1st US Sharpshooter with flag

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
George W. Fox. Blue or green frock coat?

ss 123.jpg

Got any history on this man?

Not really. I am going to the State of Michigan Achieves and look at some of their 1000+ Michigan Civil War photographs and am giving some thoughts to looking at this image. I was trying to find some images of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters to study thier uniforms, but the Achieves only has a couple of images so I need to have a couple more images to look at.

I am interesting in learning more about the uniforms worn by the 1st Michigan Sharpshooter. So tonight I looked at the 17 images of Michigan Sharpshooters in my Military Images magazine Vol. XVI No 3 Nov-Dec 1994 which is the Michigan issue. I want to go to the Achieves (it is only one mile drive) and look at the man on the right.

mich sss.jpg

The NCO stripes and other trim in the right two images does not look as light as it should be and I want to investigate the possibility of the NCO stripes being green. I think the man in the middle image has "MSS" on his hat (could be "1MSS"). Also it is interesting that the Hall's Independent Sharpshooter on the right has a saber or sword.

Got any history on this man?

My Military Images magazine identifies him as "George W. Fox, enlisted in Company I of the 1st United States Sharpshooters on November 1, 1863 he transferred to the Invalid Corps, reason unknown. Carte de viste courtsy of the Stat Achieves of Michigan. " So it is possible he is wearing a Invalid Corps uniform (well standard US Infantry in this case)

My Military Images magazine identifies him as "George W. Fox, enlisted in Company I of the 1st United States Sharpshooters on November 1, 1863 he transferred to the Invalid Corps, reason unknown. Carte de viste courtsy of the Stat Achieves of Michigan. " So it is possible he is wearing a Invalid Corps uniform (well standard US Infantry in this case)
Thanks. Fox is a family name. I’ll have to check with the Family archivist just out of curiosity. He is out of the Canadian line I am sure. :smile coffee:

Back