1st Lieutenant Richard G. DePuy from the 4th Michigan Infantry

Robert Gray

Sergeant Major
1st. Lieutenant Richard G. DePuy and members of Company D, 4th Michigan Infantry. A lawyer and father of four young children, he was from Ann Arbor and 30 years old. Commissioned Captain in Co. K on August 20, 1861, he was killed in action at Gaines' Mill, Va. on June 27, 1862. (National Archives)

64874444_10156077830812133_5034249451040931840_n (Co D).jpg

There was a great 4th Michigan website that unfortunately went offline within the past year that had information on the locations that the outside Brady portraits were taken. You can view a cached version here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170302173315/http://4thmichigan.com/4th_mi_camp_life_photographs.htm

The website that you were referring to at 4thMichigan.com was replaced by me a few years ago. If you'll go to 4thmichigan.wordpress.com you'll find a much more improved site entitled "Crossing Hell on a Wooden Bridge".

Website Title image.JPG

On the website, which is dedicated entirely to the men of the Fourth Michigan Infantry, you will find hundreds of wartime letters and over a dozen diary accounts, several photographs of their relics, and more wartime and post-war photographs than can be found in any other printed or online source. It is, and always will be, a work in progress. So please keep that in mind when you visit.

My great-grandfather was in the reorganized 4th Michigan, Co. I. I discovered that when I was researching the 19th Ohio. As it turned out the 4th Michigan was brigaded (Third Brigade) with the 19th Ohio under command of Brigade Commander Fred Knefler and Third Division Commander, the 19th Ohio's own Samuel Beatty.

The duty in Texas was dreadful with much loss to disease with one killed in action and 119 to disease in the 4th Michigan. I have 14 pages about their shared adventure in Dixie Odyssey. Other than an extensive masters degree thesis, I could find very little about this seemingly ignored service. Seems to me this would be a good field of research for one of the many authors on this forum.

When you look at their photos, they always have Bowie knives on them. There must be something to this...does anyone have any info on this subject?

My great-grandfather was in the reorganized 4th Michigan, Co. I. I discovered that when I was researching the 19th Ohio. As it turned out the 4th Michigan was brigaded (Third Brigade) with the 19th Ohio under command of Brigade Commander Fred Knefler and Third Division Commander, the 19th Ohio's own Samuel Beatty.

The duty in Texas was dreadful with much loss to disease with one killed in action and 119 to disease in the 4th Michigan. I have 14 pages about their shared adventure in Dixie Odyssey. Other than an extensive masters degree thesis, I could find very little about this seemingly ignored service. Seems to me this would be a good field of research for one of the many authors on this forum.
So which soldier in the Reorganized Fourth Michigan Infantry was your grandfather? I have in my personal collection, a photo album that belonged to a soldier in Company I of the Reorganized 4th. I also have his hat, his id'd canteen, and his post war ladder badge. On my website there are several letters written by Captain David Fox in which he shares some of his experiences with the reorganized Fourth Michigan Infantry. You may want to check them out.

Back