1st California / 71st PVI

Hello,
New recruit falling in. My great great grandfather served in the 1st California / 71st PVI.
He was wounded in the West Woods at Antietam.
Captured at The Angle during Picketts Charge at Gettysburg.
Prisoner at Belle Island on the James River in Richmond.
Exchanged and spent time at Parole Camp outside Annapolis. (The area is now called Parole)
Transferred to the 69th PVI when the 71st was mustered out.
Served as hospital orderly in 69th.
Spent his last days at Old Soldiers Home in Elizabeth City, Va.
Interred at Louden Park National Cemetery, Baltimore, Md.
I reenact in the 1st California / 71st PVI.
Bruce

Hi, Thank you. I see you also know about our beloved Colonel Baker and the origins of the 1st California. Obtw, there was historical fiction novel out called "A Killing at Ball's Bluff", have you heard of it?

You are most welcome. I do know about Sen. Baker as I've read quite a bit about the politics in Oregon before, during, and after the war. Locally, there was a Camp Baker, named after the senator, and there's a Camp Baker Road now that goes by the old location.

I've not read the novel.

Hello,
New recruit falling in. My great great grandfather served in the 1st California / 71st PVI.
Exchanged and spent time at Parole Camp outside Annapolis. (The area is now called Parole)
Bruce
Welcome to the group!!! i have so many questions on this

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Hello,
Bruce

Welcome!

Gettysburg after battle report: Report of Col. R. Penn Smith, Seventy-first Pennsylvania Infantry. Jones' Cross-Roads, Md., July 12, 1863.

Capt.: I have the honor to report the conduct of the Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers during the late battles at Gettysburg, Pa., July 2 and 3. In the afternoon of the 2d instant, I went to the support of the Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, then on the front, and became engaged with the enemy, taking some 20 prisoners and retaking a brass cannon and limber which the enemy held. About dark of this day, by an order through Capt. Duffy, I was ordered to the support of a portion of the Eleventh Corps. Having arrived on the ground, I could find no general to report to who had command of any one portion of the troops. An adjutant-general directed me to proceed to the front, assuring me that all was safe on either flank. Arriving at the front, I became engaged with the enemy on the front. At the same time he attacked me on my right and rear. I immediately ordered my command to retire to the road in my rear, when I returned to camp against orders. During the engagement, I lost 3 commissioned officers and 11 enlisted men. On the 3d instant, some 50 of my men assisted in working Lieut. Cushing's battery, while the balance were in position, protected by a stone wall from an infantry attack, engaging the enemy and scattering confusion in his ranks, taking some 500 prisoners, as many arms, and 3 stand of rebel colors.* Loss, 22 killed, 59 wounded, and 19 missing. Among so many conspicuous acts of valor and daring, it is difficult to particularize individuals. I cannot but speak of my regiment in the highest terms. I would call attention to the conduct of Capt. McMahon and Private Young, of Company C, both of whom are under sentence of court-martial. I pray that the approval or disapproval of the findings of the court in the case of the first may be influenced in a great degree by his noble conduct in the field, and of the latter that the sentence may be revoked. I am, with great respect, your obedient servant, R. PENN SMITH, Col., Comdg. Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers. Capt. C. H. Banes, Assistant Adjutant-Gen. __________ * A medal of honor awarded to Private John E. Clopp for the capture of the flag of the Ninth Virginia Infantry. Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 27. Part I. Reports. Serial No. 43

Last edited:
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums.

Welcome!

Gettysburg after battle report: Report of Col. R. Penn Smith, Seventy-first Pennsylvania Infantry. Jones' Cross-Roads, Md., July 12, 1863.

Capt.: I have the honor to report the conduct of the Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers during the late battles at Gettysburg, Pa., July 2 and 3. In the afternoon of the 2d instant, I went to the support of the Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, then on the front, and became engaged with the enemy, taking some 20 prisoners and retaking a brass cannon and limber which the enemy held. About dark of this day, by an order through Capt. Duffy, I was ordered to the support of a portion of the Eleventh Corps. Having arrived on the ground, I could find no general to report to who had command of any one portion of the troops. An adjutant-general directed me to proceed to the front, assuring me that all was safe on either flank. Arriving at the front, I became engaged with the enemy on the front. At the same time he attacked me on my right and rear. I immediately ordered my command to retire to the road in my rear, when I returned to camp against orders. During the engagement, I lost 3 commissioned officers and 11 enlisted men. On the 3d instant, some 50 of my men assisted in working Lieut. Cushing's battery, while the balance were in position, protected by a stone wall from an infantry attack, engaging the enemy and scattering confusion in his ranks, taking some 500 prisoners, as many arms, and 3 stand of rebel colors.* Loss, 22 killed, 59 wounded, and 19 missing. Among so many conspicuous acts of valor and daring, it is difficult to particularize individuals. I cannot but speak of my regiment in the highest terms. I would call attention to the conduct of Capt. McMahon and Private Young, of Company C, both of whom are under sentence of court-martial. I pray that the approval or disapproval of the findings of the court in the case of the first may be influenced in a great degree by his noble conduct in the field, and of the latter that the sentence may be revoked. I am, with great respect, your obedient servant, R. PENN SMITH, Col., Comdg. Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers. Capt. C. H. Banes, Assistant Adjutant-Gen. __________ * A medal of honor awarded to Private John E. Clopp for the capture of the flag of the Ninth Virginia Infantry. Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 27. Part I. Reports. Serial No. 43
Thanks for posting that. I've read a lot about the 71st at Gettysburg, but I don't remember seeing Penn Smiths report. My ancestor was in Co. C at the wall. It's also interesting how Smith condenses the 71st's roll in the epic Battle of Gettysburg down to 1 paragraph.

It is good you are here! What is your gggrandfather’s name? I’m always interested in learning about Antietam veterans.
Pvt. James Kinsella
Co. C (originally in Co.M until the reorganization after Col. Bakers death.
In 2nd Corps field hospital at Susan Hoffman farm.
Sent to hospital in Baltimore.
Rejoined 71st sometime before Gettysburg. We are not sure when.

Back