19th Century Social Media!

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
plate1.JPG

I dug up this calling card copper printing plate a few years back and wanted to share it on this thread.
I hope you find it interesting.
People use to carry cards with them as a method of introduction when visiting people or meeting people.
I guess you can say this was an early form of social media!
My understanding is that this was primarily something done by the upper class in society.
People would buy a case which contained a copper engraved plate along with blank cards and the owner would make the cards.

plate2.JPG

This particular calling card printing plate is for Gerald E. Kelly (in reverse print)

I've been trying to locate Gerald Kelly in census records and other community references but have been unsuccessful so far. To find out more about this man and his place in our community will be even more rewarding.

Calling cards were a big thing in the City of Washington 1861. It may be possible to get some newspaper advertisements here:
Lubliner.

@Tom Hughes very interesting indeed. Another history’s mysterys found. Question; Where did you find this plate card? Just a though if you found this in the city of Vicksburg maybe you can research the city’s history first or you can look for company that made the calling card printing plate! Happy New Year !
Happy New Year to you as well. Thank-you!
I found this plate in the city of Clinton, about 30 miles east of Vicksburg.

I can remember having these printed to include in my pre-printed Invitations to my High School graduation, and still have a few left over.

Back