1st found dug civil war bullet

RSMorris

First Sergeant
After 33 trips of detecting in swampy, poison ivy infested, snake infested woods. FInally found my my first civil war bullet in Lovejoy GA. Perfect 76 signal about 8 inches underground. Found it where the red square is. This is the middle part of the battle area in Lovejoy. That small square of woods is one of the last areas where one can get into to detect. The large square to the right is a landfill. The rest is now filled with neighborhoods.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 12.44.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 12.42.14 PM.png

Last edited:
After 33 trips of detecting in swampy, poison ivy infested, snake infested woods. FInally found my my first civil war bullet in Lovejoy GA. Perfect 76 signal about 8 inches underground.

View attachment 417190
Congratulations and you may forget what you had for breakfast, but you will remember this day.

There you go and @redbob is right as 47 years later I still remember my first one. Now get it cleaned up and lets see what type it is as I believe its a carbine bullet from the base.

Cleaned it up a bit. Having a bit of an issue id'ing this bullet. It is def. 69 caliber, The length is short measuring only .89" Seems to only have one groove. Someone else made an observation and the more I look I think he is right. It appears the skirt has been blown off except for the portion remaining. So with the skirt measured it appears to be a three ring mini ball.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.00.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.00.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.01.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Back