Trivia 2-11-20 Three Parter

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Who am I ? Assuming the name being asked for is a location, not an individual, the answer is Roanoke Island, North Carolina.

2. Who were the new "colonists" ? The slaves formerly living in the Confederate fortifications on Roanoke Island and surrounding North Carolina mainland. Initially classified as "contraband", they were declared, by the provisions of the Emancipation Proclamation, and now in Union-occupied territory, to be freed.

3. What was the name of the colony ? The Freedmen's Colony of Roanoke Island. For more in-depth information go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedmen's_Colony_of_Roanoke_Island.

Roanoke Island
The new colony at Roanoke Island started as a "contraband" camp. After emancipation, more freedmen arrived. So the new colonists were formerly enslaved people.
The Freedmen's Colony of Roanoke Island, aka the Roanoke Island Freedmen's Colony, or "Freedman's Colony"
Source

1) Sir Walter Raleigh (Roanoke Island was the site of the Roanoke Colony)
2) After Union forces took over the island in 1862, slaves migrated there for relative freedom, as they were considered contraband by the military, who would not return them to the Confederates.
3) Roanoke Island Freedmen's Colony

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Roanoke_Island&oldid=939497059

Edit - This answer is acceptable. See edit to post # 4.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say 1. Brazil 2. Confederados 3. Americana

I couldn't find reference to the late 16th century colony in Brazil that wasn't there when a ship returned with supplies, so I'm not at all sure about this.

The Roanoke Colony fits the late 16th century scenario, but I can't find reference to any colonies being established there during the Civil War. Since the question said that the ship was sent for supplies to Europe, which doesn't necessarily mean England, I decided to go with the Brazilian colony.

Edit - Guess I overthought this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back