1st Regiment South Carolina Artillery

Greetings

Duncan, Warren A.
1st Regiment South Carolina Artillery from Pickens, SC

I am looking for service information for a friend for his family member to know where he was when he was away serving in this unit.

nps.gov shows: 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment was organized during the fall of 1861 using the 1st South Carolina Artillery Battalion as its nucleus.
Thanks
Tommy

I am looking for service information for a friend for his family member to know where he was when he was away serving in this unit.

Sorry, I have no info on his individual service, but here's the itinerary for his unit. It will enlarge somewhat by clicking on it.

Screenshot (69).png

Greetings

Duncan, Warren A.
1st Regiment South Carolina Artillery from Pickens, SC

nps.gov shows: 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment was organized during the fall of 1861 using the 1st South Carolina Artillery Battalion as its nucleus.
Thanks
Tommy
Do you have his CSR?

Here are his Fold3 records. It started out as the 1st S.C. Arty battalion. If you look on the 2nd page at the bottom you will see the progression of this unit.

Attachments

• duncan w.pdf
    624.6 KB · Views: 60
1st​ CSR Card

1st​ Regiment South Carolina Artillery

Company I

Warren A. Duncan
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38771480/warren-duncan

Enlisted Sept. 1, 1863 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

Where John Island

By Capt. Sullivan

Card Numbers

4922 1390

2nd​ CSR Card

For Mch & Apl 1864 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

Ab without leave furlough exf____ aft 1864 (could not make out these letters)

1st​ Battalion South Carolina Artillery, consisting of five companies (A to E), was raised by the State before the formation of the Confederacy and was mustered into the service of the Confederate States in May 1861 under the same enlistment.

Companies F and G were added to the battalion in October and November 1861 and Companies H and I in February 1862.

1st​ Regiment South Carolina Artillery was organized March 25, 1862 with these nine companies and Company K the tenth company was formed by S O 231 Dept SC GA FL dated April 12, 1862.

3rd CSR Card

For May to June 1864 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

4th CSR Card

For July to Aug 1864 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

Absent sick since July 1864 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

5th CSR Card

Sept & Oct 1864 (It would be great to know what this unit was doing during this time period)

Absent sick furlough from Oct 20 for 30 days from Oct 20 1864

6th CSR Card

For Nov & Dec 1864

Absent sick in Hospital at Greenville S. C since Dec 13 1864

Does anyone know any history behind a hospital in Greenville SC for this time period?

Thanks everyone for this great help

Tommy

Last edited:
They are all Co I it just looks like a D, now that you have this info it gives you a base to start your research and answer all those pesky questions.

Back