1st United States Hussars Regiment/3rd New Jersey Cavalry Regiment.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
One of the earlier illustration of the unit was Military Uniforms in America plat #136. This is a black and white copy of it.
Scanj.jpg

Well many of use can easily see the mistakes. No chin strap, lack of braid on the collars, misplace and missing cap insignia, and caps that resemble pill box cap. Sill this was a start and many artists have added illustrations of the unit. So should the regiment be illustrated with their famous hussar jackets in the filed? They were issued lined sack coats and rubber ponchos. They also received 69 stable coats, and 194 greatcoats. One entry claimed they received 209 Zoauve caps.
nj 2.jpg

Needs more wings...

I find these illustrations of what units were supposed to look like fascinating. I also never ceased to be amazed at how so many militia "units" that were really just fancy dress drinking clubs formed into a functional army. (Not saying this is the case with the 3rd New Jersey)

Hello from France. It seems that there have been many variations in the uniforms worn by the 3rd NJ Cavalry as evidenced by these few photos.
.Shepard F. stewart 3rd NJ Cav.jpg

Pvt Shepard F Stewart wearing what looks like a kepi
3rd NJ Cav Pvt Samuel Bennett.jpg

Pvt Samuel Bennet with a more classical headgear
3rd NJ Cav Pvt John M. Clayton 2.jpg

And Pvt John M Clayton with a hat (sorry for the poor quality of this last picture, but the original I had was pretty small…)

Another one.
View attachment 306457
Note the fur and the original interpretation of the dolman. Winter outfit?

I am guessing that this is a version of the hussar pelisse and not a version of winter clothing. If so it is not very elaborate. The pelisse is intended as a defensive dress and worn loose and hanging over the left shoulder during combat to protect against sword cuts.

Back