George Cooke.

"He will regret it only once, and that will be continually."

5. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

JEB Stuart about his father-in-law Philip St. George Cooke Stuart, who had decided to stay in the United States army.

1. From Letterman's report of October 3, 1863 on the battle and use of the medical corps: Dr. [Henry] Janes, who was left in charge of the hospitals at Gettysburg, reports that quite a number of surgeons came and volunteered their services.

Dr. Janes was left in general charge of the hospitals, and, to provide against contingencies, was directed, if he could not communicate with me, to do so directly with the Surgeon-General, so that he had full power to call directly upon the Surgeon-General to supply any want that might arise.

http://civilwarhome.com/lettermanor3.htm

2. Question is a bit confusing as "charge of the wounded at Gettysburg" and "took over responsibility for the wounded and hospitals at Gettysburg" seems to say the same thing

Edit - I'm going to give credit for the answer to the main question as a correct answer, since it clearly identifies who said the words and his familial relationship to the person about whom he said them, even though J. E. B. Stuart's father-in-law's last name, of course, was not Stuart.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  6. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Bonus #1: There is no definitive answer for this one available on the internet other than to say when Dr. Letterman went south in pursuit of Lee with the Army of the Potomac he left behind 106 doctors/surgeons out of 650. Even in Letterman's official report he doesn't name names EXCEPT FOR......

Bonus #2: Dr. Henry Janes was ultimately left in charge of the wounded and hospitals at Gettysburg until all closed in November 1863.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14502426

7. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Bonus question:
    (proved to be more difficult to me than I thought ...All highlighting in the sources by me)

1) Letterman left behind 106 medical officers to care for the wounded with Surgeon Dr. H. Janes in general charge, formerly of the 3rd Vermont

“One hundred and six medical officers were left behind when the army left; no more could be left, as it was expected that another battle would, within three or four days, take place; and, in all probability, as many wounded be thrown upon our hands as at the battle of the 2d and 3d, which had just occurred. ** I asked the Surgeon General, July 7th, to send twenty medical officers to report to Surgeon H. Janes, hoping they might prove of some benefit, tinder the direction of the medical officers of this army who had been left behind. I cannot learn that they were ever sent. Dr. Janes was left in general charge of the hospitals, and, to provide against contingencies, was directed, if he could not communicate with me, to do so directly with the Surgeon General, so that be bad full power to call directly upon the Surgeon General to supply any want that might arise.“
    From: Report on the Operations of the Medical Department during the Battle of Gettysburg. By Surgeon JONATHAN LETTERMAN, U.S.A., Medical Director Army of the Potomac

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/civil/Gettysburg/Gettysburgrpt.html

Several changes improved the climate for these patients. The first was that Letterman, upon his departure, placed Dr. Henry Janes in charge of all of the field hospitals at Gettysburg. Janes was a U.S. Volunteer surgeon formerly of the 3rd Vermont Infantry, a Sixth Corps unit. He quickly moved to consolidate the entirety of medical facilities both U.S. and C.S., whether in private dwellings, on farms, or in divisional tent/field hospitals, into one general and more permanent establishment east of the town.
    http://npshistory.com/series/symposia/gettysburg_seminars/6/essay9.htm

2) Dr. C. N. Chamberlain from the 10th Massachusetts

“For the men too ill or hurt to stand evacuation immediately a general hospital had been authorized and was laid out one mile east of Gettysburg on the south side of the York pike. Construction began on July 16 and the facility opened on July 22 in charge of a 10th Massachusetts doctor, C.N. Chamberlain. In total it held up to several thousand inhabitants, where, upon an elevated and attractive site, were erected as many as 400 tents, most situated in six double rows, ten feet apart, with each tent capable of holding 8-12 patients. The entire camp, named after the medical director, was on a plot of 80 acres, with a good spring of water, and stood just a few hundred yards north of the railroad where it began to parallel the pike, and opposite the site of the first sanitary lodge.“

8. 57th Indiana Infantry

57th Indiana Infantry Corporal Trivia Game Winner

J.E.B. Stuart
    In regards to his father-in-law Brig. Gen. Philip St. George Cooke

Bonus:

1) Dr. Henry Janes...Dr. Janes was left in general charge of the hospitals, and to provide against contingencies, was directed, if he could not communicate with me (Letterman), to do so directly with the Surgeon-General, so that he had full power to call directly upon the Surgeon-General to supply and want that might arise. I (Letterman), however, asked the Surgeon-General, July 7, to send 20 medical officers to report to Dr. Janes, hoping they might prove of some benefit.

2) Seems Dr. Henry Janes is both answers, he was in charge long after July 18th (early 1864).

Now, the Medical Director after Letterman was Thomas McParlin

9. chellers

chellers Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Jeb Stuart

Bonus
    T. A. Parlun
    Henry Janes

Edit - The main question asked not only who said the words in question, but also about whom he said them.

Hoosier

10. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Who James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart
    Whom Philip St. George Cooke

Bonus.

This a a difficult question to ascertain its intent. I hope I interpreted in correctly. Janes was easy, King not so much. Whew!

Answers. Dr Henry Janes and WS King

Letterman assigned Henry Janes the task of the care of the Gettysburg wounded and hospitals.

W S King - General Hammond transferred hospital command to the Department of Susquehanna
    Medical director WS King.

I see that Letterman claimed adequate supplies were delivered by Stanton and Hammond were highly critical of the lack of medical supplies at Gettysburg. Looks like Meade took the fall but it still impacted Letterman.

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...page&q=w s king susquehanna letterman&f=false

11. sarladaise

sarladaise First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

...and that will be continuously". Jeb Stuart about his father-in-law Philipp St. George Cooke.

Bonus: 1) I couldn't find anyone specific left in overall charge of the wounded, which were taken care of
    by the surgeons of each Corps, Letterman mentions in his report that Dr. John D. McNulty of the XII Corps
    was better equipped than most of the others. He also mentions Dr. Justin Dwinell of the II Corps.
    2. Dr. Henry Janes took charge of Camp Letterman and the other hospitals at Gettysburg.

William G Hendry, DBF, JohnW. and 7 others like this.
  12. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

J.E.B. Stuart. "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously."

Friday Bonus #1: I have spent over 3 hours this weekend looking for the answer to the first question. I've read reports, articles, selections from various books and could not find a direct answer for this answer. Every source indicates that the care of the wounded were left in the hands of Division doctors, and volunteer groups such as the Christian and Sanitary Commissions.

2. Dr. Henry Janes

"Dr. Janes was left in general charge of the hospitals, and, to provide against contingencies, was directed, if he could not communicate with me, to do so directly with the Surgeon-General, so that he had full power to call directly upon the Surgeon-General to supply any want that might arise."
    https://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/cwsurgeon/cwsurgeon/gburgreport

"The first was that Letterman, upon his departure, placed Dr. Henry Janes in charge of all of the field hospitals at Gettysburg."

Edit - The main question asked not only who said the words in question, but also about whom he said them.

Hoosier

13. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Upon learning that his father-in-law would serve under the Union banner, Stuart wrote: "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." In a war the split families Stuart's brother-in-law was Brig. Gen. John Rogers Cooke served with the Confederacy.
    *************************************************************************************************
    Cornelia Hancock

Dr. Janes was left in general charge of the hospitals, and, to provide against contingencies, was directed, if he could not communicate with me, to do so directly with the Surgeon-General, so that he had full power to call directly upon the Surgeon-General to supply any want that might arise.

Edit - I'm going to give credit for the answer to the main question, though it would have been better if it had stated the full names of both the author of the quote and the person about whom it was said.

Hoosier

14. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Bonus 2 seems a little redundant to me. There were two medical inspectors at Gettysburg after the battle; John M. Cuyler apparently was the ranking and senior medical officer present and Edward P. Vollum was put in charge of medical transportation. But as far as I read Janes stayed in command until at least December. So the answer again is Janes.

Main source are the respective reports in the ORs (XVII, Part I).

15. bixby272

bixby272 Sergeant

J. E. B. Stuart / Col. Cooke

Surgeon Henry James both 1 and 2?

Edit - I will give credit for "Col. Cooke" as a correct answer to the main question. As far as I can determine, J. E. B. Stuart made the remark when Philip St. George Cooke made the decision to remain with the Union, which happened right at the beginning of the war. At that time, Philip St. George Cooke ranked as a colonel - he was not promoted to general until November 1861. John Rogers Cooke did not attain the rank of colonel until the following year.

Hoosier

16. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

Answer: JEB Stuart, about his father-in-law, Philip St. George Cooke
    Source: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Jeb_Stuart

bonus Answers :

1/Surgeon Henry Janes
    2/Surgeon W.S King Medical Director of the Department of Susquehanna.

source. Debris of Battle, the Wounded of Gettysburg by Gerard A Patterson

Edit - In regard to the bonus question, the source for the information about Surgeon W. S. King taking charge on July 18 is a book to which, apparently, none of our players could find access on the Internet. I couldn't find access to it even after knowing the name of the book. Therefore, I am going to rule that Part 2 of the bonus question was too difficult and no one will lose credit for failing to give the correct answer to that part.

I am going to give credit for any answers naming Henry Janes as the answer to either Part 1 or Part 2, since sources have been presented to verify that Janes was in a position of authority over the Gettysburg hospital operations well after July 18.

Three huzzahs and a tiger (but, sorry, no extra points) for Wallyfish, the only player able to find access to any source on the Internet that identified King as taking charge.

Hoosier

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.