1st&3rd Mo Consolidated Regiment Cav (dismounted)

archieclement

Colonel
After the prisoner exchange following Vicksburg the 1st Cav Regt and the 3rd Cav Batt consolidated and formed this Regt at Demopolis AL about Oct 1st 1863 under special order 17 Headquarters Paroled Prisoners. The unit became part of the 1st Missouri brigade with 3 similarly consolidated Inf Regt. The regt mustered fewer then 400 men after reorganization. After being raised and equipped at Demopolis it moved to Meridian MS and established winter quarters

A two month stay at Meridian ended when the 1st Mo Brigade was ordered to Mobile AL on Jan 9th 1864. Then in Feb its rushed back MS to counter Sherman's drive on Meridian. After some skirmishing with federal cav at Morton on Feb 10th and some duty rounding up deserters its next sent to the Atlanta Campaign. At beginning of Atlanta campaign it numbered 350 men and was attached to French's Division. it was exposed to Artillery and skirmishing at Rome and Cassville. Its first serious combat is near New Hope Church in late May and early June. On June 18th they fight at the Latimer House then withdraw to Pigeon Hill on Kennesaw Mountain. On June 27th the Federal assault the line and penetrate the position but the regt drove em back with hard fighting, losing 7 killed and 32 wounded.

As Kennesaw mountain line is withdrawn they see action at Smyrna July 3rd, Chattahoochee river July 5th and limited fighting along Peachtree Creek July 18th. Then is withdrawn into defenses around NW Atlanta experiencing nearly constant artillery and small arms for weeks. Aug 6th they participate in unsuccessful sortie on Turners Ferry road. After withdrawing from Atlanta on Sept 1st they move to Lovejoy Station with 2 companies skirmishing near Jonesborough on Sept 6. Throughout the campaign they suffered 25 killed, 80 wounded and 3 missing. almost a third of what they started with

They next participate on assault at Altoona occupying extreme right of the brigade line. they suffer 10 dead, 48 wounded, and 2 missing

Next up Franklin, the 1st Missouri Brigade aligns to the right of Cleburne, at this point the whole brigade numbers less then 700 men. The regt occupies the far right of the brigade line, they strike the Federal line near the Carter cotton gin but are stopped at the outer works. After 5 hours of vicious fighting the Regt losses were 35 killed, 33 wounded, another 22 wounded and captured, and 44 taken prisoner for a total loss of 134 officers and men,more then 60% of the Regts strength, including the Regt's original commander Elijah J Gates who was wounded and captured.

It goes to Nashville on Dec 2nd but is withdrawn Dec 10th to build fortifications near Johnsonville on Duck River. Following the defeat at Nashville the regt rejoins the army for winter quarters near Tupelo. march 24th it joins Mobile defenses where its assigned to Fort Blakely. April 9th whats left of the regt is overrun during the assault on Fort Blakely, what little is left is sent to prison on Ship Island

Last edited:
There are several books written about this brigade. I have "In Deadly Earnest, The History of the First Missouri Brigade, CSA". I haven't read it in 20 years or so, but I remember it was good, so I might pick it up again some day soon after reading this post.

There are several books written about this brigade. I have "In Deadly Earnest, The History of the First Missouri Brigade, CSA". I haven't read it in 20 years or so, but I remember it was good, so I might pick it up again some day soon after reading this post.
The sad and sobering thing to me is these consolidated Regt's were formed in the middle of the war, as horrible the losses they sustained are, it doesn't include the horrible losses they had sustained before consolidation at Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth, Port Gibson, Champion Hill, Big Black, Vicksburg......

I've posted a few things on the 1st & 3rd MO Cav. at Franklin here:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/scaling-the-works-at-franklin.148207/

Also Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cockrells-1st-missouri-brigade.130789/

Colonel Elijah Gates.jpg

Postwar photo of Col. Elijah Gates, who commanded the 1st Missouri Cavalry from its organization in January 1862 and later the consolidated regiment until the end of the war. He was wounded through both arms at Franklin, having the left amputated. Later taken prisoner while in field hospital, following the Confederate retreat from Nashville, but managed to escape, rejoining the regiment in time for Fort Blakely.

Last edited:
The sad and sobering thing to me is these consolidated Regt's were formed in the middle of the war, as horrible the losses they sustained are, it doesn't include the horrible losses they had sustained before consolidation at Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth, Port Gibson, Champion Hill, Big Black, Vicksburg......
What seems a little strange is that in the western theatre, most units that was consolidated pretty early in the war, was units from west of the Mississippi. Texas, Missouri and Arkansas regiments.
Tennessee and other western regiments also got consolidated, but not as early as the units from trans-mississippi. Maybe they could no fill their depleted ranks as good as regiments from east of the Mississippi?

It always seemed odd that T-M units were moved out the T-M. In 62 even though occupied substantial troops were raised from behind lines. However upon reaching CSA lines they would fall under T-M who would be reluctant to release them to other theatres when they felt they themselves needed the manpower, then after fall of Vicksburg there was little ability to xfer manpower even if they had wished to

Back