19th-Century Brass Band Dissertation

Chris Troiano

Private

From Antiquity to Academia: A History of Early American Brass Bands and a Way Forward for Their Adaptation within Institutions of Higher Learning

Hi everyone. My dissertation is now available online for free at the link posted above. The document focuses on the history of brass bands through the 19th-century and the development of them as reenactment bands during the Civil War Centennial. Many of the documents I used to support my research are posted on my website at www.eabbpodcast.com under the Resources tab.

My accompanying lecture recital titled Expanding the Early American Brass Band Repertoire can be viewed here:

Thanks for making your work and research available again. I appreciate the comparison of the period vs. modern instruments. It was a local cornet player in the 19th Ohio Band that got me interested in local involvement in the Civil War. I have a band picture with John C Haines holding such a saxhorn. (?) Your dissertation allows me to experience the sounds the men in blue and gray would have listed to in those quiet evenings in camp. Thanks again.

Thanks for making your work and research available again. I appreciate the comparison of the period vs. modern instruments. It was a local cornet player in the 19th Ohio Band that got me interested in local involvement in the Civil War. I have a band picture with John C Haines holding such a saxhorn. (?) Your dissertation allows me to experience the sounds the men in blue and gray would have listed to in those quiet evenings in camp. Thanks again.
The over-the-shoulder instruments were and are casually referred to as saxhorns, but that's kind of a branded term like Q-Tip and Vaseline. Saxhorns made by Adolphe Sax were upright in design, not over-the-shoulder. I'm sure your image of Haines is fantastic!

Are you saying there was a local 19th Ohio reenactment band that got you into local Civil War history or that the original band sparked that interest?

Thank you for listening/watching/reading!

From Antiquity to Academia: A History of Early American Brass Bands and a Way Forward for Their Adaptation within Institutions of Higher Learning

Hi everyone. My dissertation is now available online for free at the link posted above. The document focuses on the history of brass bands through the 19th-century and the development of them as reenactment bands during the Civil War Centennial. Many of the documents I used to support my research are posted on my website at www.eabbpodcast.com under the Resources tab.

My accompanying lecture recital titled Expanding the Early American Brass Band Repertoire can be viewed here:
Thank you for posting your lecture recital, I really enjoyed listening to the opening piece of music, did I hear correctly that the opening song was written in 1982!
The music reminds me of the Yorkshire brass bands that we have over here, it’s very similar to Symphony No.9 in E minor, as you can probably guess my musical knowledge is limited but I did find your music very relaxing. I hope you don’t mind but I’ve posted a vid of some music that sounds very similar to the piece you were playing.

Are you saying there was a local 19th Ohio reenactment band that got you into local Civil War history or that the original band sparked that interest?
I played in a community band from 1960-1988 that was founded by a Civil War musician in both the 19th Ohio Band and the 104th Ohio Band. It is all told with pictures in a thread I started on Feb. 1, 2020 on the Music Forum.

Awesome, Chris! Thanks for sharing!

Back