1st Texas Heavy Artillery

Rusty_S

Cadet
Below is what I have so far in my records.

1st Texas Heavy Artillery, Company H (Catching's Company)
Overview : 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment was organized at Galveston, Texas, during the winter of 1861-62 using the 3rd Texas Artillery Battalion as its nucleus. The unit served in the Trans-Mississippi department primarily at Galveston and along the upper Texas coast. Company F was stationed at Sabine Pass during September, 1863, and was prominent in the surrender of two Federal gunboats, the Sachem and Clifton. In April 1864, it was stationed at Galveston Island with 23 officers and 462 men, and in April 1865, there were 430 present for duty. The regiment was included in the surrender on June 2. Its commanders were Colonel Joseph J. Cook, Lieutenant Colonel John H. Manly, and Major Edward Von Harten.

One of the slips I was able to find was a receipt roll that lists the unit as 1 Heavy Artillery with below the name Co H Cook's Regiment of Artillery.

On my muster roll I have I see the enlistment date is May 11, 1863 at Gonzales Texas. So if anyone knows of anything specific post May 11, 1863 I would love to read it. I am mainly looking for anything pertaining to Company H how ever, not doing a history of the regiments themselves as much as trying to create a detailed campaign list for my relatives.

Below is what I have so far in my records.

1st Texas Heavy Artillery, Company H (Catching's Company)
Overview : 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment was organized at Galveston, Texas, during the winter of 1861-62 using the 3rd Texas Artillery Battalion as its nucleus. The unit served in the Trans-Mississippi department primarily at Galveston and along the upper Texas coast. Company F was stationed at Sabine Pass during September, 1863, and was prominent in the surrender of two Federal gunboats, the Sachem and Clifton. In April 1864, it was stationed at Galveston Island with 23 officers and 462 men, and in April 1865, there were 430 present for duty. The regiment was included in the surrender on June 2. Its commanders were Colonel Joseph J. Cook, Lieutenant Colonel John H. Manly, and Major Edward Von Harten.

One of the slips I was able to find was a receipt roll that lists the unit as 1 Heavy Artillery with below the name Co H Cook's Regiment of Artillery.

On my muster roll I have I see the enlistment date is May 11, 1863 at Gonzales Texas. So if anyone knows of anything specific post May 11, 1863 I would love to read it. I am mainly looking for anything pertaining to Company H how ever, not doing a history of the regiments themselves as much as trying to create a detailed campaign list for my relatives.
I believe one of the Companies was Dick Dowling's Jeff Davis Guards, which defended Sabine Pass against a Federal incursion.

9/13/61 Cook appointed Major of Arty Bn

9/15/61 Bn organized [also shown as 9/13/61 & 9/29/61]

4/28/62-1st​ Regt [aka Cook's Regt H Arty] formerly 3rd​ aka 1st​ Arty Bn organized
Cook elected Col

4/29/62 Galveston, Hqs 1st​ Bgde-Col Cook cdg sub dist

12/6/62 Fort Hebert-Col Cook to Magruder asking for the 1000 Enfield rifles Magruder said he had in order to arm the 1000 well drilled men in his regt. Presently I have only 742 old muskets. I assure you that then I can provide you the best Regt that the state affords & who are anxious for an opportunity to use their arms. My men will soon have their gray uniforms issued, & my officers are all uniformed & armed with swords & pistols.

1/1/63 engaged in battle of Galveston

8/4/63 Galveston-Cook to Magruder through Col Debray cdg sub dist-As it is the intention of the cdg Gen to proceed to W La with a force, the officers & men of Cook’s Regt would delight in being a part of the force. The Regt now numbers 1000 rank & file.​

Back